kindred71

Surgery was NOT successful.... :(

Guess I won't be on the losers bench for awhile...  

I woke up in recovery in a lot of pain.  Nurses finally got it under control and my neighbors kept moving into their rooms while I was still in recovery.  The nurses kept saying I was going back to AOU (where i started earlier that morning) and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't going to my room.

Finally, my recovery nurse came in with my best friend and son.  The nurse was telling me I had an appendectomy in broken english.  I couldn't figure out what was going on!  Finally, I looked at my best friend and she said "They couldn't do the gastric bypass".  I immediately broke down in tears and couldn't understand why the surgeon didn't do the surgery.  And why was I in SO much pain if they didn't do it?

I finally understood after talking some more to another nurse...  My inside guts are shifted.  My appendix is up where my stomach is.  The surgeon removed it because if I ever had an appendicitis, no one would look for it under my rib cage.  Everyone's small intestine is in the center of their body so moving the intestine to reach up to the pouch is no big deal.  My small intestine is connected all the way over on the right side so stretching it to make it fit to the pouch was not an option.  It just couldn't stretch that much.  In 14 years of my surgeon's experience, I was #6 that has had this anatomy.

I was devastated.  I came home that night in disbelief that I can't have this surgery that I've been planning on for two years.

I talked with my surgeon yesterday and she said I'm a perfect candidate for the Vertical Sleeve and I can have that surgery even with my twisted guts.  I've done so much research and reading on Gastric Bypass, I feel like I have to start all over with the Sleeve surgery.  My surgeon is hoping I can have it done in the next month.  She's sending her report to my Insurance and explaining why I can't have the Gastric Bypass and why I need the Sleeve surgery now.

So many emotions!  Utter disappointment to slight hopefulness...  I have six holes in my stomach...5 from the failed Gastric Bypass and 1 for the appendectomy.  Recovery is going ok, but I'm still disappointed.  I feel like I have to start all over again...  :(

Congrats to everyone else that had a successful surgery!!  I'm really happy and excited for you!!

I am sorry that the surgery went the way it did. I also went in looking forward to have bypass but due to my extensive scare tissue I ended up with the sleeve. It took me a awhile to be ok with the sleeve but I now happy I have it. Yes, my weight loss is slower but I have more ownership of every pound that I lost. Hang in there! I rooting for you!

I can't imagine what you must be going through right now - I'm so sorry they weren't able to complete your surgery, but I have every faith you will get the sleeve and do amazing with it!   My thoughts will be with you as you recover from your surgery and move forward towards getting your sleeve. 

I cannot imagine and truly sorry for you. In the long run, a VSG in a month should give you the same results long term. Stick with it when you are recovered and feel better.

bTw, I sobbed to my mother when I found out I was not a candidate for VSG because acid reflux issues. The surgeon was right and in the end I am happier for getting the right surgery.

Very sorry for you, I hope the alternative makes you happy.

God works in mysterious ways.

So sorry to hear about your surgery!  There is so much mental preparation that goes into this . . . what a curve ball!!

I'm glad to hear that you can have the sleeve though.  You will get there  :)

I'm so sorry you are going through such an ordeal. Thankfully you still have options. I hope you heal quickly and move on to the sleeve soon.

Thank  you everyone for your kind words.  I'm still accepting the fact that I went through this whole process and didn't get the GB surgery.  Never, throughout this whole process, did I think I wouldn't be able to have the surgery!  Such a curveball to wake up and only be missing my appendix!

I was in surgery for 5 hours instead of three because it was a challenge to make the small intestine reach where it had to go. I'm an electronic tech, and don't know what I'll find until i get in there and look.

Hang in there, many very successful sleeves on here! Dees, Aviator, Jolls, and Rxmom at the top of my list, and I know I'm missing a few.

Don't worry, sleeve is awesome  :)   And all those incision scars?   They will just reuse them to do the sleeve, shouldn't have any new ones  :)    Sorry you went through all the preparation (especially mentally) for the bypass, but maybe this is a blessing in disguise!

So sorry you've had to go through this. I LOVE my sleeve. Even just 5 days out I feel it's been the best decision I've made for my health. I've already came off of a number of Meds. You'll do fine with VSG. We can still be recovery buddies. Please let me know if you follow through with it next month! Positive thoughts to you.

