jfsjr61

May 19th surgery buddy's

May 19 reunion 10 days post open here

Hey, in the meantime, how are you doing?

Food/protein is just an issue right now and I'm trying different things to figure out what works, but each day I notice pain (rather ache) improvement.

Same here

Are you guys talking about the gas ache thing? Walking helps me a ton with that. How far out are you alum? I have been getting good protein from my shakes...using premier and muscle milk light. I also got some of the Unjury Chicken soup - 1 serving has 20g of protein. I also decided to get some campbells beefy mushroom soup...and after cooking it, I strained it so it was just the clear liquid. Super tasty!

Alum...I think our options are largely dictated by how far out we are from surgery :)  What have you tried? Anything that has worked yet?

Are you guys talking about the gas ache thing? Walking helps me a ton with that. How far out are you alum? I have been getting good protein from my shakes...using premier and muscle milk light. I also got some of the Unjury Chicken soup - 1 serving has 20g of protein. I also decided to get some campbells beefy mushroom soup...and after cooking it, I strained it so it was just the clear liquid. Super tasty!

Alum...I think our options are largely dictated by how far out we are from surgery :)  What have you tried? Anything that has worked yet?

Thank you for the tips.  I cannot do the drinks that have any thickness, so I am exploring foods and drinks with a water consistency.  I appreciate your response!

Not gas for me, I simply do not tolerate getting it down and the uncomfortable feeling from the wrong choice is immediate.  

I am allowed ground turkey and I added that to fat free refried beans and low fat cheese and slow cooked it for a bit.  I am trying to get as much protein that I can handle into one dish.  Thus far, the bean dish has worked.  That and cottage cheese.  We are also allowed white fish but I had an immediate negative reaction to that.

My doctor is aggressive perhaps, so I try the items on the list but go back to what works when needed.  

The absolute smartest thing you can do is listen to your body. If something is working for you - go with it! I was also thinking that there is a protein water called "Isopure". These are similar consistency to water...no thickness, and there are 40 grams of protein in a 20oz bottle. It could be a double dip...your fluids and your protein! I havent tried them personally, but Ive seen several folks say they really like them.

Here is a link:

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/drinks/

I would also suggest that you take a peek at the forum on this site labeled Vitamins, supplements and  protein drinks; also the recipe  section. Maybe you can find some ideas there. I didnt see you mention eggs, but those might work too :)

Best of luck. There are some pretty amazing and creative people here who have all walked before us. I am sure you will find folks to provide ideas that will help :)

19 days out and doing great. I still havent come across anything that has made me sick or given me stomach pain. I've had a pureed avocado with garlic & lemon, scrambled eggs with mild peppers, cottage cheese, and broccoli cheese soup. I've been trying to gauge how much is too much, and have been working on stopping before I get that full sensation. I am getting better at it, but even when I feel full...its not unmanageable. Still good with the water and the protein...still dropping weight. I am down 13lbs post surgery and 56 total. Only hang up is one of my surgery incisions is fighting healing all the way. My doc looked at it and said even though it has healed closed it appears lightly infected right below the surface. It seems to be improving though.

I hope all of you are doing well. Check in, why don't ya :)

Glad to read that things are going well for you.  I did happen to get Isopure and it's been a life-saver for me in terms of protein.  Other items are give or take.