princesssr1983

Northern California South Sacramento Kaiser Bariatric Program

I live in Northern California near Sacramento. I just talked with my doctor on Thursday about the program. She set me up for an information class this month and said she put in a referral for me for the program. But I have been reading that the referral comes after the info class. Can anyone clarify that? Also after the info class what comes next? She said I would be going through the bariatrics program at the South Sacramento facility. So what are all the steps until surgery? Im so anxious and so confused. Ive already started to try and loose weight because I want to get a jump start on it, since I read you have to loose weight before surgery. Any help and guidance would be appricated.

Sounds as if you definitely got a jump start on the process!  I think at the bariatric clinic they can see that you are signed up for the class, so that shouldn't be a problem.  Once you do get accepted, you'll go through some classes in South Sac.  They give you an info binder; read it!  And if they are like South City, you have to take the binder with you to all classes/appointments.  They will weigh you each time.  Pretty much after the first class, you'll get set with appointments for your surgeon, the shrink (if it's like SSF, no worries.  I was with him for maybe ten minutes), nutritionist, and dietitian.  Give you an idea, my PCP sent my referral in the end of January and my surgery was on April 16th.  So yep, it can go pretty quick.

Gotta go to work.  Best of luck and keep up apprised of your progress.  Peace

So what do they do at this first class that Im going to? How long is the class? You said if i get accepted? Is there a chance I won't get accepted?

Welcome!

It all depends on your insurance. I had to do the following:

Informational meeting

Appt with surgeon's group

Supervised weight loss program with my PCP

2 hour exercise and nutrition class

Psych Eval (my meeting was nearly 2 hours)

1 meeting with a Nutritionist

Endoscopy

Another appt with surgeon to review endoscopy results

Some test that I am blanking on the name right now where I drank this super chalky white stuff and they put me on a table that flipped around so they could see my stomach and intestines.

Blood work

- After I'd completely all of that, the paperwork was submitted to insurance for approval and then my surgery was scheduled. 

At the intro meeting they will tell you about all the steps. You might want to check and make sure WLS is a covered benefit for you. If it is, you can request their list of requirements to qualify.

Welcome and Good Luck!

So what do they do at this first class that Im going to? How long is the class? You said if i get accepted? Is there a chance I won't get accepted?

Chill, gurlfriend!!   Figure of speech.  Unless you have some really far-out medical issues, you're in.  The Intro, at least in Santa Rosa, was 90 to 2 hours in length. 

Hi there

I went through the So. Sac program and it was great. Still is in fact with after care and being available if you have questions.

For me it was:

PCP referred me for 2 hour orientation

At orientation signed up for Bariatric orientation- PCP had to formally refer me

Bariatric orientation was 4 hours. Overview by bariatric team. (Surgeon, nutritionist, RN etc) they will give you a binder which is very informative

Appointment with surgeon (sometimes on the same day)

Discuss with surgeon options and goals. He/she will tell you how much you need to lose prior to being scheduled for surgery

2 hour nutrition class

Attend at least one support group - 2 hrs. One is in the evening

When you get within a few pounds of your goal schedule your appointment with the psychologist

When you meet goal- meet with RN to have surgery scheduled

They schedule pretty fast as soon as you meet goal

Hope this helps- let me know if you have any questions

Thank you Robbi5. Just what I was looking for. What was your time frame from the time you had the first info class till your surgery date? My info class is in 2 weeks from yesterday in Vallejo and it seems like its taking forever lol

Its up to the surgeon if you will be accepted or not. There are lots of south sac Kaiser folks here, there is a huge post about it from a while back. I only know of one person that they gave a bit of a hard time accepting, for the most part if your BMI is 40 or 35 with comorbidities your in.

Your in good hands with Kaiser south sac, its a great program.

Welcome, I too did all the above and had to do a c papp test and yes I needed one. I'm sure if your PCP (family doc) suggested it you will qualify. If your using insurance to pay for it they will make you jump thru all the hoops. I also had to do 6 month with my PCP. It's all worth it in the end. When you go for the 1st meeting they should go over all the different types of surgeries. They should give time for you to ask questions. I made a list to take it really helped. I had to pay some out of pocket with my insurance you may want to check with yours. I know it seems like a long wait with insurance but like I said it's well worth it. To me the pre opt diet was the hardest part. My best wishes to you. PM me if you have any more questions.

