Debz

Old Rny'er new Overstitch

I posted this on the welcome forum, but wanted to post it here as well. Thanks!

Hi. I have belonged to this forum for several years, and haven't posted in many. I regained almost all of my weight starting in about 2009. I've known I had a gastro-gastric fistula (Which I'll go ahead and call a GGF) for 2 years, although, I suspected it before it was diagnosed. My symptoms were weight gain, and an inability to maintain satiety. I would eat, and ten minutes later, be hungry again. Anything I ate would leak over into my old stomach.  It was also painful to eat the normal gastric bypass diet, and I found myself slipping to soft foods.

My insurance at the time would not cover revision, or even address my GGF, so I walked around in constant pain for a long time. I even considered going to Mexico for repair. But this January, I became eligible for a new insurance, and they cover revision. I saw a very competent bariatric surgeon in my area, who said that surgery was possible, but carried a lot of risks for me. (Adhesions due to other abdominal surgeries, and possible leakage.) 

He and I together decided to try the Apollo Overstitch procedure. It's done by endoscopy. He said he has about a 50% success rate with it. 50% to not have major surgery sounded like good odds to me. They stitched my fistula closed...I actually had two fistulas. I was home the evening of the procedure with very little discomfort. He said that my pouch looked good, and that my anastomosis was not stretched.

I reached the end of the internet reading on the Overstitch apparatus. I know that it hasn't had a lot of success in repairing stretched anastomoses, but better success with fistulas I am now on a week long liquid diet, to be followed by pureed diet after that. . I can eat about 4 oz of SF jello, and feel full. Just wanted to pop my head up and ask for support as I make this new step on an old journey. 

Wow Debz, what an amazing story. I can't believe you hung on so long with your difficulties. I'm so glad you have been given a chance to regain your health.

It really does seem like the outlook is good for you! How pleased you must have been to fill satiety once again after only 4oz of jello.

Good luck!

congratulations on not giving up on yourself!  Good luck, sounds like you are off to a good start on this next leg of the journey to health ;)

I am freaking starving. I have to do liquids for a week and then pureed for an indeterminate amount of time. My 4 ounce pouch is hungry! I hate people who can eat. Well...sort of.

Congratulations on rejoining us on the Loser's Bench! :)  I've got my fingers and toes crossed that you're one of the 50% that the Overstitch is a success for! 

Thank you, Birdie. Saw my doc today for my post op. Down 15 since the procedure. He told me I could increase the amount of pureed I'm eating to 6 oz, but I've been doing 1/3 of a cup, so I just had 1/2 a cup of pureed lentil soup. (The bomb, BTW.) I'm full, but my heart is racing. The lentil soup has only 3 grams of sugar per serving, and I ate only half a serving. Hoping that when I get to solids, that won't happen anymore.

Sad to report that the Overstitch didn't work and my fistula is back from the dead. Paperwork submitted to insurance company to revise to DS. 

Debz, so sorry the stitch didn't work. I am hopeful that you will have your surgery soon. Keep us posted on your health situation and keep your chin up, all will work out and you will join us on the losers bench again.

So sorry it didn't work. Wishing you good Luck with your process.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Good luck with the DS

The DS will give you the results that you seek and a better long-term result.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:20 PM, Jeners1234 said:

Did you have the DS? I’m talking with UCLA about the overstitch. 

Results with the overstitch are really poor. From memory it's only around 10% weightloss. If that's all you've regained then it might be an okay solution for you, but rarely are folk looking at revisional procedures for such a low weightloss expectation. I'd seriously suggest you look at some of the longer term research studies before agreeing to the overstich procedure.