toothfairy

One week post op

HI everyone. I'm one week post-op and my tummy is swollen. Too much gas. Even if I walk everyday, it doesn't go down. How long does it take to get rid of the gas ? Anything I should take besides gas-x?

I am also still in pain, and craving a lot of food. Is this normal? I wish I can eat something else besides the shakes.

Help!

Hi

I'm new to the board, but not new to gastric (lap) banding, being a veteran now of 8 years :cool::P

The pain I remember was like an ache down my left side, located at the operation and port site - that should pass in a couple of weeks and should diminish on a daily basis. You shouldn't have any pain in your abdomen - unless that's the gas. I don't remember being any more gassy than usual, but it was a long time ago, and I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference pre and post op. :D

You'll still crave and be able to eat a lot of food if you have a low amount or no fluid in your band - it's the fills that turn the band into an appetite restrictor. Note you shouldn't be looking for a physical restriction as was once thought - rather a loss of appetite and a feeling of being satisfied (not fullness), when eating a much smaller portion. Wish they had known that when I had my band done! I always had my band very very tight to give me a physical restriction which backfired on me when I had to have the band emptied. (See my post in this forum for more details - but don't worry - forewarned is forearmed - I just didn't have the knowledge to prevent my problems).

Nicola :cool:

Thanks Nicola. Your post is a big help! I think my cravings are due to advertisement I see on TV. I just get a bit down when I realize I cannot even have those food anymore at this phase.

So you had lap band 8 years ago. How did it work for you?

Absolutely fantastic for the first six years, then I had to have it emptied for medical reasons and have had no end of problems with my weight since then - all my own fault I think (see my 'massive weight gain post next to this one).

Hey, those desires for that sort of food may become a thing of the past once your fills are at your 'sweet spot'. It did for me; in fact I could eat so little my body's preference (not mine) was always for good, nutritious food. My old habits included gorging on at least one very large bar of chocolate a day, along with several smaller bars, and cakes, take outs, and so on, and so forth. I couldn't eat a large amount but fed my body what it craved - which, delightfully, was good stuff.

Ps. You could always get tivo, or whatever is available in the US that allows you to forward over the adbreaks. :D:lol:

Hi there! Congrats on getting banded! Gas-x strips are awesome but your best bet is to walk as much as possible. No matter how slow, just walk. Pain could last a week, maybe two. Everyone is different but I believe most including your surgeon will recommend walking. Take your time. It's fresh.

I am not sure about the cravings. I did not want to eat anything after surgery. My first cravings did not happen until I was about a month post-op. It varies. Try to stay focused. Get through the liquids and soft foods. It may seem challenging at first but once you get on schedule, you will be focused on seeing results and will know what you need to do. When you start to have cravings, focus on why you had this procedure in the first place. Those reminders might help you.

There are some amazing people on here that support our journey so please continue to blog and share your experiences. It really does help to talk to a network of people who can really relate.

Best of luck! :)

Hi

I had very painful gas for 9 days around my shoulders and got rid of it by walking and Tim tums