princesssr1983

Northern California South Sacramento Kaiser Bariatric Program

Golly gee.  Obese and depressed.  Who woulda thought that?

IKR!? Im sure Im the only one who has ever had both of those conditions!

I hope all goes well for you princess. Make sure you get there in plenty of time. Their parking situation is horrible. I also feel like the person that if something could go wrong, it will. Hopefully not the case here.

Welcome to the newbies in the South Sac program. I am an "alumni" member :)

I have nothing but good things to say about my Dr and the program and staff at S.Sac Kaiser. Feel free to ask any questions. Best decision of my life!

I am so glad to hear that, klm. I am sooooo ready for this

Well I went to the info class on Tuesday. Called my dr on Wednesday. She called back in thursday and said she sent the referral. They said I should hear something from south sac by maybe wednesday? Does that sound about right? If not how long did it take for you? Also after they call you how long did you wait for the orientation class?

One step done for me!

After about a week, I gave them a call. I could have gone to the orientation last week but had a scheduling conflict.

Well I went to the info class on Tuesday. Called my dr on Wednesday. She called back in thursday and said she sent the referral. They said I should hear something from south sac by maybe wednesday? Does that sound about right? If not how long did it take for you? Also after they call you how long did you wait for the orientation class?

One step done for me!

Personally, I'm kinda surprised you haven't heard from them yet.  I think the bariatric team in South San Francisco contacted me about four hours after my PCP sent in the referral.  That right there, made me feel as if I was definitely doing the right thing.  They were great through the whole process.  Best of luck.

Well south sac called me today. They offered me the orientation tomorrow but I couldn't make it. They do it every Tuesday she said so I'm going next week.

Also can anyone give me any insight on the diet they have you do to loose the weight before the surgery? thanks

I went to the orientation today and was also able to have the consultation with my surgeon, Dr. Grinberg. They scheduled me for a nutrition appt. tomorrow. So excited to get this ball rolling. He left it up to me to decide which surgery I would like to get. I am undecided. Any thoughts from all of you would be greatly appreciated. And Go........

I went to the orientation today and was also able to have the consultation with my surgeon, Dr. Grinberg. They scheduled me for a nutrition appt. tomorrow. So excited to get this ball rolling. He left it up to me to decide which surgery I would like to get. I am undecided. Any thoughts from all of you would be greatly appreciated. And Go........

You will get a lot of answers on that for a lot of reasons. I of course personally prefer the bypass, but there will be many who prefer the sleeve.

I chose bypass for a lot of reasons. Most of those can be backed up and or rebutted by those choosing the same or other than I. I suggest read up on both and choose what you think is right for you.

Also can anyone give me any insight on the diet they have you do to loose the weight before the surgery? thanks

Ive never heard of Kaiser giving a specific diet for weight loss before surgery. You will get a diet for the days before your surgery once its scheduled. My surgeons (actually I saw two) both just said lose 15lbs.

He told me I need to lose 16 pounds. They have the 1200 calorie plan in the binder.

I followed the plan in the binder as it is what you need to try to do once you have recovered. It gave me a chance to practice not drinking with meals, eating protein first, weighing and measuring everything. It was good practice too for tracking what I ate. I had a hard time eating more than 900-1000 calories as I was always full. I lost 40+ lbs prior to surgery and was 18 lbs below goal weight on the day of surgery. I shared the diet with my sister who is not considering WLS at this point but it seems to be helping her too.

Kimber, as to which surgery to have, I would opt for the Sleeve, if you are not diabetic and no real health issues (gee, other than being fat!).  Three months out, I was could pretty much eat whatever I wanted.  Not a lot, you understand, but pretty much anything.  I recently went on vacation (10 days) and gained four pounds.  No biggie; I couldn't eat like I wanted and was not working out.  Those 4 lbs are now gone.  Anyway, that's my thought.  Best of luck.

So, I met with Sarah today and got my surgery date. Dec. 4th. OMG, S**t just got real!!!!!!!

