I am one week out now and having weird symptoms

I am one week out from having my band out and my throat is still sore. I also cant eat food. If I try to eat any food, my neck glands get swollen and my whole left side of my neck starts feeling strained and painful and I get short of breath. Almost like an allergic reaction. also the roof of my mouth is burning, hurts when I rub my tongue against it.

Just wondering if anyone else has any of this weirdness going on.

AND WHEN THE HECK DOES THE TUMMY SWELLING START GOING DOWN???

Can't speak about the neck but the tummy goes down quicker the more you walk.

I was on the phone to the offices of the surgeon, my PCP, and dietitian 6 or 8 times in the first couple of weeks. Every call put my mind at ease.

This sounds like something your surgeon needs to know about. The tummy swelling took about a week total. The port site was sore for more than. A month. Did your just get the band out? Or a revision at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...

I am one week out from having my band out and my throat is still sore. I also cant eat food. If I try to eat any food, my neck glands get swollen and my whole left side of my neck starts feeling strained and painful and I get short of breath. Almost like an allergic reaction. also the roof of my mouth is burning, hurts when I rub my tongue against it.

Just wondering if anyone else has any of this weirdness going on.

AND WHEN THE HECK DOES THE TUMMY SWELLING START GOING DOWN???

How are you now? I am three days out. I didn't have internal throat pain but my neck is tender and I have some small bruises on it and my shoulders.  I hope you're better now.

How are you now? I am three days out. I didn't have internal throat pain but my neck is tender and I have some small bruises on it and my shoulders.  I hope you're better now.

All the other symptoms I mentioned have gone away but the incision where they took the port out is still very sore and I still have to move around carefully. The little holes from the laparoscopic I don't even feel but they had to cut a slit where my port was and that thing is taking forever to heal, this coming Tuesday will be 3 weeks!

I am also finding the port site the most painful. I keep feeling like it will  burst through the stitches as I walk, and have to hold the area with my palm as I get about.  I was wondering when it would settle down!  As you are at 3 weeks and I am 2.5 behind you, it will still be a while.  How is your throat now?  Did you talk to the surgeon and find out what it was?

I am also finding the port site the most painful. I keep feeling like it will  burst through the stitches as I walk, and have to hold the area with my palm as I get about.  I was wondering when it would settle down!  As you are at 3 weeks and I am 2.5 behind you, it will still be a while.  How is your throat now?  Did you talk to the surgeon and find out what it was?

Stitches??? I realize I haven't actually looked at the incisions yet. They are still bandaged up.  LOL!

All the other symptoms I mentioned have gone away but the incision where they took the port out is still very sore and I still have to move around carefully. The little holes from the laparoscopic I don't even feel but they had to cut a slit where my port was and that thing is taking forever to heal, this coming Tuesday will be 3 weeks!

I'm at 3 months and still feel the port incision sometimes. It healed on the outside but was sore for a long time. The surgeon said he had a very difficult time getting it out which is common. It's going to be a decent scar for a long time.

Stitches??? I realize I haven't actually looked at the incisions yet. They are still bandaged up.  LOL!

Generally all the stitches(sutures) are on the inside where they cannot be seen and dissolve on their own. If you have an open procedure there will be sutures or staples on the outside

I'm at 3 months and still feel the port incision sometimes. It healed on the outside but was sore for a long time. The surgeon said he had a very difficult time getting it out which is common. It's going to be a decent scar for a long time.

Ok thank you for that wardog, I that helps me not to be so paranoid thinking something is wrong. when I got the band put in of course it was only laproscopic so I was surprised that this port incision site is taking so long to heal and is still so sore, I wanted to start at least getting on the elliptical machine to get some excersize but this sore tummy makes me not want to do anything

Ok thank you for that wardog, I that helps me not to be so paranoid thinking something is wrong. when I got the band put in of course it was only laproscopic so I was surprised that this port incision site is taking so long to heal and is still so sore, I wanted to start at least getting on the elliptical machine to get some excersize but this sore tummy makes me not want to do anything

I started regular exercise around day 10 with walking before that. The benefits outweighed the negatives IMO. The discomfort improved steadily. My surgeon told me there wasn't any risk associated with the incision.

I found that Tylenol helped but my surgeon said getting that port out was a wrestling match since they're covered in scar tissue. He reassured me that I couldn't do damage and that moving and exercise would help break up the scar tissue. Depending on how large/thick the belly fat is, that incision can be many inches deep. I estimate that mine was at least 3-4 which is a pretty deep cut. Try not to baby it too much.

Follow your surgeons instructions as to when to start exercises other than walking.

Follow your surgeons instructions as to when to start exercises other than walking.

I agree. Mine didn't release me for heavy lifting for 2-3 weeks based on my healing progress. I heal quickly. Removing the port requires cutting through muscle, fat and the abdominal wall. Not a small thing. I follow his recommendation on everything but what to eat. He likes crackers and potatoes.

All of this information is very helpful!! I am 9 days post op and I has been a journey. My worst night was actually Tuesday morning about midnight. I suffered with so much nausea and finally I vomiting enough of nothing and was able to rest. but that was because I was not hydrated enough. So I have been now drinking my fluids and trying to be accountable, because nausea is worse than delivery a baby... :blink: