esam5

Questions....

Hey, I've been over in the Sleeve forum for over 4 months, I felt like I had all of that under control, then my insurance denied the sleeve ( but looks like it covers bypass)

I'm obviously frustrated at feeling like I have to start over ( 6 month supervised weightloss program is a requirement as well  - not the 8 week that I have already done)

and I'm trying to process all my feelings ( and not stuff them down with carbs)  :blink:

I'm not sure what I think about switching procedures...... I honestly do not know 1 person in real life who has been successful with bypass. I've known many who have gained the weight back, one who became a raging alcoholic, and a couple who blatantly don't utilize the tool as it was intended. One close friend completely regrets the surgery.  :eek:

I would like to hear from everyone, the good & the bad. I've read around a bit already ( and as I said, I've gotten to know several VSG girls very well. -  I don't know why I feel hesitant, trying to explore....

thanks 

E

All I can tell you is that having RNY was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.  I could go into a lot of specifics, but there are tons of threads on this topic if you search.

I am healthier

I will live a very long time to see my beautiful children grow into amazing teens and adults

I am happier

I FEEL good about myself (most of the time...)

I am a size 0-2

I know half a dozen people personally (none on this forum) who had GBP, including my wife, none regret it. Yes, you can defeat it, but why would you have major surgery if you think you don't have to change your life's eating habits? It's a powerful tool and it's up to you to use it properly.

Try to be open to the bypass. Any weight loss surgery is just a tool and up to you to decide how you are going to use that tool. You can be a success or failure with any of the procedures. Good luck. PS. Transfer addiction (alcoholism etc) can happen with either procedure

Thanks for the input. I really am trying to be open minded about it. I dont know where my fears are coming from.... really am spending some quiet time to discover it.

And of course my drs office hasnt called me back ?!

I was in the same position as you...I had decided on the sleeve and my insurance wouldn't cover it.    I was disappointed, and of course you have to adjust your mindset, but nothing was stopping me from having WLS.   They are both a tool that anyone can succeed or fail with.   Instead of feeling cheated, I focused on having this wonderful opportunity to change my life for the better, and I don't for a minute regret going ahead with the bypass. 

I had it 8 months ago. I have no regrets at all. It was the wisest decision I have made in a long time.

11 months later, it's the best thing I ever did. I feel so much better on so many levels!

I like to hear all the positive results... I've heard sooo many bad things. 

I was in the same position as you...I had decided on the sleeve and my insurance wouldn't cover it.    I was disappointed, and of course you have to adjust your mindset, but nothing was stopping me from having WLS.   They are both a tool that anyone can succeed or fail with.   Instead of feeling cheated, I focused on having this wonderful opportunity to change my life for the better, and I don't for a minute regret going ahead with the bypass. 

Agreed. They are not that much different. You can get what you want to go either way.

My friend had a sleeve about the same time I had my bypass.  We both are doing great - though I have lost about twice the weight she has in the same time period.  I never even considered the sleeve (my surgeon told me that the bypass was the only surgery that would get rid of my acid reflux - and it did).  It really was the best thing that I've ever done for me!!!

I know that I'm a big girl - 5'9" and 280, but Ive never had goals or the desire to be super thin. My happy place would be a size 10-12, which technically would still be "overweight" by societies standards, but completely normal to my standards. ( so the idea of extra weight loss kinda is a negative for me. I like the idea that the sleeve was a slower loss and only about 60% of my excess weight)  My Dr also said if my diagnosis of hiatal hernia was correct that the bypass would more efficiently take care of that. ( previous dr, several years ago)

I'm going to call Dr to make appt and see where we go from here. 

in the meantime, I'm still eating low carb and drinking lots of water and taking care of myself. ( I admit to a couple days of carb-atopia, but it just makes me feel worse and I really need to take responsibility for my feelings and not bury them)

so happy to have the input from you guys!!  

I'm glad you were able to get a little peace about it... you'll do great with bypass, and can look forward to a much healthier life!

Hi, E.  I had gastric bypass done in January of 2010.  Even though I am currently about 25 pounds over what I consider my optimal weight (darn those carbs), it is still the best thing I've ever done for myself. The only thing I'm sorry about is that I waited so long to do it.  I have two friends (neither is on this forum, unfortunately) who had GB and have also been very successful.

Like any other WLS, you can defeat it.  The nutritionist who ran our pre-op class liked to say, "they're operating on your stomach- not your head." 

thanks Avanelle,

Thats a great way to look at it. I really want to do the "head-work" and figure out some stuff before getting surgery, I feel that it will help me be more successful. I know it feels like I should have done this sooner, I've literally been so heavy for so long, and I just guess I need to put up or shut up!!! 

I'm sure alot has to do with me finally coming into my own ( gotta love the 40's for that) I have a greater sense of me for who I want to be, ( not to impress anyone - screw that!!) ;)

So today I spoke with the Dr's office and they are willing to take over for the supervised program that I've been in ( so consider it time served)....so I only have 3 months to go then I can get approved (?!?!) "The Good Lord Willing and the Creek Don't Rise!!!!" 

;)

time to work more on me! ( feel free to hit me with the hard stuff, guys!!!   I might get pissed but I'm sure its all for the better ! I can't grow without some growing pains.......)

From what I have read the life after surgery is essentially the same. I had the the RNY because of gerd and a hiatus hernia. I like that it's more restrictive and I do dump which is a nice deterrent. I also like that in the event that it needs to be, it can be reversed. I won't lie, the vitamin schedule is a pain but we'll worth the price. I've lost 65% of my excess weight in three months with very little in the way of suffering. The weight is coming off much faster than it went on.

I was in a similar situation, for what the tools do not insurance. RNY was my choice and I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Carbs and sugar are my demons and luckily I dump on a fairly small amount of sugar. This is a very important part of my tool and am very grateful for it.