goingtobethinin2010

FEELING LIKE I AM LOSING CONTROL

Ok so I am just over 4 years out as of 4-28-14 and lost a total of 136 pounds I went from 280 to a low of 144 -145 then remained at 145 for about 2 years that put me at year 3 since it took a year to lose the 136 pounds. I gained about 12 pounds and maintained that for the next year. that put me at year 3 now from year 3 to 4 I have put on an additional 10 pounds so from my lowest weight I have gained a total of 20 pounds over the 3 years since I lost all of my weight. I know there is a considered rebound gain of about 15 to 20  pounds from your lowest weight. I am starting to worry a little because I know I am not making good food choices and eat to many snacks a day. I am happy with my current weight but need to be sure the gaining now levels out. I need to some tips on how to get back on track I have enjoyed this new life so much and can not go back.  I need that push from you good people telling me I can do this. I need to get back to basics and eat my protein first them other foods last and close way back on the coffee per day and I should be ok.  

I am not in a position to give you advice as I am still losing, but I wish you success.  

Like angel, I am far away from maintenance but struggle with the same things you are struggling with. It sounds like you know what you are doing wrong. it is time to eat cleaner. I know from personal experience this is easier said than done.

Hi.  We had our surgery around the same time (mine was January of 2010) and I wanted to let you know that you are not alone.  I never quite made my goal of 150- I think I got down to 152.  I wasn't too unhappy with that because I looked and felt good.  Buuuutttt...then the weight started creeping back on.  a pound or two here and there at first and then blamm-o!  I started gaining at a much more rapid rate over the past year or so.  I am offically 30 pounds heavier than my lowest.  And I'm getting desperate.  I'm better about my exercise but my bad food habits are biting me in the hiney.  It's time for me to do the 5 day pouch test (for real, this time) and get a handle on this.  I refuse to go back to where I started. 

The good news is that you know what you need to do- now you just need to do it.  I'll be cheering for you!

I'm about the same distance out and I can totally relate. I have gained about 30 pounds from my lowest point and I don't make the best choices anymore. I have basically been at this weight for the past year and while I'm more than happy at where I am, I would like to drop about 15 to 20 lbs. before next summer for my wedding. I like to blame the fact that I had a serious bout of migraines which then lead to some medications that caused vertigo, which then caused me to fall constantly and ended up with a severe shoulder injury. So I haven't been able to be very active since last Summer. Some of the different medications I got put on caused some of the weight gain, and just as I was starting to get use of my shoulder back somewhat I was in a bad car accident in April. Now I can barely move (lower back and leg injury) and I have been on prednisone to try and quicken some of the healing. So just as I was going to be able to be more active again I'm back to square one.

What I can do, and I need to do, is make better food choices and go back to the basics.  Protein, protein, protein. Cut out the carbs.

We can do this!  :D

I sure can appreciate where you are coming from. At 3 years out I am still maintaining.

What I have noticed it is easier to eat what I want. This week there were plenty of end of the school year treats in the lounge. In the past a bar would have put me down for a nap and worse. This week temptations got me once in a while. I will say the junk food did slow down my system and proved how much my body prefers healthy pure food.

I feel like I am just like a normal person now. Just like anyone else who watches their food choices or weight.

Honestly, it seems like you are giving us tips and have nailed how you want this to go! Protein and hydration first. Go back to "planned snacks" to stay satisfied when the crazy temptations come your way.

I really appreciate your journey and continuing to share. Comes off easiest the first year and then it is up to us. You've got this!

Sounds like 30 is the magic number here......I too am 30 lbs. heavier than my lowest weight of 130. I personally felt too thin at 130 and feel that my "comfortable" weight is at 140....but given that, I'm STILL not thrilled.

I'm comforted to see that I'm not the only one struggling with this issue. There are many things that I feel have contributed to my weight gain. First and foremost is that my diet has become too "relaxed", meaning I eat a lot of things I probably shouldn't. I am totally responsible for this and have been trying to make a conscious effort to get back on track. Second reason is that since October 2013 I have had one health issue after another which has kept me from getting in as much exercise as I should. I had a tibial stress fracture of my right leg that had me in a cast for 6-8 weeks, then in November before Thanksgiving I had emergency open abdominal surgery for twisted bowel. Then In January I began having back problems and am now waiting to hear if I need spinal surgery. So, this has put my exercise program on a major haitus. And if I have surgery, I'm thinking that will probably be a long recovery as well.

