hollysmom55

2 years out soon, never hit goal weight

Grok is really good if you want something crunchy without any carbs and 6 grams of protein/serving. Its baked/dehydrated cheese with the texture of a really crunchy rice cake. Here is a link to the site.  http://www.grok.it/en/

I buy them at costco. 6 bags bundled together is $3. And each bag has two servings. They are cheap and WLS friendly. 

If you have food you don't want or don't want to eat, the best place to get rid of it is a kitchen/break room at work. 

If you have food you don't want or don't want to eat, the best place to get rid of it is a kitchen/break room at work. 

I don't work, I am on disability.  I can't believe everyone is so up in arms about me not throwing out those pretzels.  Well, they have been gone for four days, and I have been carb free since then.  Nobody is mentioning that.  I never heard of Grok, but I will check it out.

Grok is really good if you want something crunchy without any carbs and 6 grams of protein/serving. Its baked/dehydrated cheese with the texture of a really crunchy rice cake. Here is a link to the site.  http://www.grok.it/en/

I buy them at costco. 6 bags bundled together is $3. And each bag has two servings. They are cheap and WLS friendly. 

Okay, Grok looks interesting.  I'll give it a try if I can find it.  We don't have a Costco around here.  But I will look it up on line.  

Where do you find Grok, in the snacks or in dairy?

lIfe is about choices. Cooking certainly doesn't have to be expensive - I grew up in a large family and we cooked everything. And if you are purchasing lots of fruit you must be aware of that as well. Go to aldis and stock yup n raw produce.

Slice up a zucchini red yellow pepper, mushrooms and an onion.

Spray with cooking spray and liberally dust with salt pepper steak seasoning and stir to goat..

Putin 425 oven stirring frequently till desired doneness.

You now have the base for aq variety of protein dishes ready to go.

No pretzels allowed

Wow, Grok is really expensive.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't afford it. :(

Hollysmom, it sounds like you are on the right track now, congratulations on taking control and getting back on track, if this was an easy journey we wouldn't need a support group.

Hang in there you are going to do great!

Thank you Bama.  I'm doing my best and not giving up.

I also have charcot joint issues in my ankles so I feel your pain. I wear braces/supports to walk. I'm on my feet all day at work. I use a stationary bike it helps. I love chicken; I slice up a couple of chicken breasts, some peppers and onions, sprinkle with taco seasoning and saute them til done. I use for lunch and supper for a few meals. Throw some salsa on it. Couldn't be easier. Don't feel like cooking get a rotisserie chicken that's good for 6 or 7 meals (costs about $5) Sure cheaper than eating out or whatever... If its a trigger food don't have it in the house; you live alone you don't need to have junk at home. Junk food is cheap (maybe one of the reasons there is so many overweight people; cheap and easy) Try eggface.com. she also lives alone and has had WLS. Her recipes are easy and good for you.. Good luck, you can do this!! Your tag line says it best "Believe you can!" Lois

Hi Hollysmom! 

I glad to see you came back here for some support and encouragement....... and know we are all here to support you, some of us just express it in harsher manner than others.  

I can only speak from my personal experience, and for me, when I got stuck on craving carbs, I did the 5 Day Pouch Test.   Nothing but protein drinks for the first 2 days and then chicken and veggies for the next 3 days.  It worked!!  Carb cravings went out the window and I dropped 10 pounds in 5 days.   Then I was able to keep my calories low by eating chicken, fish, and veggies until I hit goal weight.   

As far as recipes -- I love making big batches of cheap meals!!  I buy chicken when it is on sale...with or without the skin (the extra fat from the skin will actually help keep your carb cravings at bay).   On Sunday I'll bake, sautee, broil, or crockpot chicken and veggies to have on hand for the whole week.  I always keep fresh lettuce, cabbage (cheap), and spinach in the fridge with an assortment of salad dressings and salsas for a quick cold salad -- just add cold chicken.

Here are some of my favorite recipes:

Baked Chicken:   Rub your favorite spices plus salt and pepper all over chicken.  Place chicken with cut up carrots, celery, zucchini, mushrooms - whatever was on sale that week and put it all in a baking dish.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes if it is bl/sl or 60 minutes if it is bone-in with the skin.   My favorite spices include rosemary, thyme, cumin, garlic, and paprika (or mix and match combinations). 

Cheesy Baked Chicken -- do the same as above, but add a cup of your favorite cheese over the top before baking -- YUMMMMMMMM!

Crockpot Chicken:  Toss a whole pack of chicken in the crockpot with a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup and a bag of frozen veggies (any that you like).  Simmer on low for 4 hours for bl/sl and 8 hours for bone-in with skin.  The soup makes a thick sauce that is delicious!!

You can weigh out portions to keep in the fridge and all of it freezes beautifully.

I wish you the best on this journey!  I know you can do it!

God Bless You

~ Carol

Edited by carolthomas

Thank you TT and Carol.  I am going to check into the 5-day pouch test.  Carol, I added your recipes to my collection that I just started.

