Anyone gone through a complete Reversal of their gastric bypass?

My gastric bypass takedown/reversal is now scheduled for October 1st.  There was just as much anxiety waiting on the prior authorization to go through as there was for gastric bypass.  I look forward to documenting my journey and continuing the successful keto/high protein diet I have always followed to not have weight regain be an issue.  So many foods are very foreign to me after nine years of eating a healthier way.  I am worried about post-op pain, but I have daily pain now, so hopefully it can be managed.  

12 hours ago, DanelleD said:

My gastric bypass takedown/reversal is now scheduled for October 1st.  There was just as much anxiety waiting on the prior authorization to go through as there was for gastric bypass.  I look forward to documenting my journey and continuing the successful keto/high protein diet I have always followed to not have weight regain be an issue.  So many foods are very foreign to me after nine years of eating a healthier way.  I am worried about post-op pain, but I have daily pain now, so hopefully it can be managed.  

Please do continue to document your journey.  Some of us (certainly me) will be hanging on for every word.

DanielleD 

I had both my rny in 2001  and my reversal in 2010 at Fairview University Medical Center/University of MN/M Health in Minneapolis by same surgeon Dr Sayeed Ikramuddin. 

At the time of my reversal I did nothing for insurance purposes, the U took care of it, I was going to die without it and I did have weight regain issues, even though I had the labs of a starving person. At the time of my rny I worked for an evil health insurance company that rhymes with "benited wealth mare"  and actually had to appeal and lost but my secondary insurance covered my rny and because my bariatric surgeon found a liver mass in the middle of doing my rny, "benited wealth mare" still ended up having to pay for everything other than the rny. 

so my rny initially saved my life before it nearly ended up killing me. 

If you any questions or need support you can email me at unstapledlisa@gmail.com 

Misty who commented earlier on the here also runs an excellent support group for reversed peeps on Facebook and the link is on the first page of this post. 

Edited by unstapledlisa
incomplete
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to update that surgery went well and today is my second day back at work. I did have to go back to the hospital for three nights for a bowel obstruction. My bowels are very sluggish post op. I am walking outdoors every day and very focused on a protein based diet. I would like to drop 10-15 pounds by the end of the year to give myself incentive to continue to follow a healthy diet. I dont intend to go back to eating filler food junk, consuming and alcohol. I also avoid sugar. I do get some stomach cramps at night. I think I need to get back to no food after 6 pm. It is the hardest rule to follow! I know this surgery saved my life and things can only get better from here. The key is to realize I am an addiction every day and I don't get a day off from that whether food or alcohol. I have a fresh 100 days free of alcohol on Monday :)

New here, but looking to get my rny reversed. Reading the stories here and the advice have been very helpful. I've spent the last month and a half in bed due to having my rny (9-9-20) and it's been one issue after another. Hospital stay for 3 days for malnutrition and sever dehydration. Had to have a edg dilation to remove scar tissue on the 6th of this month, and already need another to remove more scar tissue. I have zero quality of life right now because even walking to the bathroom, a whole 12 feet away leaves me feeling exhausted. And advice or tips on reversal would be amazing! Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Mrs_Rouse said:

New here, but looking to get my rny reversed. Reading the stories here and the advice have been very helpful. I've spent the last month and a half in bed due to having my rny (9-9-20) and it's been one issue after another. Hospital stay for 3 days for malnutrition and sever dehydration. Had to have a edg dilation to remove scar tissue on the 6th of this month, and already need another to remove more scar tissue. I have zero quality of life right now because even walking to the bathroom, a whole 12 feet away leaves me feeling exhausted. And advice or tips on reversal would be amazing! Thank you! 

I doubt your surgeon would even consider it at this stage. They are more likely to see your situation as just regret given you're only 5/6 weeks post-op. Unfortunately strictures aren't a great way to start and can take 2 or even 3 dilations to get sorted. Hydration and protien are really the key to feeling a bit better, along with trying to increase your movement even if it is just a few extra steps. Once that stricture is sorted you can work your way back to eating normal textures, and you will feel much better once you are better nourished.