Sign in to follow this  
enchantedfarie

Do we always need reconstructive surgery after WLS?

Here is a question I have had for awhile. Im kind of on the smaller end of being big. I have a very petite frame and Im about 255 (down from 280). Im also 27 so I hear the skin has more elasticity at my age. Does everyone require excess skin removal after big weight loss? From being down from 280 my stomach does have some weirdness (or it could be celulite :P), but its only in the stomach were its funky. Also do we always need a breast augmentation? Im a small C cup now and I have noticed that they have been bigger due to my weight. I would like for them to stay naturally after surgery :P Also what about a vaginal lift? I am kind of fleshy in that area as well...does that go back to normal or is there also lots of excess skin?

Some have extra skin, some don't. Genetics has a lot to do with it and I'd say age does too. Last time I got to the weight I'm at now after losing about the same amount as I did with surgery, I had no excess skin, this time I have a bit, I'm 20 years older.

I didn't.  Mine recovered quite nicely.  it depends on genetics and how long you've been overweight, mostly.  The more stretch marks you have, the more skin you'll be left with at the end.

I didn't.  Mine recovered quite nicely.  it depends on genetics and how long you've been overweight, mostly.  The more stretch marks you have, the more skin you'll be left with at the end.

I think Im good on the stretch marks thing. I have like 3 or 4 on each side of my stomach so I think I should be ok. Thanks for the help :)

I lost over 100 pounds when I was your age. I went from 287 to 178 in about 14 months. I didn't have any skin issues. I didn't have a tight/flat stomach like someone who'd never been heavy but I didn't have loose or sagging skin at all. Based on your age and lack of stretch marks, you probably won't have any issues.

Whether you opt to get plastic surgery after weight loss is completely a personal (and financial) decision. Even if someone may "need" it, the skin might not bother them enough to do it.

That said, tom and HC said it all. Age, genetics, weight history, maybe some luck, all play a part. I was very fortunate to have very little extra skin on my tummy, arms, and legs. My boobs were totally deflated though, so I chose to have breast augmentation surgery. I love my results. But I'm guessing if it wasn't a possibility financially, I would have learned to deal with my deflated balloons :)

I lost over 100 pounds when I was your age. I went from 287 to 178 in about 14 months. I didn't have any skin issues. I didn't have a tight/flat stomach like someone who'd never been heavy but I didn't have loose or sagging skin at all. Based on your age and lack of stretch marks, you probably won't have any issues.

Thats good to know, Thanks :)

Whether you opt to get plastic surgery after weight loss is completely a personal (and financial) decision. Even if someone may "need" it, the skin might not bother them enough to do it.

That said, tom and HC said it all. Age, genetics, weight history, maybe some luck, all play a part. I was very fortunate to have very little extra skin on my tummy, arms, and legs. My boobs were totally deflated though, so I chose to have breast augmentation surgery. I love my results. But I'm guessing if it wasn't a possibility financially, I would have learned to deal with my deflated balloons :)

I have a hunch that that may happen to me LOL My balloons have only came on becasue of my weight, so maybe I will need augmentation. I guess I wont know till Im at that point :P Thanks for the advice though.