Biotin -- elevates Liver enzymes?

Hi everyone!

I just had a Liver panel completed and it came back "elevated" for a specific enzyme (not super high, but over the norm).   My PCP says it's because of the 10,000mcg Biotin that I take daily.

She's requested I stop taking it for a month and then we'll run another panel, but I've can't find anything to support this claim.  Have you?

No idea, but I've been taking that dosage since surgery - I still take it 1.5 years later every day  (only cause I have so much on hand haha) and all my labs are good.  Only time my enzymes were elevated is when my gallbladder was angry - and subsequently then got taken out.

Wow 10,000 seems high. My nutritionist told me to NEVER take more than 5,000 a day. She said that more wouldn't do me any good because my body would just pass it in my urine. Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist or just cut the dose in half and see how that works. HTH

My NUT told me that 10,000 a day was a normal dose so it looks like there is a difference of opinions of how much to take either way I have had a few liver panels done and haven't seen any elevation yet but I guess everyone's body could respond differently to the meds, I would say follow your DR's orders as much as it stinks.

Remember that MCG=MICROgram

10,000mcg=10mg

"The average daily intake of biotin through the normal consumption of food is between 35 and 60 mcg per day. It is recommended that adults acquire about 30 mcg of biotin daily, whereas adolescents and children require less biotin to meet their daily needs."

Now for us as bariatric patients, I would listen to your surgeon/bariatric team before your PCP. It is very easy for a well-meaning-yet-uneducated Doctor to mess up the things we need to do and not do because we are not average patients.

• 2 months later...

I was told 5,000 a day from my surgeon...

• 7 months later...

10,000 seems extreme! I am taking 600 mcg and it looks sufficient to me. I was looking on 1,000 mcg enhanced absorption with vit D on luckyvitamin.com, but that is the highest I will go. And I am yet to do any blod test.

Edited by chris777