I'm so sorry!

Curve ball is right. It's just a minor set back for now. Both the sleeve and the bypass work if you work it. Many of us opted for bypass because of comorbidities,but the sleeve will also help with them just because of the weight loss. You will get there, and we will all be rooting you on at the start and at your goal.

Hang in there I hear the sleeve is just as good

Wow Kindred, May is not a very lucky month...I am so sorry to hear about everything you just went through.  I wish you the best of luck and like many people have already said, many successful Sleeves on the forum, you will be fine.  Keep the faith and just keep your sights towards the goal!  

Take Care!

Oh Kindred..... I am so sorry that the surgery did not go as planned.   But I know without a shadow of a doubt that God's plan has your best interests and health at heart.   I pray the Vertical Sleeve goes smoothly....... and you enjoy the rest of your journey on the losers bench!

God Bless You dear lady

~ Carol

Kindred, truly this is a curveball and surely you are grieving. You are surely unique and now your surgeon can plan what is the VERY best for you. He has insight as what to expect.

Although I am a GBP patient, I believe the sleeve is also a wonderful tool. You will not suffer malabsorption. So many new friends I have met were hoping for the GBP as this is all they know of. Yet their surgeons are preferring the sleeve for them saying there are less risks. Folks here seem to love their sleeve. I know this must be hard to wrap your head around this week.

I am grateful your surgeon knew he couldn't preform this and didn't try as the risk was too great. Now, heal as you have had a major operation and rest your mind. I am feeling confident you can look back very soon and all will be fine. Just take care of yourself and your recovery.

Hugs to you and you will be on the loser's bench very soon!

Wishing you my best. The good news is you eventually will have WLS and will be healthy. Jen

Kindred,

I have been wondering about you. I cant imagine waking up to that news. Here is the thing - you're a fighter, a survivor - don't forget that. This information about your anatomy was sooooo important and valuable. I am an old gal, and if there is one thing I have learned for sure is that things happen when they are supposed to (despite our personal timetables). Now you and your surgeon can move forward and you will be safe.

I understand that jarring feeling of planning for the bypass and then having to shift to the sleeve. That happened to me too. I felt ripped off, frustrated, and powerless. I was so angry and disappointed. I felt like the sleeve was a gastric bypass "light". Guess what? After really looking into it, I found that truthfully, there were a number of things that actually made me a better fit for the sleeve. In the end, I feel grateful, relieved, and like I have had the right procedure. The universe just takes us where we need to go. It took me a while to get there, but if you can come from a place of gratitude for what was learned and for the fact that it was a delay, not a denial, you will find some peace with it like I did. Paula is absolutely right. You are going to grieve this, but I KNOW you will move past it, and in three months from now, we will be hearing your recovery story as we all sit TOGETHER on the losers bench. Don't lose heart. You will get through this...just wait and see :)

VSG is a great procedure and you will be happy with it. You are indeed blessed to have discovered this about yourself.

Let is know how your doing, kindred.

Wow, that is a crazy curve ball to wake up to and what a huge let down, I'm sure. I'm glad he actually didn't do it once he was in there because of all of the complications that you may have experienced, to be honest. It sounds like he was very observant and made the call for your health. Yes, you won't get a bypass, but the VS is seriously just as good from what I've read. And if he says that you are a perfect candidate, then why not? It is becoming a perfectly fine alternative to RNY. And there is plenty of support on here at TT to help you through the process. I'm glad it sounds like the surgeon was looking out for your health while in the situation. And if he can get you in the next month to get the VS done, then that is awesome.

I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointment, but you will be on the loser's bench. Don't give up hope! We're all over here waiting for you!

I went to my surgeon thinking I knew what was best and what I wanted! Thankfully, I trusted his judgement and didn't go against his recommendation, although I was super apprehensive and almost backed out! I hope you come to a peaceful decision. You will know what's right for you!

I was in surgery for 5 hours instead of three because it was a challenge to make the small intestine reach where it had to go. I'm an electronic tech, and don't know what I'll find until i get in there and look.

Hang in there, many very successful sleeves on here! Dees, Aviator, Jolls, and Rxmom at the top of my list, and I know I'm missing a few.

Me too. 50 lbs in 19 weeks.

Only 16 pounds to goal