3girldogs

Kidney stones - 6 months out

I had my first kidney stone about three weeks ago and now I have another kidney stone. I drink a lot of water here in South Carolina because it is so hot. Is there anything else that I can be doing?

How much calcium are you taking? I was told around 1500, and not to take it all at the same time. To spread it out during the day

My doctor has me on one calcium chew a day. I saw him last week and mentioned the kidney stone. He said there was nothing I could take, that was just a result of fast weight loss.

My doctor has me on one calcium chew a day. I saw him last week and mentioned the kidney stone. He said there was nothing I could take, that was just a result of fast weight loss.

I have heard this about gall stones but not kidney stones.

Which kind of calcium are you taking?  My program has me on calcium citrate because the calcium carbonate has been known to cause kidney stones.  (their words, I have no linkage)

Which kind of calcium are you taking?  My program has me on calcium citrate because the calcium carbonate has been known to cause kidney stones.  (their words, I have no linkage)

We can't absorb carbonate, whereas citrate is easily absorbed.

It depends what your stones are made of. If they are calcium oxalate, the more common kind, here are some tips. Add sugar free lemonade to your diet, every day.One liter is optimal. This is to get citrates which are huge inhibitors of these stones. Real lemonade, not crystal light.Do not eat nuts, legumes,granola, no tea, only herbals. Do a google search for high calcium oxalate foods. Lists are all over as these foods are suspected to exacerbate Autism. Yes, you will wonder what you CAN eat. Add a small amount of calcium rich foods with meals. A calorie challenge for sure. And no calcium supplements- clearly a recommendation I cannot follow now. Just make sure to take them with meals.I have had 12 stones-pre-op. Last CT I had none. Due another CT in a few months. Hope I get through my early post-op phase without making any. Remaining hydrated is your first defense. Three liters a day minimum. That's a lot on this little tummy and I rarely make it at this point, but you might be able to. Give it your best shot and good luck! And yes, kidney stones are a risk after wls. Just isn't as common as gallstones. Its the dehydration.The 2 liter standard goal just isn't enough for a stone maker.Figure this out. Its important to nip it. The more stones you make, the better your kidneys get at making more. I have a great nephrologist:) He is very informative.