LissaLou

Fingernails lifting - Onycholysis

I've always had fairly nice fingernails which I keep at a medium-long length and regularly wear nail polish.  At about 6 months post-op I noticed one lifting away from the nail bed (apparently it's called Onycholysis).  Now, at over 8 months post-op, several are doing that. 

My labs were fine at my 3 and 6 months check-ups.  I've lost a lot of hair (which hasn't regrown as many assured me it would.)  I do take biotin and all other vitamins/supplements everyday.   I eat plenty of protein.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? 

I have not but I'll be interested to see more info as you get it!  I hope you find a way to treat it quickly!

I don't have that problem but since surgery mine have become very dry and have lines in them

I've always had fairly nice fingernails which I keep at a medium-long length and regularly wear nail polish.  At about 6 months post-op I noticed one lifting away from the nail bed (apparently it's called Onycholysis).  Now, at over 8 months post-op, several are doing that. 

My labs were fine at my 3 and 6 months check-ups.  I've lost a lot of hair (which hasn't regrown as many assured me it would.)  I do take biotin and all other vitamins/supplements everyday.   I eat plenty of protein.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? 

Lissa - I have never heard of onycholysis being a associated with WLS.  What does you doc say about it?

From Drugs.com - it's worth going to page for more information.

Onycholysis is the separation of a fingernail or toenail from its pink nail bed. The separation occurs gradually and is painless.

The most common cause of onycholysis is trauma. Even slight trauma can cause onycholysis when it happens repetitively — for example, the daily tapping of long fingernails on a keyboard or counter. Onycholysis also can be caused by manicure tools that are pushed beneath the nail to clear dirt or smooth the nail. Too much moisture also can cause the problem.

Some medical conditions can cause onycholysis, generally by changing the nail's shape or the contour of the soft tissue bed beneath it. In these situations, the nail cannot attach smoothly to the nail bed.

• Fungal infections of the nails thicken the tissue immediately underneath the nail plate and cause edge of the nail to lift.

• The skin condition psoriasis is a common cause of onycholysis.

• After exposure to some medicines (notably medicines from the psoralen, tetracycline or fluoroquinolone groups) the nail can react to sun exposure by lifting away from its bed.

• An overactive thyroid gland can cause onycholysis.

I'll see my bariatric team in early August for my 9 month appt and will ask them about it.  I might end up going to a dermatologist regarding the hair, nails and a couple other skin concerns.

Did you ever get an answer to your question? My nails did this, & my doctor said it looked like lack of protein. Not possible, I said, because I eat 60+ grams a day! This is particularly distressing because by trade I am a nail technician! (Currently not working, but worrisome nonetheless!) Upon doing some research on my own, I have concluded that although I’m eating plenty of protein, my body is not utilizing it properly. I believe that my stomach acid has gotten too low to break down the protein, & so most of it just passes through, literally getting flushed away! The cause? I’ve come to the conclusion (on my own) that the malabsorption is due to taking omeprazole daily (twice most days, in fact) since my VSG. I’ve uploaded a few pictures of what my nails started doing & what they looked like a few months ago. They’re much worse now. I’d love to know your thoughts, & if you were ever able to get any answers!

D5949F18-DE1E-4BE2-8263-5475EB8020E3.jpeg

8F3E2B37-89CA-4F3A-BA6F-5939D9065FEA.jpeg

9F17DC0F-D27E-42B5-8428-CC46950A6A04.jpeg

@BethanyV I don't know what is going on (looks terrible!) but I go through phases (presurg) where my nails would get bad (not as bad as yours but similar) and my hair would fall out, then I would remember to take my biotin and moisturize my nail beds (finger, cuticle and nails) with oil and then they'd start to improve and get strong and healthy again.  It was a cyclical thing that would be a few months in either cycle and then work their way back. My cycle started getting good in the fall, but are just starting the peeling now....shucks!  That should make my hair start falling out regardless of the surgery so it won't be long...I wish I knew the answer for you. Let me know if you figure it out, please.  

Here's my nails last year 

image.jpeg

Edited by CheeringCJ

9 hours ago, BethanyV said:

Did you ever get an answer to your question? My nails did this, & my doctor said it looked like lack of protein. Not possible, I said, because I eat 60+ grams a day! This is particularly distressing because by trade I am a nail technician! (Currently not working, but worrisome nonetheless!) Upon doing some research on my own, I have concluded that although I’m eating plenty of protein, my body is not utilizing it properly. I believe that my stomach acid has gotten too low to break down the protein, & so most of it just passes through, literally getting flushed away! The cause? I’ve come to the conclusion (on my own) that the malabsorption is due to taking omeprazole daily (twice most days, in fact) since my VSG. I’ve uploaded a few pictures of what my nails started doing & what they looked like a few months ago. They’re much worse now. I’d love to know your thoughts, & if you were ever able to get any answers!

D5949F18-DE1E-4BE2-8263-5475EB8020E3.jpeg

8F3E2B37-89CA-4F3A-BA6F-5939D9065FEA.jpeg

9F17DC0F-D27E-42B5-8428-CC46950A6A04.jpeg

So I use to encounter this in the salon. I did acrylic nails for years. My clients that got this would go to the Dr and get a prescription they took orally and if I remember correctly it took 6 to 8 weeks to grow out. It is a fungus caused by moisture getting under fake nails.

