tiltyardferrets

can't get started exercising

i'm a big girl right now at 385 pounds.  and i have sciatica issues.  but mostly i don't stand much or walk far.  to combat this my dh bought me a recumbant bike but it is sitting and looking at me.  i know i need to get started but i've been so non-active for so long it's really really hard.  my surgery is 6/27 and i keep thinking 'you've got to get it together'.  

does anyone have any advice on beginning exercising after years and years of inactivity?

i'm ready for the surgery and ready for the food changes but the exercise-thing i just can't get motivated!

Five minutes.  Designate a time of day to do 5 minutes.  That's it.  Do that for a few days.  Then, add 1 or 2 minutes more.  Do that for a few days.  Add a couple minutes...rinse and repeat.  Listen to some music or even watch tv if you have to while you do it.  The point is, DO IT.  Start small so you don't get overwhelmed.

If you need an exercise buddy to check in with, let me know.  I am happy to help.

I also suggest using something like myfitness pal to track your time.  It's really exciting and motivating when you see your progress.

You can do this!  :)

I hate exercise bikes. The easiest thing to do is walk around the block as many times as you can.

good suggestion - start small.  i have been thinking 'gosh, 30 minutes' but you are right - 5 isn't so bad.  i also got some resistance bands, does anyone use these?

I tried resistance bands, but they weren't my thing.  I say give them a try and see if you like them!

http://greatist.com/fitness/resistance-band-exercises

I had horrible sciatica for 18 months two years ago -- the spinal shot took the pain away. Look into it.

Like Jillie said start out slow. Pick a show on netflix and only watch it when you workout. (If possible of course)

I've heard a lot of people listen to audiobooks.

Yes, start with 2 or 3 minutes if you have to, and work your way up!!

We have surgery the same day! I'm cheering you on!!

I hadn't exercised in 40 years, literally, when I realized that if I didn't I was going to be a huge pile of skin,

I started at 5 minutes at a time, and thought I was going to die. Just keep at it, it gets better.

I used loud metal rock on an iPod. Whatever gets you through.

I think walking or swimming is the easiest form of good exercise. Especially if one has back,hip or knee pain. You can walk however far you're able to stand. Swimming takes pressure off all the sore and painful areas and burns lot's of calories. I started out walking very short distance, then grew from there. It was a slow process but i'm now up to 5 miles at a time. Plus i go on the elliptical machine or treadmill and hour at a time. Before wls i couldn't do any of this and i had so much back and hip pain. It all got a lot better once the weight was gone. So don't rush the exercise and start out slow. Do whatever you are able to handle and feels good for you. Be patient and in time your body will build up and you will be amazed what it can do. Good luck  :)

Swimming is awesome and a great way to get some exercise and go easy on your joints. Even if you just walk in the pool or do 'push ups' against the side of the pool when you are in it and standing up. Good resistance and easy on your body. 

i live pretty far out in the country and don't have a pool close by.  but i used to take aqua aerobics classes and loved them.  maybe i'll again start.  i used to just walk the pool.  i agree the water really helps.  i'm hoping too that as the weight goes down then exercising will get easier.

I've heard a lot of people listen to audiobooks.

Yes, start with 2 or 3 minutes if you have to, and work your way up!!

We have surgery the same day! I'm cheering you on!!

All public libraries have them.

i live pretty far out in the country and don't have a pool close by.  but i used to take aqua aerobics classes and loved them.  maybe i'll again start.  i used to just walk the pool.  i agree the water really helps.  i'm hoping too that as the weight goes down then exercising will get easier.

I can definitely say for me it has gotten much easier.  My knees still snap crackle and pop some days and feel squishy others, but the rest of me is able to do soooo much more.  

You just have to find something you can do, and WILL do (because you enjoy it) and that helps so much.  

I too am trying to exercise. I experiment by trying different things. I tried water aerobics and found I didn't enjoy it so much. I enjoy being in the pool but that was about all. I decided since I did like walking I would take private golf lessons. I do seem to enjoy hitting balls at the golf range. So today I'm going to try golfing on the golf course. There are so many uncertainties like, will people laugh at me, will the heat make me faint or become ill, will I slow everyone down so it is not enjoyable for them...

The women's league at the course has invited me to join them. I explained that I was a beginner....maybe I should wait but they said, no, come on out and play. I'll let you know how it goes.

Another thing I would like to try is bicycling. Haven't tried yet, still on my to-do-list. I tried Zumba. The routines are very difficult for me to do fast and correctly.

I hope I have been helpful. Just know what you are experiencing someone else is experiencing it too. You are not alone.

I started by walking - first just around the house then the block and so on.  After my surgery and when I had lost some weight I started walking on the treadmill.  Just for 5 minutes to start and then added a few minutes each day.  I now get up early and do 30 minutes on the treadmill before I get ready for work. I also take a couple of 15 minute "power walks" during the day.   I hated exercise - avoided it at all costs and now its become a part of my day without even thinking about it. good luck you can do this and you will be thrilled with the results!!!!

