Connor1a

Differences between surgeons' pre-op instructions

So I have been reading a lot of the posts here as I prepare for my surgery in 2 days (eek!). I'm currently living in Switzerland and know the approach here is different than other countries. The surgeon doing my operation has me checking into the hospital the day before the surgery and has said no special eating instructions are needed other than don't eat anything after midnight the night before. The other surprising thing is that he said I would be on soft foods, versus liquids, within 4 or 5 days.

How does this compare to what you all have seen / heard?

It varies so much between doctors cause it depends on how they were taught in school - or at least my surgeon says.  A different country is going to be more different yet.

I can't speak for bypass nutrition though as I had sleeve and that IS different.  Bypass seems to advance a little faster then sleeve in regards to food textures, 4-5 days and softs seems a smidge scary to me though considering everything is cut and rerouted  (just as if you had said the same thing with sleeve I would have been mortified).

So I have been reading a lot of the posts here as I prepare for my surgery in 2 days (eek!). I'm currently living in Switzerland and know the approach here is different than other countries. The surgeon doing my operation has me checking into the hospital the day before the surgery and has said no special eating instructions are needed other than don't eat anything after midnight the night before. The other surprising thing is that he said I would be on soft foods, versus liquids, within 4 or 5 days.

How does this compare to what you all have seen / heard?

That is basically how my diet has progressed, but others have progressed slower.  You can ALWAYS go slower than recommended, but you shouldn't go QUICKER than recommended.  My doctor progressed me after assessing how I was doing, and observed me along the way, with the caution that I can go back to what was working if advancing didn't work.  :-) 

I had my bypass 8 years ago, and it was liquids for two weeks, purees for three weeks, then soft solids for a couple of months.  It was VERY slow moving, but I remember I tried to jump faster between liquids and purees and oh boy did I regret it!  It made me dump and get the worst stomach pain ever.  Proceed with caution when moving between food stages, and just try one or two bites at first!  :)