JeanRo

Goal weight?

Looking for some guidance on this.  I set my personal goal weight at 150 and I'm 5'8 and very large boned and broad shouldered.  I'm looking at other people that are similar in height and their goals and I think mine might be too low.  I want to strive for it but I don't want to set myself up for failure.

I spoke to my surgeon about it and he was kind of wishy-washy about an exact number.  He finally told me 170.  He told me he'd be thrilled if I got to 150 but he thought it was too low for my height and body type.

Anyone else out there that's struggling with this?  I know that it's just a number and I need to get over that but I've had that 150 in my head FOREVER!

Thanks in advance!

I don't have an answer because I feel the same way. I put my goal weight as 165 but I will be happy with anything under 200. I'm tall, very large framed, and I'm scared that I won't ever be "thin". Our pre op stats are similar. I noticed you've already lost a ton of weight. Did you lose all that post op? You're doing great!

I set a goal weight, but I'm mainly concerned with my goal body....I know exactly what I want to look like, and it's around a size 6, and I want my body to look fit...firm legs, butt, arms...and ideally a flat stomach, but I've got to see how much excess skin I have there :(.   

I honestly don't know how the above correlates into pounds, but my real goal is that body, not the number I picked.   

I went by sizing- there are differences between the various countries! Aiming for 12 top 14 bottom Australian

Womenswear

Clothing - Single Size Conversion UK  4     6  8   10   12  14  16  18   20   22   24   26
                                           European  32  34  36  38  40  42   44  46   48   50   52   54
                                                      US   1    2   4    6    8   10   12  14   16   18    20   22
                                             Australia   4    6   8   10  12  14   16  18   20   22   24    26

Edited by Kazkaren

I didn't have my WLS until I was 52 1/2 and with a 35+ year documented history of being obese, I had no idea of what would be a good weight for me.  So!  I decided I did not want a goal number and my surgeon never gave me one.

I chose to get to the "normal" BMI range for my height and take it from there and see where I felt best.  At 5'5", 115 to 150lb is a wide spread but it turns out that I have a small frame (so much for me telling everyone for years that I was big boned!  LOL!).

It is difficult getting an actual figure out of our head but for me, it was the better way to go.  There's no one one-weight-fits-all - charts are just a guideline.

I picked my "goal" weight as the highest weight I could be in the "healthy/normal range (128)" for my height (5 foot)

That being said, not ONE SINGLE PERSON thinks I should weigh 128 pds including ALL of my doctors, family & friends.

I went to a small gathering yesterday with people who hadn't seen me since surgery & everyone was amazed at how I looked NOW (after losing 53+ pds).  When I mentioned that I "could" lose 50 MORE, they were astounded, saying NO WAY!!  (I have to admit when I look at myself & try imagine 50 MORE pds gone, I can't!)

There is a part of me that feels "I had SURGERY people!!  I let them PERMENANTLY REMOVE a large portion of my stomach & change my life forever!!"

I didn't do this to STILL BE OVERWEIGHT & UNHEALTHY.  So yeah, I want to be a normal, healthy weight~ for the sake of "numbers".

There is the OTHER part of me that remembers that I am 53 years old, NOT 23 and the NUMBER on the scale is in NO way a reflection of my health.  I was considered "FIT FAT" prior to surgery~ morbidly obese, yet healthy!

SO, the best path for me right now is to NOT focus on the end of the journey but the "journey" itself!

Yep- enjoy he journey! I think it's really important!!

Looking for some guidance on this.  I set my personal goal weight at 150 and I'm 5'8 and very large boned and broad shouldered.  I'm looking at other people that are similar in height and their goals and I think mine might be too low.  I want to strive for it but I don't want to set myself up for failure.

I spoke to my surgeon about it and he was kind of wishy-washy about an exact number.  He finally told me 170.  He told me he'd be thrilled if I got to 150 but he thought it was too low for my height and body type.

Anyone else out there that's struggling with this?  I know that it's just a number and I need to get over that but I've had that 150 in my head FOREVER!

Thanks in advance!

First things first - shoutout to a fellow MainLiner!! :)

I too have trouble with goal setting. I have always been very heavy, and I have no idea what any of these lower weights might look like on me! I picked 150 because it seemed like a dream - half my pre op weight? Crazy! But now, 1 month post op and 30 lbs down, it's starting to sink in that maybe, just maybe, it could happen!

All you post op people are so inspirational - I'm loving this forum!

I struggle with the number concept as well.  Being under 200 lbs, no longer having diabetes/sleep apnea and not wearing plus size clothes was my initial goal pre-op.  I've now blown two of those goals out of the water, and I'll be under 200 soon.  I picked 170 initially and it sounded too low.  I find that funny now.  I dropped it to 140, but I've gotten further and further from the concept of a number.  My goals are now to weigh less than my husband (180 lbs), be strong and to be able to run 5ks.  Period.  No size or weight in mind anymore.  As long as I can do those things, I don't care about the numbers.  

