diyana

What's the best way to minimize the amount of loose skin

Hi, 

I will be having RNY bypass surgery in a couple months.  I am 52 and have approximately 100-120 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight.  I know that I will likely have loose skin in the lower abdomen, especially the panni area.  I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to minimize the amount of loose skin in those areas and in any others?  Will strength training help?  Lotions or creams?  Certain nutrition?  Anything?  

Thanks,

Michelle

Hello diyana,

Thanks for your question.

There is unfortunately no magic solution to minimize the extra loose skin you will have after weight loss.

That is more based on your inherent skin elasticity and its ability to tighten as you lose excess fat.

The rate at which you lose weight also has no effect on skin elasticity.

A far more important determinant of skin elasticity is how fast you gained the weight and how quickly the skin was stretched out.

Other important factors are genetics and other medical conditions.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD.

Hi Dr. Gupta, 

So I guess I still don't understand.  Is the elasticity better if you gained weight slowly or quickly?  

I gained the majority of my excess weight gradually over the past 10-15 years.  I'm currently 51.  In my 20s, my highest weight was 140.  In my 30s, I got up to 170, And in the past 15 years, I gained about 75 lbs gradually.

Thanks,

Diyana 

The skin elasticity tends to stay better the slower the skin is stretched by weight gain.

Think of stretching an elastic band (the slower you do, the more likely it will spring back when you let go, but it will snap if you stretch too quick).

Unless you have a lot of wide stretch marks (which are a sign of overstretched skin that has lost elasticity), then you should see some skin tightening as you lose weight.

How much skin tightening you will get and how much extra loose skin you end up with can only be determined after you have lost the weight and reached a plateau.

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta MD FACS.