The absolute best exercise to start with is one you enjoy and will continue doing after the honeymoon phase ends.  Start out slow and short then gradually increase.  The suggestion of 5 minutes may seem meager but every little bit helps. Whether it is walking, biking, rowing, eliptical, etc... as long as you are doing something this is the key.  Be absolutely very careful not to overdo it.  This will get you sore and you'll likely skip workouts to recover leading to skipping another when you overdo it again and usually you will end up quitting all together. 

When increasing yout tims weekly I would never step over 10-20% more than you are comfortably doing.  Ajdust your exercise time or mileage weekly.  If you are working out for 5 days a week going for 20 minutes per session do not add more than 2-4 minutes on each session per week.  Distances are the same way.  If you are walking a mile 4 times per week the next week don't add more than .1-.2 miles.  Gradual buildup works.  I jhave found after 4 years post op that my fitness level is really getting to a good sustained level.  The muscle I have built through thousands of hours of exercise is grade A USDA approved lean muscle.  I am also finding that the more I exercise the more physilogical changes my body has gone through going from a middle aged fat man to a lean athletic framed man, still middle aged though).

I am in the best shape of my life and have more energy than I ever could have believed anyone could have.  I completed another half ironman triathlon this past Sunday in Williamsburg and am gearing up to my second full ironman in October.  You don't need to have goals as this to lose weight but any goal along the way will work.  I'd also look into the C25K program for getting started.  It is literally a life changing event for everyone I have ever heard that has done this program.

Good luck.

Five minutes.  Designate a time of day to do 5 minutes.  That's it.  Do that for a few days.  Then, add 1 or 2 minutes more.  Do that for a few days.  Add a couple minutes...rinse and repeat.  Listen to some music or even watch tv if you have to while you do it.  The point is, DO IT.  Start small so you don't get overwhelmed.

If you need an exercise buddy to check in with, let me know.  I am happy to help.

I also suggest using something like myfitness pal to track your time.  It's really exciting and motivating when you see your progress.

You can do this!   :)

This is perfect advice, and it doesnt have to be any specific exercise, just as long as you're moving... also, Like Jillie said, it helps to track your progress. I use a spreadsheet, if you are savvy enough (or I could help create one with/for you if you'd like) or even on a yellow pad... there are also fitness apps out there that I am not (yet) familiar with but lots of folks here are.

I know when I am actively tracking my weight or exercise it makes me feel crappy if i miss days or more and it pushes me to try to better myself.

It's already been said, but start out small! Any movement is good movement! I started with walking. Recumbent bikes are great too!

I feel like there is a huge misconception that people feel like they need to find the motivation before they start exercising, when in reality, I think motivation comes after you start doing it on a regular basis. Basically what I'm trying to say is -- don't feel discouraged if you hate every minute of it and it feels like chore. It gets SO much better.  

Most importantly, be gentle on yourself! You've got this! 

you will be surprised at how much your motivation to exercise changes once you lose some weight.  Before, I looked for any excuse to get out of exercising and now I bend of backward to fit it in and make it happen.  It is really amazing how much your mindset will change.  A big part of it is that you will find that you feel so much better, it comes so much easier--you can actually do it now without feeling like are you going to die, and there is a huge boost to your self esteem that comes from feeling like you can actually DO EXERCISE.  I agree with what others have said...start small and just walk around the block each day...but just know that it is not always going to feel as hard as it does right now...as you start to get healthier the exercise will be much easier for you.  I am not going to promise you that you will ever love it...but you will be able to do it...I will promise you that!  :)

This thread is so encouraging!

brb - I gotta go for a walk.

If you can get to a pool it's really great to start just walking in the water.

The recumbent bike might not be so good for your back/sciatica issues...

Put on some tunes and dance! no special equipment required!

When I joined the gym I started with walking in the pool, progressed to aquacize classes, then pilates, yoga, spinning, seated elliptical, weight machines, walking the dogs, plus I get out and ride my bike on the weekends. Whatever you do to move is good! I like to mix it up so I don't get bored. 

When I joined the gym I started with walking in the pool, progressed to aquacize classes, then pilates, yoga, spinning, seated elliptical, weight machines, walking the dogs, plus I get out and ride my bike on the weekends.

Amazing! Did you feel like you had more energy and then started exercising, or did you get more energy FROM exercising? 'Cause I feel lazy, and I often wonder if it's because I am not eating very many calories each day. (600-800, so what I am supposed to, but not a lot to fuel working out, ya know?) Still, I was even lazier 44 pounds ago, so I don't know...

Amazing! Did you feel like you had more energy and then started exercising, or did you get more energy FROM exercising? 'Cause I feel lazy, and I often wonder if it's because I am not eating very many calories each day. (600-800, so what I am supposed to, but not a lot to fuel working out, ya know?) Still, I was even lazier 44 pounds ago, so I don't know...

I'm lazy with all caps LAZY. But if I get off my behiney and get moving I always feel amaxing after. My body loves working out! My brain? Well we're still working on her.

I seem to have energy to burn! I just never stop moving the whole day. I was like this pre-op too, but my feet hurt so much that it really put a damper on my activities. I drive friends and family nuts when we go shopping because I can really go the whole day. ..they always need to have a sitting down break!