How do you eat egg/ham/chicken/tuna salad?

It seems my doc doesn't want me to eat crackers even though they're on the Phase 4 lists, apparently because they're a "slippery slope" kind of food. So I'm not really sure what to eat my egg salad with (or tuna, chicken, ham salads). I thought maybe a lettuce wrap but I can't have lettuce yet.

How do you eat yours at whatever stage you are now, and at my stage if you remember?

I am still way pre-op but I have always eaten mine with a fork, not on or with anything else. I never even thought of using a cracker. I guess I have had chicken salad on a sandwich but I also eat it on a plate with a fork.

I'm another one who uses a fork but further other, I added chopped celery, apple and scallions etc.  Lettuce doesn't exactly have much going for it.  I also like using chicory as a little boat:   Chicory

Big tip nightlady - make your own.  Apart from not knowing what goes into the store bought stuff, they don't use low or fat free mayo.

Hellmann's Mayo has 90 calories and 10g fat per level tablespoon.  I had some quality time in the bathroom over that stuff.  Not something I'd recommend.

I use whole grain Akmak crackers for cheese, cottage cheese, hummus, tuna, or whatever. The stuff I put on the crackers is slippery, not the other way around.  ;)

The food is on your list, the doc's argument makes no sense.

I just eat mine with a fork.  I've had a few gold fish crackers here and there since surgery, but I removed them from the house when I caught myself going back 'for a few more".  I would probably do the same thing with saltines since previously I'd make a meal out of a pack of crackers and ham and cheese!  

I just eat mine with a fork.  I've had a few gold fish crackers here and there since surgery, but I removed them from the house when I caught myself going back 'for a few more".  I would probably do the same thing with saltines since previously I'd make a meal out of a pack of crackers and ham and cheese!

Better to stick with whole grain, it's more filling and has a bit of protein in it. I used to eat whole tubes of saltines with peanut butter when I was a teenager. Didn't have a weight problem then. Now I could eat about two crackers. That's a good thing!

Each of us has our own "slippery slope" foods. It is important to be very aware of our bodies and VERY honest with ourselves about which foods we can incorporate back into our diets and still be successful (short and long term.) Crackers are a very very slippery slope for me (like crack! -- not that crack is a slippery slope for me... I can handle my crack... Just kidding, no crack or crackers in my house. But I imagine I could handle crack better than I handle crackers :P) Anyway, even though crackers are on my surgeon's "approved in moderation" list, they are NOT on mine!

As others have suggested, when you are cleared for it, lettuce as a wrap makes things easier in public (but not iceberg-- no nutritional value there. I like green leaf and red leaf lettuce the best. Romaine tends to be too chewy.) and cucumbers offer a nice crunch. But, in general I am a fork girl. Especially early out when all you can eat is a couple of tablespoons, the cracker just takes up too much room in the pouch.

As Cinwa warned, DEFINITELY best to make your own until you are very comfortable with your response to things. I actually enjoy a small amount of full fat mayo with no trouble and no problem with weight control. But it's amazing how many restaurants add SUGAR to their egg/tuna/ham/shrimp/chicken (am I missing any?) salad. And, unless I have already checked the nutrition facts of a consistent, well-known restaurant chain, then assurance from servers, cashiers and even the chefs isn't worth the risk for me.

Better to stick with whole grain, it's more filling and has a bit of protein in it. I used to eat whole tubes of saltines with peanut butter when I was a teenager. Didn't have a weight problem then. Now I could eat about two crackers. That's a good thing!

Stop it! You're killing me... LOL. Not much makes me miss those good ole days of eating bad for you foods, but peanut butter and crackers (mine were Ritz) brings up such a sense of nostalgia. I can practically taste them right now:) Sigh...

I'll have to admit though, my taste preferences now are so different that I am usually very disappointed when I actually do taste an old favorite. I usually get more pleasure from the memory or the smell. "That's a good thing!" LOL

Thanks all, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some bariatric salad secret while I'm over here with just my fork! ;)

Fork here, as well as celery, lettuce wrap or red pepper strip. Lots of options.

I use multigrain flatbread with flax from Aldi's.  Just went back to MFP to check, since I'm on softs right now due to revision surgery. Half a slice and a quarter cup of egg or ham salad is a meal for me. 50 calories, 9 carbs and 5 g of protein for a half slice.  

I'll have to admit though, my taste preferences now are so different that I am usually very disappointed when I actually do taste an old favorite. I usually get more pleasure from the memory or the smell. "That's a good thing!" LOL

Exactly the same feeling for me! I hope the reality of the way I feel now never goes away. It still doesn't make any sense to me WHY my tastes have changed, but I'm happy they have.

Exactly the same feeling for me! I hope the reality of the way I feel now never goes away. It still doesn't make any sense to me WHY my tastes have changed, but I'm happy they have.

OMG!!! I thought it was just me!

I was camping this weekend and my husband and son had a bag of hostess donettes... the chocolate covered ones. I remember how great they tasted and decided to give one a try. Well one tiny nibble and it tasted like paste to me. GROSS!!! I should have just lived with the memory :wacko: Glad my taste buds changed, It would have been bad to eat anyway!

My go to for salads is usually a fork. I do like cucumber rounds as well though. :)

Always have used a fork, but if you want some bite I love gherkins and red cabbage with mine. May be my crazy taste is great to me! Adds a little bite! Yum

Also, pork rinds are a good "delivery vehicle" for these kinds of salads.  Not everyone likes them, but they have zero carbs (most flavors) and a good crunch.

Thanks for the ideas! I mixed some tuna with salsa today... all I needed was a fork. It was fantastic, imo ;)

Very slowly.  Just made the newbie mistake of eating while distracted - ate too fast and didn't "pause and reflect" halfway through to determine fullness. The "Agh, This Hurts!!"
sneaked up on me. Buh bye, egg salad on flatbread.

My ability to eat solids has been so sporadic since my initial surgery that I've never really ingrained the eating habits most people have by now. Lesson learned.

To rerail my thread derail - I love the cucumber idea. I will try that tomorrow night, assuming that egg salad no longer freaks me out. We are not friends at the moment.

• 6 years later...

Im 5 weeks out.

I eat egg salad with 5 eggs 2 tbsp light mayo 1 tbsp mustard and tapatio. 

Makes enough to last me 4 or five days and keeps me full long and has alot of protein like 9 grams 

2 hours ago, PostopAshlyn said:

Im 5 weeks out.

I eat egg salad with 5 eggs 2 tbsp light mayo 1 tbsp mustard and tapatio. 

Makes enough to last me 4 or five days and keeps me full long and has alot of protein like 9 grams 

9g of protien isn't really a lot for one meal, but you're only 5 weeks out from surgery so it's pretty good for you. You really need to be looking for around 90g of protien daily spread throughout your three meals and snacks. Just bear that in mind and make sure you're getting liquid protien at this stage until you are able to eat more. Protien is the most vital thing your body needs right now.