So, I met with Sarah today and got my surgery date. Dec. 4th. OMG, S**t just got real!!!!!!!

This is when it starts to get scary!! Congrats on your date, that's pretty quick really! You will do great! Excited for you

thats awesome congrats. I'm still in the process. i have to loose 30 lbs. i got dr grinberg. He said i can have either the RNY or sleeve. Im leaning towards RNY. Ive lost 18. Im struggling with the diet and occasionally the exercise. I go to the gym almost every day once or twice for a half hour each. Thats all I can do at a time. I feel like its not enough. The diet is ok. I get cravings a lot. Im really trying to stick to it but its hard giving up a lot of stuff. And usually after dinner I get so hungry. I try to ignore it but sometimes its hard and I have a snack. I just dont know what to do. I mean I have lost weight so something is working, I guess I just want this so bad and it seems like its taking forever, I get a bit depressed but I keep pressing on. 

But I already had the nutrition class back in oct. Were you there? And I went to the support group. So thats all done. Ive started taking the multi vitamin and the calcium they said to start taking now. Im already taking vitamin D from my regular dr for low levels. So Im almost there. I try to stay positive and press on but occasioanly it gets to me. I know it won't all come off overnight, Im just anxious. Im very ready and excited.

I was at a nutrition class in October, as well. It was very hard for me to lose the five pounds I had to lose to make the appt. with Sarah, took forever it seemed. I am very nervous and excited.

Congratulations on getting your date! Now... Breathe! :)

You've got this and you will be on this side soon. Don't stock up on too many shakes, your taste buds may change. Shakes I loved prior to surgery I couldn't stand after. The one thing I highly recommend in the food department, sugar free popcicles! They are the best and for me were easily tolerated, those and broth.

Best wishes!!!

thats awesome congrats. I'm still in the process. i have to loose 30 lbs. i got dr grinberg. He said i can have either the RNY or sleeve. Im leaning towards RNY. Ive lost 18. Im struggling with the diet and occasionally the exercise. I go to the gym almost every day once or twice for a half hour each. Thats all I can do at a time. I feel like its not enough. The diet is ok. I get cravings a lot. Im really trying to stick to it but its hard giving up a lot of stuff. And usually after dinner I get so hungry. I try to ignore it but sometimes its hard and I have a snack. I just dont know what to do. I mean I have lost weight so something is working, I guess I just want this so bad and it seems like its taking forever, I get a bit depressed but I keep pressing on.

Princess, congrats on the weight you have lost! It's definately a hard road! Don't we all know how hard dieting is!!!

You are well on your way. For those snack moments I suggest either sugar free popcicles or broth at night. It's all about retraining your brain. During the day, keep things like cheese sticks on hand. Pre op I carried those and 100 calorie snack packs. Also, at times when you think you are hungry, try drinking a big glass of water and waiting for about 15 minutes and see how you feel. Often times thirst will present itself as hunger. Part of why I love having the sf popcicles around. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Keep up the progress, you've got this!

Princess, congrats on the weight you have lost! It's definately a hard road! Don't we all know how hard dieting is!!!

You are well on your way. For those snack moments I suggest either sugar free popcicles or broth at night. It's all about retraining your brain. During the day, keep things like cheese sticks on hand. Pre op I carried those and 100 calorie snack packs. Also, at times when you think you are hungry, try drinking a big glass of water and waiting for about 15 minutes and see how you feel. Often times thirst will present itself as hunger. Part of why I love having the sf popcicles around. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Keep up the progress, you've got this!

I completely agree with klm! In my former fat life I was a candy #!@$%. LOL, its the best way to describe it. Some days I still HAVE to have some candy. I keep sugar free hard candies around for when I just HAVE to have candy, or HAVE to have something. It takes a while to eat it and by then either I've forgotten about it or its satisfied.

Congratulations! Don't be scared, Kaiser is great you will be treated like a queen and the weight will come off...this is an exciting time for you!