lennonforever

I am beyond SICK OF THESE PILLS!

Please someone give me help! I am seven months RNY- I can't stand taking all these vitamins and minerals. They fill my pouch to the extreme and make me so nauseous. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

These pills are in addition to others for depression,anxiety, migraines

I've found that I have to buy soft chews in calcium, multi, and B complex. I tried to swallow the pill forms but I get so sick. Its too much for me. And I kinda enjoy the taste of the soft chews.

I hear ya!  The worst part of being sleeved is having to take a fist full of pills.  I do prefer chewable vitamins, but I take a lot of in capsule form too.  I space them out over the course of the day.  It helps.  Also, some mult-vitamins make me feel sick to my stomach and some don't.  My bariatric nutritionist suggested trying another brand if they make you sick.  

Brooke Danielle, where do you find chewable B complex?

I have to take a fistful of pills twice a day. I find that if I take them with a bit of something with flavor they go down easier. My personal favorite is V8. Also I take them in stages because morning pills are the worst. 5 when I wake up, 4 after breakfast and 5 at night.

Sometimes just looking at them sitting on the counter makes me retch.

I just grin and bear it tho. I have to take them. It's really bad when I'm traveling.

The vitamins are for life. Might as well get used to them.

I get B Complex gummies at Walmart. They're about $6, I think.

Edited by Brooke Danielle

I was going to suggest spacing them out if you can.  I can't take more than 2 of anything at once, either.  ugh.

This morning, I took my second round pills with a couple of ounces of an Atkins protein shake.  The nice thing is that this liquid is a bit slicker than water, so the pills go down easier.  You might try it.

This morning, I took my second round pills with a couple of ounces of an Atkins protein shake.  The nice thing is that this liquid is a bit slicker than water, so the pills go down easier.  You might try it.

I eat my morning handful with either water or yogurt.

thank you all . I guess we're all in this together :blink: and Brooke - where can I get the chewable calcium?

At first I was alloed to take tums with calcium but at the three month post op visit nutiritonist said I had to take the god-awful calcium tablets - two big ones twice a day , it's terrible!

thank you all . I guess we're all in this together :blink: and Brooke - where can I get the chewable calcium?

At first I was alloed to take tums with calcium but at the three month post op visit nutiritonist said I had to take the god-awful calcium tablets - two big ones twice a day , it's terrible!

I really hate taking the pills too, but I've just sucked it up and taken them for over 5 years now.

The calcium pils are so important for RNY patients to prevent bone embrittlement and osteoporosis later in life. Did any of you VSG folks have a Nut that required calcium supplements? If so, why?

Not Brooke but just a word of caution.

If you're buying calcium chewables at the store, read the label carefully.  Most (if not all) are not calcium citrate.

I really hate taking the pills too, but I've just sucked it up and taken them for over 5 years now.

The calcium pils are so important for RNY patients to prevent bone embrittlement and osteoporosis later in life. Did any of you VSG folks have a Nut that required calcium supplements? If so, why?

My program requires VSG to supplement Calcium as well, yes.  I would think the fact our diet has changed and the quantity is drastically reduced that extra Calcium surely would not hurt us regardless.  They allow for calcium carbonite for VSG as well  (but I do take a citrate).

My surgeon recommended the Walmart or CVS store brand calcium soft chews. They're not "citrate" but my surgeon said they'll be fine. They taste pretty good and they're $10.

My surgeon recommended the Walmart or CVS store brand calcium soft chews. They're not "citrate" but my surgeon said they'll be fine. They taste pretty good and they're $10.

Then maybe your surgeon should read up on the calcium absorption in an RNY patient!  We can't absorb Calcium Carbonate as easily.  Citrate is far more easily absorbed by WLS patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437082

This is a comparison of the two forms of calcium.

Comparison of the absorption of calcium carbonate and calcium citrate after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
Author information
  • 1Department of Internal Medicine, Charles and Jane Pak Center for Mineral Metabolism, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390-8885, USA.
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:

Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) restricts food intake. Consequently, patients consume less calcium. In addition, food no longer passes through the duodenum, the main site of calcium absorption. Therefore, calcium absorption is significantly impaired. The goal of this study is to compare two common calcium supplements in gastric bypass patients.

METHOD:

Nineteen patients were enrolled in a randomized, double-blinded, crossover study comparing the absorption of calcium from calcium carbonate and calcium citrate salts. Serum and urine calcium levels were assessed for peak values (C (max)) and cumulative calcium increment (area under the curve [AUC]). Serum PTH was assessed for minimum values (PTH(min)) and cumulative PTH decrement (AUC). Statistical analysis was performed using a repeated analysis of variance model.

RESULTS:

Eighteen subjects completed the study. Calcium citrate resulted in a significantly higher serum C (max) (9.4 + 0.4 mg/dl vs. 9.2 + 0.3 mg/dl, p = 0.02) and serum AUC (55 + 2 mg/dl vs. 54 + 2 mg/dl, p = 0.02). Calcium citrate resulted in a significantly lower PTH(min) (24 + 11 pg/ml vs. 30 + 13 pg/ml, p = 0.01) and a higher AUC (-32 + 51 pg/ml vs. -3 + 56 pg/ml, p = 0.04). There was a non-significant trend for higher urinary AUC in the calcium citrate group (76.13 + 36.39 mg/6 h vs. 66.04 + 40.82, p = 0.17).