Hollysmom55

Did you have a psych evaluation before your surgery? . It sounds to me that you might not have been ready "mentally" for surgery. GO COLD TURKEY! You can do it if you really want to. After a week or to of hell you'll start to feel better. If you haven't done it yet, right now go to your pantry and fridge, GRAB EVERYTHING (the PRETZELS) that has 5 or less carbs per serving throw it in the trash. Then when your done take your trash outside and put it in the garbage can. And if you have to snack, just grab some kind of protien and just take a bite or two. Maybe scramble "1" egg, or a couple little bites of tuna or chicken. Or if your stomach is completely healed grab a small piece of jerky. When you start thinking you want something loaded with carbs and you say to yourself its not allowed and you turn it away and eat some protein you'll feel so good about yourself.

I'm so jealous of people who can buy Grok at their Costco stores! They don't carry it near me. I do make my own parmesan crisps though-they are kind of pricey, but good.

Hollysmom55

Did you have a psych evaluation before your surgery? . It sounds to me that you might not have been ready "mentally" for surgery. GO COLD TURKEY! You can do it if you really want to. After a week or to of hell you'll start to feel better. If you haven't done it yet, right now go to your pantry and fridge, GRAB EVERYTHING (the PRETZELS) that has 5 or less carbs per serving throw it in the trash. Then when your done take your trash outside and put it in the garbage can. And if you have to snack, just grab some kind of protien and just take a bite or two. Maybe scramble "1" egg, or a couple little bites of tuna or chicken. Or if your stomach is completely healed grab a small piece of jerky. When you start thinking you want something loaded with carbs and you say to yourself its not allowed and you turn it away and eat some protein you'll feel so good about yourself.

Did I have a psych evaluation?  Gee, let's see.  I've been in therapy and on meds for the last 20 years.  Does that count?  I already said I was OFF carbs!!  Didn't you read that?  I didn't expect the responses to my post to be so condescending.

Off carbs for a while now.  Lost two pounds.  Really miss my carbs though.  Guess I always will.

There ya go, good for you, glad for you. I'm. Sorry I sounded so "condescending" but sometimes it helps

Remember, you'll. Never EVER eat like you once did.

Thanks!  Sorry I got so pissed off.  It's really hard to do without carbs, but I am forcing myself.  Gotta do what you gotta do.

Stay away from carbs and it gets easier. Make sure your protein intake always exceeds your carbs.

So glad to see you back here Hollysmom, I am just seeing this thread now. I read through and it looks like you are on track :) YAY!!!

Back to basics! I am a fruit monster but am very aware they have the carbs so have to calm it a bit sometimes. Eat your meals until you are full. Don't drink with your food. I would avoid the fruit just for a few days while you are getting started again. Kick it off with a positive mental attitude. Give yourself the kick up the @*# and get on your bike. We all have to do it God know I do! Sometimes we need a wake up call and word with ourselves. Had one with myself last week and pushed myself and it worked. Only person who can do this is YOU! And you can! Roll your sleeves and get your head in the right place. You have an amazing tool, but you just need to refresh yourself on how to use it. Good luck and we are all here to support you!

Thanks!

Yes, WLS not a magic cure. Its so much of a head game. If people could hear what I say to myself they would think I was nuts!! To walk through the fresh produce at our store I have to walk past the donuts; I start telling myself I don't need those that they are evil, I'm stronger than a dang donut... Must be working cause I haven't had one since surgery. If I know my granddaughter is going to be here I buy goldfish or teddy grahams for her that day and send them home with her. I know I would probably eat the whole bag and I don't need it!! If we go to a cook out and there are chips or we have a bonfire I limit myself to 5 chips. I get a taste and the rest goes home with the guests. If they aren't around I can't eat them:) You can do it, it isn't easy but then nothing is... "Believe you CAN!) And you will!!

I don't work, I am on disability.  I can't believe everyone is so up in arms about me not throwing out those pretzels.  Well, they have been gone for four days, and I have been carb free since then.  Nobody is mentioning that.  I never heard of Grok, but I will check it out.

I'm the sole support for 3 adults and money is incredibly tight. I don't qualify for food stamps or any other social programs to help.  My food budget for the month is under $200.  That's for THREE adults one of whom is super mordidly obese and can put it away with great ease. 

I buy FOOD not pretzels, not chips.  Not prepared foods. I cook within my budget and cook food that's nutritious and stretches.  For example, chili is on the menu at least 2x a week in my house.  Why you ask? Because 1 pound of ground beef or turkey, couple cans of beans, tomato paste and seasoning costs around $8 and I can make a minimum of 4 meals out of it.

Wow!  I have $189 worth of food stamps a month, spend my own money on my first big grocery shopping of the month, and still barely make it to the end of the month.  I am using the food bank this month.  Chili is also a big staple for me too.  I use ground turkey, and get 4 or 5 meals out of it.  I don't know how you do it.  Of course we can't buy any of that cheap filler stuff like mac and cheese, pasta, or rice.  Everything has to be protein, fruits or vegetables.  Which is a lot more costly.  How do you do it?

Edited by hollysmom55