TwinMama

SUBOXONE post GB Surgery - A Warning!

Suboxone Warning!!!!

I had my GB surgery 14 years ago & b/c of back issues/surgery, was on heavy pain meds for 10 of those years. When I got married 4 years ago, I elected to switch to a Suboxone program with the hope of being able to have children. (Which I never could've done on all the narcotics) And while I am now the proud Mama of a 2 year-old & 6 month-old TWINS, I have suffered through some very extreme negative side effects from Suboxone.

It was only recently that I discovered my problem was w/the NALOXONE (1 of the 2 active ingredients in Suboxone)

Turns out that even though Suboxone is taken sublingually - not usually an absorption issue for GB patients - the NALOXONE is actually swallowed & destroyed in the GI tract, never causing SE's. However as we are well aware, the altered system in post GB patients does not effectively "destroy" the NALOXONE & allows it to reach the brain, where it can do some nasty sh*t to really F w/you!!

Bottom line: Post Gastric Bypass patients should NEVER take SUBOXONE - instead, the generic, 1-ingredient alternative, SUBUTEX (BUPRENORPHINE)

NO JOKE!!

Congratulations on your babies! Thanks for the warning too. Right now I'm a SAHM, but in 2 years I'll be returning to my career as a Probation/Parole Officer. We definitely support the use of suboxone to combat opiate addiction and that is good information, in case anyone on my caseload is a post op bariatric patient.

Yeah, I feel as though it is my duty to let both the Suboxone & GB world know that this threat is out there & real! Had I known about it 4 years ago when I entered a Sub program, I cud-ve saved myself some major grief & self-doubt.

Thanx for helping me spread the word!

Also, enjoy ur kiddos at home while u can..... Re-entering the workforce is very noble; what an awesome example u'll be sending to ur child(ren) everytime u head out to "work!"

On 6/27/2014 at 7:48 AM, TwinMama said:

Suboxone Warning!!!!

I had my GB surgery 14 years ago & b/c of back issues/surgery, was on heavy pain meds for 10 of those years. When I got married 4 years ago, I elected to switch to a Suboxone program with the hope of being able to have children. (Which I never could've done on all the narcotics) And while I am now the proud Mama of a 2 year-old & 6 month-old TWINS, I have suffered through some very extreme negative side effects from Suboxone.

It was only recently that I discovered my problem was w/the NALOXONE (1 of the 2 active ingredients in Suboxone)

Turns out that even though Suboxone is taken sublingually - not usually an absorption issue for GB patients - the NALOXONE is actually swallowed & destroyed in the GI tract, never causing SE's. However as we are well aware, the altered system in post GB patients does not effectively "destroy" the NALOXONE & allows it to reach the brain, where it can do some nasty sh*t to really F w/you!!

Bottom line: Post Gastric Bypass patients should NEVER take SUBOXONE - instead, the generic, 1-ingredient alternative, SUBUTEX (BUPRENORPHINE)

NO JOKE!!

Hi i had GB in 2011 im currently on suboxone, i mentioned to my doctor that subutex would benefit me due my GB and now a herniated mesh surgery coming up. She refuses to switch me over and im extremely worried bc i don't know but i was adviced by not just my surgeon but nurses as well. My doctors still refuses even after my doctor agreed to the subutex. I dont know what to do. I am having bad SE due to the suboxone and possible GI blockage without the surgery. Im in constant pain and NOBODY will switch me to subutex but yet the suboxone SE are very if not deadly and it strains my GI track everyday SX are by far systamatic. As u know i do not receive pain meds nor care to im past that. I just feel that without the surgery and my GB i will die and the suboxones makes me high risk giving me horribly painful SE i was told is resulting in the use suboxone. The subutex was told is most beneficial for GB and post and pre op surgerys. If you or anyone have a link or information i could obtain to help me get the relief i need with subutex so im not in so much psin nor am i a higher risk PT for urinira festula or GI blockage. Please any information will help thank you and god bless!

I'm not sure what your concern is?  The two drugs are both used to treat opioid addiction, to manage withdrawal symptoms;  both contain buprenorphine, but the suboxone also has naloxone, which reverses opiates/opioids.  Naloxone is not absorbed sublingually and is only there (in the Suboxone) to prevent users from injecting the drug in which case it would knock all the buprenorphine (and any other opioid they had taken) off the opiate receptors and send the person into immediate withdrawal.  So, when used sublingually, the two drugs are the same thing and the Naloxone is basically inert. It has no bioavailability unless it's dissolved and injected. Buprenorphine is an opioid, but it's a partial opioid agonist, so it doesn't cause the euphoria and respiratory depression that other opioid and opiates do.  I remember when it first came out for use in the hospital as alternative to morphine for post-surgical pain management...seems like that was mid- to late 80's or so.  Interesting that it now has a whole new life as an addiction treatment.