My surgeon never set a goal for me.  I set it at 150 and have reached that, but what was more important to me was to wear a size 10.  I passed that and am in 6 and 8s now.  I just needed to feel good mainly.  However, I have found that I still would like to lose 10 more pounds to give me a little wiggle room.  I'm just hoping after losing 10, then I don't think to myself "oh 10 more would be great".   I'm finding that I keep moving my goals.  

It's very important to pick a goal that makes YOU happy, and that is healthy and "easy" to maintain.

Don't worry about everyone else, do what is right for you and what feels and looks good.

Go for 150 and then adjust if you want to as you get closer. We have similar builds and I'm going for 170 but may change my mind to be higher or lower once I get there.

First things first - shoutout to a fellow MainLiner!! :)

I too have trouble with goal setting. I have always been very heavy, and I have no idea what any of these lower weights might look like on me! I picked 150 because it seemed like a dream - half my pre op weight? Crazy! But now, 1 month post op and 30 lbs down, it's starting to sink in that maybe, just maybe, it could happen!

All you post op people are so inspirational - I'm loving this forum!

Hey HannahDiebold!!

We are practically neighbors!!  I actually live out in Chester County but had my surgery at Bryn Mawr.  We are almost identical in all of our stats. We'll keep each other motivated!  You're doing great!!  Keep it up!!

Jean

Go for 150 and then adjust if you want to as you get closer. We have similar builds and I'm going for 170 but may change my mind to be higher or lower once I get there.

Stephtay - we are almost spot on with our numbers!  I'm going to keep it at 150 for now and then decide as I get closer.

Thanks to all of you for your input!!

Jean

I'm 5'10 my goal is to get down to 180. Before I gained all my weight I was happy at 180 and I was a size 10.

I don't have an answer because I feel the same way. I put my goal weight as 165 but I will be happy with anything under 200. I'm tall, very large framed, and I'm scared that I won't ever be "thin". Our pre op stats are similar. I noticed you've already lost a ton of weight. Did you lose all that post op? You're doing great!

Brooke Danielle - We do have very similar numbers pre-op.  I was 301 at my heaviest.  I can't remember my SW (I think about 175) so I've lost almost 70 lbs since December 31st.

You're two inches taller than I am so 165 would be really thin for you!  I also worry that I won't be thin but when I tell people hat I still want to lose 50+ more lbs they think I'm nuts but believe me, it's there.  I just decided that I'm not going to beat myself up about it. When I get to a weight that I'm comfortable, I think I'll know it (although I look in the mirror and still see the fat me - sad but true...)

I'm just a hair under 5'7" and was originally aiming for 140, but really anything under 160 will probably work as long as I build more muscle. I don't want to be a jiggly 160! My nut thought 140 would be too low for me, and I'd be happier in the 150's...I'm getting close!

I set my goal weight at 175 - Healthy BMI and attainable for me at 5' 11".

When I reached that I realized I was selling myself short by not going for it and getting into the middle of the healthy BMI range. I am large to mid frame, and yes, some of my bones poke out a little now.

People who haven't seen me in a while freak out because the are used to "fat April" and this new thin and healthy April really blows their minds.

Do what is right for you, but don't sell yourself short, you may be surprised what you can accomplish.

I set my goal at 175 because I was afraid of failure. I am not afraid anymore :)

My PCP set my goal, not GB dr. He would never give me a goal. So weird! PCP said that I should ge back to my weight when I was 21, which was 135 and then settle in around 150 because everyone gains some back.

The lowest I go to was 158 and I gained a few back up to 163. The dr says that I am probably not going to lose much more without MAJOR effort, which I will not do. lol. I am comfortable at this weight although not reaching my goal upsets me sometimes.

I am focusing on health and muscles at this point. I need to tone up what's left. I am off the scale for awhile. I need a break.

this has been on my mind lately b/c I just went for my 6 month check up w/ the surgeon's PA last week.  She told me that the surgery has been a success from their perspective b/c they look for a weight loss of 100 lbs or a BMI under 35.  I will feel like it's a success when I have kept a significant amount of weight off for 5 years, but that's just me :)

She said it's really up to me and my preference in terms of how much more weight I want to lose.  My nutritionist has told me that it's normal to regain 10% of your weight lost so I feel like I need to make my goal lower to take that into account....

I really don't have a goal weight in mind either.  I put 130 thinking that if I could normalize at 145-150 I would be happy.  As it is now at 165, I can wear a size 10/Medium...in most brands.   I am very happy overall but I believe I can still lose more so I want to try to go below that.  

I went by sizing- there are differences between the various countries! Aiming for 12 top 14 bottom Australian

Womenswear

Clothing - Single Size Conversion UK  4     6  8   10   12  14  16  18   20   22   24   26
                                           European  32  34  36  38  40  42   44  46   48   50   52   54
                                                      US   1    2   4    6    8   10   12  14   16   18    20   22
                                             Australia   4    6   8   10  12  14   16  18   20   22   24    26

Looks like australia and the UK didn't fall in to the vanity sizing trap!  Good for them.