At any rate..... It's all a matter of getting serious and determined again to stay motivated to get back on track. We did this once before....I know we all can do this again!

I know I will get some negative feedback but I am over 4 years out and I surpassed my 150 lb goal and today continue to maintain my 128 lbs. Here it goes........ I do not exercise, I do however watch everything I put in my mouth. I do think exercise is important but I am lazy when it comes to exercising. I do think that maintaining your loss is all about the right food choices and portions.

Mamacita, I hate hearing what a tough year you have had . Those are huge set backs and I imagine very emotional too. I'm not sure how I would handle one thing after another. (I have private worries about obstructions along with my bad neck and what the future holds.)

I am trying to remember, weren't you a runner? I can't imagine losing your "thing".

Good luck to you and it sounds like you've got this and know what you want to do!

I am still in losing phase, but I would think going back to basics like weighing and measuring, cutting down on carbs and increasing water could only help.

Does your surgeon have support groups you could attend?

Good luck.

I know I will get some negative feedback but I am over 4 years out and I surpassed my 150 lb goal and today continue to maintain my 128 lbs. Here it goes........ I do not exercise, I do however watch everything I put in my mouth. I do think exercise is important but I am lazy when it comes to exercising. I do think that maintaining your loss is all about the right food choices and portions.

I agree Jodi I have never exercised either I am just lazy when not at work I am totally lazy and do not do a whole lot. I have been eating junk for a while maybe a year now and I still never gained anything back then at about the 3 year mark I started putting a few back on. I am happy with the weight of 165 and 5'7 but the pounds I put back on went straight to my problem area my thighs. I am doing a little better with not snacking but then the other day I did too good and just ate a chicken soft taco for lunch and nothing else until I got home from work by 5:30 I felt really weird I have been feeling tired and think my thyroid may be out of wack but all of a sudden I could not focus I was trying to take my sugar level and could not even think how to do it my husband took it for me and it was at 34. That really scared me and I know I have to balance the meals with a protein snack later on so this does not happen again. I have never had diabetes but my sugar has dropped really low maybe 5 times or so over the 4 years since surgery. It is very scary normally I can feel it coming on but Friday I did not.

Edited by goingtobethinin2010

Hang in there. Try to get back to what you know to do. Thanks for sharing! You can do this! Thinking of you...Stay in touch...

Three knee surgeries since August so no exercise except leg muscle strengthening- sitting on my butt has resulted in a 6 pound gain- yuck! I can relate- if I'm not exercising, then the only way to maintain weight loss is to cut calories! Which I have NOT done too well, obviously. 1500-1800 calories when working out is fine for me, but 1500 when doing nothing results in a slow, insidious gain- a "slippery slope" as some of these folks call it! 

Like all the other long termers out here, I live in fear of gaining my 140 lbs back, so it's back to protein for me as well!

HUGS!

Nancy

I had my surgery 3.5 years ago and too have gained 30 lbs in the last year! I am trying to change my diet but am finding it hard to get motivated! I need help!

I have now lost 4 pounds with out really even trying to I feel a lot better. I seem to be able to eat more at a time but then do not want anything for hours so that is good. have to expect to be able to eat a little more at 4 years out than I did in the beginning. I am only up 2 pounds since December so that is good. I am still in a normal weight range 162 and 5'7 so just being more conscious of the junk I eat.

I'm about the same distance out and I can totally relate. I have gained about 30 pounds from my lowest point and I don't make the best choices anymore. I have basically been at this weight for the past year and while I'm more than happy at where I am, I would like to drop about 15 to 20 lbs. before next summer for my wedding. I like to blame the fact that I had a serious bout of migraines which then lead to some medications that caused vertigo, which then caused me to fall constantly and ended up with a severe shoulder injury. So I haven't been able to be very active since last Summer. Some of the different medications I got put on caused some of the weight gain, and just as I was starting to get use of my shoulder back somewhat I was in a bad car accident in April. Now I can barely move (lower back and leg injury) and I have been on prednisone to try and quicken some of the healing. So just as I was going to be able to be more active again I'm back to square one.

What I can do, and I need to do, is make better food choices and go back to the basics.  Protein, protein, protein. Cut out the carbs.

We can do this!  :D

I am no expert, but sometimes back to basics helps:

Weigh and measure

Track your food intake to calculate your protein and carb intake.

You could do the 5 day pouch test to cut the carb cravings.