Thank you Robbi5. Just what I was looking for. What was your time frame from the time you had the first info class till your surgery date? My info class is in 2 weeks from yesterday in Vallejo and it seems like its taking forever lol

I met with my surgeon mid April and had all my classes, tests and met my weight loss goals by third week of June. I could have had my surgery as early mid July however I was going on vacation and pushed it back to 8/7

Everyone is different. It does take a lot of time coordinating all the appointments and getting all the tests done. The doctor will order whatever tests you need pre op. It's all worth it to ensure you are educated and ready to make this change in your life.

Everyone is different but I was amazed how fast it was to get my surgery date, once I met all the requirements.

So, I attended the two hour information seminar today and sent my email to the PCP to refer me this evening. My primary already sent me to do blood work and a mammogram a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the whole process goes smoothly (and swiftly)...

By the time I woke up this morning, my Dr. Had emailed me that she sent over the referral....

I attended the 2 hr seminar the end of January.  My surgery was April 16th, so less than three months!!  Having read some of the "horror" stories about folks being dragged through the process, I am grateful for K-P.  Hope your time goes by quickly.

You're on your way! I hope it goes smoothly for you.

So, I am attending the 4 hour orientation at Kaiser South Sacramento on 9/30. So very excited for the ball to start rolling

CONGRATS !!!!!!!

oK

1) Information class to see if you want to proceed

2) egd/colon ( I had already had both of these done It may not both be required but I had family history of cancer)

3)Bariatric introduction to program

4) appointment with Bariatric surgion

5)Support group

6) nutrition class

7)psych evaluation (wont pschedule till your 5 pounds from goal)

8) preop physical with doctor   (wont pschedule till your 5 pounds from goal)

9) preop bariatric class (bring all your meds) (wont pschedule till your 5 pounds from goal)

10) bariatric support group class

11)  loose the weight

12) lab work preop

My surgery date was July 14th, 2014 with Dr. Y and My gf was May 8th , 2014 with Dr. Greenberg (Ithink was his name).  THE STAFF WAS AWESOME.  I've got my 4 month coming up in October and my gf just had her 4 month.  Work the plan get extra support if you need it.  This is not just weight loss surgery it is a lifestyle change.  I am down total 71 pounds.   Day of surgery I was 270 when I made my appointments in January I was 305  sign in for first appointment was 297.  

Looks like everyone else answered your questions for the most part. Your PCP will send you do the initial informational class but then the bariatric dept takes over. I was initially denied. LONG story and it makes me mad even thinking about it LOL. Nobody let me know I was denied either! I did the first class then waited and waited and waited. Finally through my PCP discovering I was denied. It took me a year of fighting and arguing with everyone at Kaiser (it seemed) except the janitor. I had to go through the state to get it approved.  Of course my experience is not typical, its just the kind of thing that happens to me LOL. Im the person who gets in the fast moving line and it stops.

I truly am surprised that Kaiser denied you, especially with over 100 lbs to lose.  Did they give you a reason?  Anyway, glad you have a date and are on your way!!  Best of luck!

I truly am surprised that Kaiser denied you, especially with over 100 lbs to lose.  Did they give you a reason?  Anyway, glad you have a date and are on your way!!  Best of luck!

Me? Yeah Im almost a year out now.

That's the thing is for what reason did they deny me? Well I never really ever did get a straight answer. One thing that they "THINK" may have been an issue is that I have had depression in the past. It had been at least 2 years since I've had any problems with it. So by their own standards I should have been fine. You have to be clear of any mental illness for 1 year or more. So really that shouldn't have been it. But nobody could ever tell me for sure. It was a (pardon my typing) F'd up mess that nobody wanted to take accountability for. It was easier for them to say, sorry you cant have it.

wow i hope i don't get denied. i don't have any other health problems except being overweight. but i have my 2 hour infer class on tuesday in vallejo. I'm very excited.

So, I am attending the 4 hour orientation at Kaiser South Sacramento on 9/30. So very excited for the ball to start rolling

thats awesome. i hope it all goes fast for you and for me. i should be right behind you

Truly, I would not sweat it.  I have only heard from one Kaiser patient who has had a problem.  And even then, I did not understand why. You'll do fine, sweetie.