Mamacita

4 years post op.....some good, some not so much.

Wow! Has it really been 4 years already? So, lets start off with the good...... at my lowest weight, I had lost a total of 120 lbs. went from a size 22/24 to a 4/6. I lost weight EVERYWHERE, I wasn't able to wear my wedding rings for several months until I was able to get them sized down 2 sizes. I went from a 8.5 shoe to a 7.5 and size 9 underwear to size 5. I took up running and ran three 5k races while living in central america. I had to adjust my car seat closer to the steering wheel because my belly no longer rubbed against it. I am now able to easily slide in and out of restaurant booths and amusement park rides. I had NO complications other than the occasional dump, but that was usually self inflicted by accident. I did lose a lot of hair around month 7 post-op, but it all grew back and is in good condition. I do have a lot of spare tummy, inner thigh and buttocks skin accompanied with the saggy, deflated boobs. I compare my naked body to a melted people candle :)

Now for the not so great....some WLS related, some not. I have had two bouts with my intestine becoming entangled with scar tissue. The first occasion required emergency surgery, the other which happened a few weeks ago didn't, but may in the future (WLS related). In July I was diagnosed with spondolysthesis which is a condition where one vertebrae breaks and slides over the one below it compressing the disc and nerves, this will require a lumbar spinal fusion surgery (not WLS related). While during the spinal diagnosing process, it was inadvertantly found that I also have thyroid cancer (not WLS related). I was scheduled to have a total thyroidectomy on Sept. 4th, but it was cancelled at the last minute because my potassium levels were dangerously low. My potassium level was also an issue during my intestinal surgery but because it was an emergency situation the doctors pumped a TON of potassium into me so that I could safely be anesthetized. This has never been an issue before so I'm guessing that I'm either not absorbing it properly (WLS related?) or I have an issue with my adrenal glands which I will be going to see a nephrologist for soon. My thyroidectomy has been rescheduled for Sept. 17th and I've been potassium loading like a crazy woman. Until my post-op follow up at the end of September, I won't know when my spinal fusion will be. And depending on what the final thyroid pathology reports reveal, I may need radiation therapy, but I'm not going to worry about that quite yet ;). i have had some weight regain...I am 30 lbs higher than my all time low and 20 lbs higher than my "comfortable" weight. As soon as all of these health issues are resolved, I will be able to exercise again and start getting back on track.

So, there it is....... I would have to say that even though the bypass has been the cause of some of my medical woes, I don't regret it for a minute! I have been able to do things I thought I'd never be able to do. And it's almost certain that my health would be MUCH worse if I had not had bypass.

I also finally got the nerve to get a pixie haircut.......and I LOVE it!!!

Edited by Mamacita

Congratulations, you look great and happy. Sorry for your ongoing health issues. We will all be thinking of you.

Best of luck to you regarding all your medical issues!

Thanks for sharing the good and the bad...I like to hear unvarnished accounts of what post surgical life holds.   Your success and maintenance are inspiring as well.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.  Please keep us posted.  Your hair is super cute!