Good luck, I am sure you can do this

I, too, am on the 30lb bandwagon.  I am one month away from being four years out.  My lowest weight was 162, and I have crept darn near close to that dreaded 200lb mark.  That terrified me.  I never exercised during my weight loss.  I hated it and it turns out that the reason why I hated it was due to severe sciatic pain.  When my weight started creeping up, I started watching my calories again, taking in between 1200-1400 calories a day.  Due to work with a physical therapist and a personal trainer, I can now work out 4-5 times a week.  I still hate it, but at least it doesn't hurt as bad anymore.  After 6-8 weeks of keeping my calories in check and working out almost every day, I had not lost any weight.  It actually threw me into a bit of a depression.  I spoke to my phsyician and she thought that I wasn't not eating enough calories to stimulate my metabolism with the increased workouts.  Do you know how scary it is to be told to eat MORE?  I've now increased my calories to 1500-1700 calories per day.  I've made sure they're healthy calories and I am not using the opportunity to eat more junk (although I'd be lying if I said junk calories dont sneak in occasionally).  It's only been a week, and I dont see any lbs coming off yet, but I have had several people in the last day or so comment that I was looking like I was losing weight.  So maybe its finaly converting some fat to muscle.  We'll see!

Sorry to hear of your struggle.

What about doing body measurements now and then periodically to track your progress other than the scale.

Best wishes.

Sorry to hear of your struggle.

What about doing body measurements now and then periodically to track your progress other than the scale.

Best wishes.

I had not noticed any change in the way my clothes fit, and I had my body fat percentage measured, which had actually gone UP. 

I started the 5 day pouch reset on 9-2 and have lost 6 pounds asof this morning. I had a little trouble on day 2 with a slight headache but other than that it has not been that bad. Wednesday night we went to a steakhouse for my granddaughters birthday party and everyone ate themselves silly and had cake. I am so proud of myself I only had some onion soup. I start today on soft protein so I am going to try a little shreaded chicken yummy as chicken is my favorite. I will let everyone know how this goes and if it really helps to get you back on track.

Hope it gets better soon! Rib injuries are so painful!

I agree completely I do not exercise either and have been eating what ever I want just in smaller portions. I started the 5 day pouch reset today is day 5 and I have lost 6 pounds and can tell I am not craving carbs like I was, I had started eating sweets at least twice everyday and that has to stop. I feel like I have regained control of the urges and now will make sure I eat slow and protein first. I will do this I have come to far to ever go back no food is worth that.

I agree completely I do not exercise either and have been eating what ever I want just in smaller portions. I started the 5 day pouch reset today is day 5 and I have lost 6 pounds and can tell I am not craving carbs like I was, I had started eating sweets at least twice everyday and that has to stop. I feel like I have regained control of the urges and now will make sure I eat slow and protein first. I will do this I have come to far to ever go back no food is worth that.

I do not exercise either. I had my surgery in January and started to exercise but had a shoulder injury in March that has resulted in a frozen shoulder which is extremely painful. It hurts even to walk. I have been out of work since June . Cannot perform my job . I am right handed and cannot even do much around the house. I am on narcotic pain meds around the clock even just to function. So I cannot exercise. I have not only reached my goal but am under my goal. I watch what I eat very carefully. Eat almost no carbs except an occasional cup of popcorn. I would like to exercise because I know it is heart healthy but now I cannot. I guess I am not a good example of healthy behavior after weight loss surgery but....,being injured by a patient at work was beyond my control.

I am having trouble losing my weight from pregnancy. I am eating good, with the occasional bad ( yea I know.. I was just out of a hernia surger 3 weeks after baby too and in the process of moving) I lose 8 gain 8 I dont understand whats going on. I am so down. I feel so irritated and I am not sure why It won't budge. I dont expect 10 or 20 lbs like in the beginning but I do expect to see a 1 or 2 every couple weeks like a normal person. Ugh

I am having trouble losing my weight from pregnancy. I am eating good, with the occasional bad ( yea I know.. I was just out of a hernia surger 3 weeks after baby too and in the process of moving) I lose 8 gain 8 I dont understand whats going on. I am so down. I feel so irritated and I am not sure why It won't budge. I dont expect 10 or 20 lbs like in the beginning but I do expect to see a 1 or 2 every couple weeks like a normal person. Ugh

I would suggest going back to basics.

Weigh and measure your food.

Track your food so you know how much protein and carbs you are taking in.

Meet your protein goal of 60 to 80 gms of protein and 64 oz of fluid.

Start walking . Push the baby in the stroller. Good for both of you.

Best...