ccma

Coffee as liquid

How do the other coffee drinkers count regular coffee?  I have heard everything from counting half the amount towards liquid to making sure you drink the entire amount as extra in water.  What about decaf?  Generally I count decaf towards liquids and don't count regular coffee towards my liquid intake at all. 

I only drink decaf and count it towards liquids. I think caffeine adds to dehydration. Not sure on that one. I like my decaf cold in fridge with a little milk and Splenda.

I don't have anything to add.. I just want to subscribe to the thread.. I LOVE coffee.. and I'm worried that I won't be able to drink it after surgery... because of the acidity...

anyway.. don't mind me.. I'm just following along.. :)

I only drink decaf and count it towards liquids. I think caffeine adds to dehydration. Not sure on that one. I like my decaf cold in fridge with a little milk and Splenda.

Me too! I make about 3 days worth at a time and put it in a pitcher in the fridge. I then pour it in my tumbler over ice, Splenda and half and half. I am hoping I can add protein powder post-op for my breakfast.

Have you ever added protein powder to yours?

Under my surgeons plan, decaf can count towards fluid but coffee cannot, and is therefore not allowed in the first six months. After you are able to get in more than 64 fl oz, you can drink some coffee (though some doctors say that it may lead to ulcers.)

I drink decaf in the morning mixed with milk and protein and I do count it towards my liquid (and protein) goals for the day.

I finally did the protein powder thing the other day with my coffee..it was soo good! I was surprised..it actually made it taste creamier. Yeah, I like a little coffee with my sugar and cream ;) trying to cut back on those.

My husband just switched over to iced as well. I do a cup of the real stuff in the morning then a cup of decaf in the evening. Guess it would be wise to switch to only decaf!

does tea count the same as well - not count as a liquid?  I didn't drink coffee or tea early post op, and now I get plenty of fluids, but I am especiallysusceptible to dehydration.  I just recently discovered and love a sugar free chai latte - so that is milk and caffiene I guess rather than tea per se.

I put an instant coffee flavoring package into a 16 oz bottle of water -- I count it as water.

I have located the BEST iced coffee.  I add 1 oz of the concentrated coffee with 8 ounces of milk.  Coolbrew.com

I finally did the protein powder thing the other day with my coffee..it was soo good! I was surprised..it actually made it taste creamier. Yeah, I like a little coffee with my sugar and cream ;) trying to cut back on those.

Lol, I thought I was the only one who used that expression (a little coffee with my c/s). 

If you love the flavor, put instant decaf in your chocolate protein shake.  Yummy!

I count decaf but not regular coffee or tea.

3 days post opt I made my decaf coffee and when I took a drink it was terrible. I made some last night and it was good. I guess I had to get my taste back for coffee almost 3 months out.

Me too! I make about 3 days worth at a time and put it in a pitcher in the fridge. I then pour it in my tumbler over ice, Splenda and half and half. I am hoping I can add protein powder post-op for my breakfast.

Have you ever added protein powder to yours?

Yep, I've added syntrax cappuccino to it when it's been cold, no problems. There is a way to make a slurry with the protein powder then add warm water then maybe microwave for hot but I have not tried it that way. I keep a shaker bottle of decaf with milk and Splenda in the fridge.

my surgeon told me that caffeinated coffee is a appetite stimulant.  I disagree with that all together, maybe soda or monster drinks would be but the more coffee I drink the less I want to eat.  Therefore I have coffee as often as I can.  Right after surgery I was on decaf only. I used instant in my shakes.  I slowly introduced caffeine into a half and half cup and now am on full reg coffee.  I count it toward my liquid intake but not sure that I should because the caffeine does dehydrate you more.  I do it though so I can feel better about my liquid intake.  I still struggle to meet the full required amount.  That being said, I only drink one cup a day as apposed to the 5 cups I used to drink pre-op and the occasional trip to Starbucks and the instant (decaf) in my shake of course. 

According to my NUT any liquid that does not have caffein can be counted as a liquid.  Of course carbonation should be avoided.

I have located the BEST iced coffee. I add 1 oz of the concentrated coffee with 8 ounces of milk. Coolbrew.com

yes! We had coolbrew last summer, love it! We are about 50mi from new orleans so we can pick it up at grocery stores. Good stuff!