Edited by tracyringo

1 hour ago, tracyringo said:

So I use to encounter this in the salon. I did acrylic nails for years. My clients that got this would go to the Dr and get a prescription they took orally and if I remember correctly it took 6 to 8 weeks to grow out. It is a fungus caused by moisture getting under fake nails.

tracy, I never use acrylic nails, so could it be from something else?  maybe a vitamin deficiency or just a fungus?

32 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

tracy, I never use acrylic nails, so could it be from something else?  maybe a vitamin deficiency or just a fungus?

Cheering,

I quoted some causes above.  Could any of these apply?:

Fungal infections of the nails thicken the tissue immediately underneath the nail plate and cause edge of the nail to lift.

The skin condition psoriasis is a common cause of onycholysis.

After exposure to some medicines (notably medicines from the psoralen, tetracycline or fluoroquinolone groups) the nail can react to sun exposure by lifting away from its bed.

An overactive thyroid gland can cause onycholysis.

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

Yours are not the same thing. Your nails look like they are just peeling and or brittle. Her nails actually lifted off the nailbeds. Peoples toes do this also especially in the elderly.

40 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Cheering,

My experience is that it is a fungus I cant speak for any of the rest that you have listed.

12 hours ago, BethanyV said:

My nails did this, & my doctor said it looked like lack of protein.

If you haven't seen a dermatologist (not a PCP, or your normal family practice doctor), find a good one and go see them.

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

Cheering,

thanks for the info but I rarely have antibiotics or meds in those groups, don't have psoriasis and my thyroid function is normal (which always surprises me bc I WANTED to blame being fat on my thyroid all my life...haha!) so I have no reason for it that I have seen on line.  I do know coconut oil helps when I remember to put it on my last joint up to the nail tip but I have to do it a few times a day for a few weeks.  I always assume it is nutritional bc my hair is part of the cycle too.  I take my multivits so it shouldn't be something in there unless it doesn't absorb it.  And I am never in a cycle like that when I have my physical (which is why I took the picture but I forgot to take it to my dr last time).  

Since my surgery I have been religious about taking my biotin/multi vits etc so I am watching them closely to see if they get as bad.  It's a bad time of the year (heaters on inside) and handwashing like a nut around my students so I don't get their germs so my hands dry out easy in the winter (sometimes crack) so I am keeping the oil on them every day.  I will see how it goes.

1 hour ago, tracyringo said:

Yours are not the same thing. Your nails look like they are just peeling and or brittle. Her nails actually lifted off the nailbeds. Peoples toes do this also especially in the elderly.

Thanks, Tracy, I knew mine didn't look as bad, so I went back and saw what you were talking about....I see it now, and am glad mine don't lift off the nail beds! Yikes!

@BethanyV, I hope you get them straightened out :)

On 1/1/2018 at 8:12 AM, tracyringo said:

Mine’s not fungus. I know what causes fungus & what fungus looks like. I, also, did acrylic nails for many years. 

My nails got worse, then started getting better after my gallbladder was removed in February. But they recently started lifting again. I’ve concluded that it MUST be Omeprazole. Let me explain. My gastroenterologist switched me to Protonix a few months ago, but I ran out, he moved his practice, & I needed something for the GERD in the meantime until I could get more Protonix, so I took Omeprazole for a few weeks. I was so proud that my nails had grown out, almost to the free edge, ATTACHED! (First picture, taken May 27). However, one day last week, rather suddenly, I noticed they just felt really strange again. I was wearing nail polish, & when I took the polish off, I was so incredibly disappointed to see that they had ALL lifted again! So they’re clipped back to nothing, & I’m doing every treatment I can think of to get them back to “normal.” (Second picture, taken just now).

B657D07B-6B1F-4244-B814-1C18E2E315CE.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by BethanyV
Duplicate photo

On 7/24/2014 at 7:02 PM, LissaLou said:

We’re you, by chance, taking Prilosec (Omeprazole)?

1 hour ago, BethanyV said:

We’re you, by chance, taking Prilosec (Omeprazole)?

Now this is very interesting.  My nails are fine but I think I am having a problem with my protein not breaking down as well. I eat anywhere between 90 to100 plus grams a day but my blood work gave me a 6.1 on protein today ?  How can this be?

I have GERD also and take Dexilant for it. ( formally known as kapitax? or something like that and it is made in Japan ) Now you got me thinking. If there isn't enough acid to break down the protein then maybe I need to get of this med. I tried at 6 months and it was a no go. I took Omeprazole and it didn't work for me so they put me on Dexilant.

Going for my 10 month checkup next week so I am going to ask.

I have been on omeprazole for14 years. In March this year my nails all lifted like the first picture. I hadn't even started my pre op diet yet. I wear no chip polish. I kept polish off for three months and treated with tree tea oil.  All but the two worse nails have returned to normal. I'm back to polishing.  I too wonder if it is the medicine.

Surely the meds have something to do with it.  They must effect us all differently in some way.