Birdienut

I'm REALLY Missing Cold Cereal

This is part whine/part question.  Has anyone found a cereal we can eat?  Something that isn't overloaded on carbs?  I really miss occasionally having a bowl of cereal with cold milk.  I tried having some a month or so ago (mixture of Cinnamon Pecan Special K and Raisin Bran Crunch) and it didn't go well at all - the carbs had me feeling sick and dumping some.  (I experimented and it was definitely the carbs, not the milk.  I'm not lactose intolerant.)

I'm willing to try almost any kind of cereal - any suggestions?

Special K Protein has the lowest carbs of the protein cereals that I have found. The next best is the Cheerios Protein, I think. I can tolerate either of these every once in awhile but I had sleeve not by-pass so I don't deal with the dumping.

Good luck!

Edited by Graygost

Cereal with milk is a slider food.  Probably not the best choice, especially for RNY.  YMMV

I have had special k protein mixed in my greek yogurt on occassion to get a little crunch. I have also had it for dinner once or twice with milk when I was too lazy to cook and not feeling a protein shake. I wouldn't have it often. One box has lasted me since before surgery. 

I top my Greek yogurt with a little Special K Protein. ..adds a nice crunch.

If I miss the cereal crunch, I have done the greek yogurt with gluten free granola and almonds.

This is one of the first things I missed. You know those tiny packets of Lowfat granola they give you with a mcds yogurt parfait? I took an old spaghetti jar and put in two packets of those granolas and added in unsalted almonds, macadamia nuts, cashew halves, and sunflower seeds and when I get a cereal craving, I eat a handful of this

I eat ~ half a cup of cereal with frozen blueberries and ff milk once or twice a month, Fiber One, or there's one from TJ's I like that is crunchy flakes, forget the name of it. Most days, it's Greek yogurt for breakfast, sometimes an egg.

EDIT: Heritage flakes. Yeah, this has carbs, but I don't eat many anyway.  I know they are a big issue for some folks.

Edited by tmcgee

I have the sleeve so dumping is not an issue...but once every a week or once every other week I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch....it has more carbs than I should have but the protein count is pretty good especially when milk is added

I have the sleeve so dumping is not an issue...but once every a week or once every other week I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch....it has more carbs than I should have but the protein count is pretty good especially when milk is added

I don't dump either, and I like the Kashi too, even though I eat it infrequently/

I don't dump either, and I like the Kashi too, even though I eat it infrequently/

I dump with high fat foods only...avocado oh how I miss eating lots of you! I can only have a small tiny amount of fat!

Avocado was the first thing I dumped in. I cried I was so sad lol

Sometimes I'm grateful I don't dump on anything.  Especially where avocado is involved!  I can eat 'em all day long.

I tried some Fiber One cereal and it's pushing the bar with carbs.  I got it for the fiber but still have almost a whole box in there and it's been months. 

I had some avocado this afternoon with lunch and thankfully nothing happened. I did get a little flushed and sweaty when I ate some chili that I made a while pre-op and froze...didn't remember when I thawed it and ate it that it had barbecue sauce in it (my husband loves it.) I didn't eat much of it but if I did, I have a feeling it would have been much worse.

On the one hand I'm glad for the restriction on what I can have, but on the other I don't like having to worry about how certain foods are going to make me feel :-/

Sometimes I'm grateful I don't dump on anything.  Especially where avocado is involved!  I can eat 'em all day long.

I tried some Fiber One cereal and it's pushing the bar with carbs.  I got it for the fiber but still have almost a whole box in there and it's been months. 

I used to eat it every day for the fiber, now a box will last at least a year.  I've never dumped either -- so happy about that! Sometimes things don't settle well though -- different kind of discomfort...at least it is very infrequent now -- at 18 months plus...

Avacado? I think I know what they look like.   :D

Edited by tmcgee

Man I LOVED me so big ol' bowels of cereal prior to surgery.

They say we are not supposed to eat and drink at the same time so I never really understood why cereal was in the mealplan at some point in the book even.  Anyway....

I buy the Kashi cereal as well and always had just eaten dry for a snack or added it to yogurt.  I was like at least a year before I tried the cereal with milk.  I ate it, but honestly it wasn't that pleasant of a feeling lol.  Apparently everyones milage varies but for me....  cereal with milk wasn't all that appealing to the sleeve so now I see no point bothering with it.

Edited by Jolls

Every once in a while I get a cereal craving and I'll eat bran flakes with 2% milk. So good! But it makes me SO SICK every single time.

Some mornings, I have a kashi cereal (take your pick) for breakfast. A bit carby but I don't do much else in carbs during the day...

I have the protein Special K on occasion but just a little. Satisfies the craving when it's really bad.

A eat 1/5cup of special k protein cereal dry if I need a not of crunch. I agree with the others that cereal with milk is a slider.

Kashi original was on my list of can haves. It has protein and fiber. I mix it with my Greek yogurt. It stays with me more than just yogurt. I do about half a cup.

I can handle fats of any kind. Because I'm eating a low-carb diet, I think I may actually be eating more fats than before surgery. Healthy fats, though--mostly coconut oil, olive oil, and butter from pastured cows.

Sugars, on the other hand, I can't handle at all.

My nutritionist recommends Kashi Go Lean Crunch.  I am going to wait a while until I venture into the land of cereal.

I like Fiber One and Kashi Go Lean Crunch as well.  I use them for toppers with greek yogurt with a handful of frozen berries.  I also enjoy eating them with unsweetened Almond Milk.  I don't find these to be sliders.... they are actually quite filling and leave me satisfied for a long time.  For some reason, oatmeal is more of a slider food for me.

Me too! Chocolate, Milk, avacado and pb. I can have a small amount. Less than a table spoon, any more than that and I want to cry, throw up and then sleep for about  4 hours!