SkinnyMinnie123

Greek Yogurt

I know a lot of us use Greek yogurt as a staple in our diets, but I've long suspected that not all Greek yogurts are created equal and I've grown to be a more suspicious consumer since I've started this weight loss journey. There are a lot of companies that jump on the "healthy" bandwagon but really are deceiving us. I found this article that ranks the different Greek yogurt varieties that may be of interest to some:

http://www.befoodsmart.com/blog/the-best-and-worst-greek-style-yogurts-for-your-health/

Let me know what you think :)

Fage is the best!  I'm not a huge Greek Yogurt fan because to me, it's kind of bitter, like Sour Cream.  But with fruit added very enjoyable.  I actually use it as a substitute for sour cream.  More protein.

Thanks for sharing! 

I actually buy the Greek yogurt at Trader Joe's-and it's only $.99 per container. It has 120 calories because there is a small amount of sugar, but I like it much more than the others I've tried for about half the price. 

Interesting. Thanks!

I must be an odd duck cause I think Fage is pretty gross.  Dannon Light and Fit or....  if I have to, Oikos for me all the way.

I'm sitting here knoshing on Chobani Vanilla bean. I have to admit, my fav has been Dannon Oikos Vanilla. But after reading this I've decided to switch to Chobani. I think I will get used to it, but might have a period of mourning over my Oikos.

I must be an odd duck cause I think Fage is pretty gross.  Dannon Light and Fit or....  if I have to, Oikos for me all the way.

I've been too chicken to try Fage yet. It's so much more expensive and I worry that it will be nasty. I had a carton of it my hand today, but ended up setting it down.

I keep trying to work up the nerve to try plain greek yogurt, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Edited by SkinnyMinnie123

Nope! The very best tasting is trader joes!!!!! Nom! Nom!

I've never been able to get past the odd taste of it. I don't like sour cream or cottage cheese, so maybe the tastes are too similar.

I hated any kind of yogurt before surgery - I mean HATED it. The fact that I've developed a taste for yogurt period is a miracle.

Does adding Splenda or Truvia improve the taste?

Edited by Florida Girl

I've never been able to get past the odd taste of it. I don't like sour cream or cottage cheese, so maybe the tastes are too similar.

I hated any kind of yogurt before surgery - I mean HATED it. The fact that I've developed a taste for yogurt period is a miracle.

I've never tried adding anything to yogurt. I've seen a lot of people say that they do that, but I've never tried it. It seems like it would make it gritty or something. Texture is a BIG thing with me...

Nope! The very best tasting is trader joes!!!!! Nom! Nom!

I'll have to give it a try... we've only got ONE where we live and it's rather inconvenient to get to, but if I drive home from work the right way I can stop by. I actually try to avoid that store cause they've got SOOOO many good and very naughty treats! But maybe I can discipline myself to JUST walk to the yogurt section. No looking at anything else!

Fage is number 1 for me.  It is the only yogurt I eat. Unflavored 0% fat is all I need due to the richness of the product.  I tried another vanilla brand and had to throw it out.  There is a small company starting up at the farmers market I go to who makes the yogurt by hand.  He has tangy and regular.  Hands down the best yogurt I have ever tasted.  If only I could remember the name. It is organic as well.  A little pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. 

My favorite, and for a change I add in 1 Tbs of PB2. Yum!

post-48027-0-57126600-1401324396_thumb.j

post-48027-0-31530000-1401324413_thumb.j

NOT a Greek yogurt fan, but I do enjoy Carbmaster brand from time to time.

I add Splenda to mine and it does change the taste.  I used to hate greek yogurt but I love it now!   This is the only kind I buy now.  I pray my grocery store doesn't stop selling it.

http://www.stonyfield.com/products/yogurt/greek/plain

I eat Fage or sometimes Trader Joes or Chobani.  I don't ever eat "diet, or sugar free, or lite" yogurt as it all contains chemicals that I don't want in my body.

Somehow Fage has more protein. I love making mine but can't figure how there is so much in Fage. I'm sticking with the highest protein...