I am large breasted even before weight gain, with large areola .....if I have my breasts lifted after surgery...how would that work?  Will they look funny?

Hello CherokeeGirl,

Thanks for your question.

A breast lift after weight loss is very similar to a breast lift or reduction performed on someone with large breasts.

The scars are the same (an inverted T or anchor-shaped scar) and so is the recovery time.

The only difference is that usually after your weight loss, your breasts will be a lot smaller and you will have very little breast tissue, so an implant may also be necessary in addition to the breast lift.

I recommend you seek consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon once your weight is stable, to discuss your breast reconstruction options.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD FACS.

I'd like to know, as well, do they "trim" your areola to "fit" your smaller breasts? I have large diameter areola and I think they'd look silly on smaller breasts.

Thank you so much. I know, for fact, I will not do an implant. Just don't like the idea of something fake like that inside m that can rupture....but I do want to get a lift. I will check with the surgeon that works with the team as i am very comfortable and trust them.  I was just wonder is hte breasts get smaller...does the areola get smaller too?

Again, thank you for your answer

To answer both of your questions,

Unfortunately the areola do not shrink in size proportionately as the breasts decrease in size with weight loss.

And Yes an areola reduction is typically part of a breast lift or breast reduction procedure.

Abhay Gupta, MD FACS

Thank you for your reply!!!