CONCLUSION:

Calcium citrate has superior bioavailability than calcium carbonate in RYGB patients.

Edited by Happy-Camper

Brooke - what form of calcium you take is your choice but you need to be aware that calcium carbonate needs to be taken with food because it's absorption is reliant on stomach acid for absorption but as a RNY patient you don't produce much of that anyway.

I hope your surgeon has scheduled you for regular DEXA (DXA) scans to test your bone density.  

Initially I was told to use the citrate form, but I called back to let them know I was not taking it because they were too big. Even the petites. They would get stuck every time until I could throw up. So that's when they told me to get the store brand soft chews. My nut is a wls patient and she takes the same ones. Maybe they thought those were better than none at all. Idk? I'll research citrate soft chews or gummies. Thanks for letting me know:)

Then maybe your surgeon should read up on the calcium absorption in an RNY patient! We can't absorb Calcium Carbonate as easily. Citrate is far more easily absorbed by WLS patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437082

This is a comparison of the two forms of calcium.

Comparison of the absorption of calcium carbonate and calcium citrate after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.

Tondapu P1, Provost D, Adams-Huet B, Sims T, Chang C, Sakhaee K.

Author information

• 1Department of Internal Medicine, Charles and Jane Pak Center for Mineral Metabolism, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390-8885, USA.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) restricts food intake. Consequently, patients consume less calcium. In addition, food no longer passes through the duodenum, the main site of calcium absorption. Therefore, calcium absorption is significantly impaired. The goal of this study is to compare two common calcium supplements in gastric bypass patients.

METHOD:

Nineteen patients were enrolled in a randomized, double-blinded, crossover study comparing the absorption of calcium from calcium carbonate and calcium citrate salts. Serum and urine calcium levels were assessed for peak values (C (max)) and cumulative calcium increment (area under the curve [AUC]). Serum PTH was assessed for minimum values (PTH(min)) and cumulative PTH decrement (AUC). Statistical analysis was performed using a repeated analysis of variance model.

RESULTS:

Eighteen subjects completed the study. Calcium citrate resulted in a significantly higher serum C (max) (9.4 + 0.4 mg/dl vs. 9.2 + 0.3 mg/dl, p = 0.02) and serum AUC (55 + 2 mg/dl vs. 54 + 2 mg/dl, p = 0.02). Calcium citrate resulted in a significantly lower PTH(min) (24 + 11 pg/ml vs. 30 + 13 pg/ml, p = 0.01) and a higher AUC (-32 + 51 pg/ml vs. -3 + 56 pg/ml, p = 0.04). There was a non-significant trend for higher urinary AUC in the calcium citrate group (76.13 + 36.39 mg/6 h vs. 66.04 + 40.82, p = 0.17).

CONCLUSION:

Calcium citrate has superior bioavailability than calcium carbonate in RYGB patients.

Brooke - what form of calcium you take is your choice but you need to be aware that calcium carbonate needs to be taken with food because it's absorption is reliant on stomach acid for absorption but as a RNY patient you don't produce much of that anyway.

I hope your surgeon has scheduled you for regular DEXA (DXA) scans to test your bone density.

No DXA scans have been scheduled or discussed. I've only seen my surgeon once since surgery day. Edited by Brooke Danielle

@lennonforever, celebrate vitamins.com has calcium citrate chewables AND soft chews. Looks like they're about $20/month. They have different flavors to choose from and good reviews. I might try these when I finish what I've got.

Another option worth considering is UpCal D calcium citrate with vitamin D powder.  It's tasteless and you can add it to your water or whatever:  http://www.colonialmedical.com/index.php?action=search&k=UpCal+D

I take Wellesse Calcium citrate plus D. It's a liquid. I space three table spoons out during the day. It's $6 at Walmart

Edited by cinwa

Please someone give me help! I am seven months RNY- I can't stand taking all these vitamins and minerals. They fill my pouch to the extreme and make me so nauseous. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

We all knew going into this that vitamins and supplements were going to be required for life. If for some reason you weren't told by your bariatric practice, it has been discussed constantly here in the forums.

I take 2 celebrate chewable vitamins, bariatric advantage calcium chews, and an iron supplement as well as a couple of other things every day.

Considering the way I look and feel, the inconvenience of a few extra pills is worth it!

Nobody likes taking their vitamins but it is better than having complications a few years down the road.

Bariatric advantage I think makes a lemon chew that is good. I take opurity multivitamin for post op bypass and sleeve. Take them with food.

I was active duty army and my chief nurse at Walter reed hospital would say: just suck it up and do it. That was and is my motivation for things I don't want to do or I think are too hard to complete.

Brooke - I'll check out those chewables, thanks all!

I take Wellesse Calcium citrate plus D. It's a liquid. I space three table spoons out during the day. It's $6 at Walmart

War dog, calcium is best absorbed when taken with food.