Lynne1970

Diabetes Medications - Not needed anymore?

I have a question and I am hoping somebody has the answer:

I have Type II diabetes. I was diagnosed back in 2011 and my weight at that time was 287lbs. Take two pills a day. I am telling on myself here but believe me when I say that I carried on my life as if there was no difference. I ate everything that I was not supposed to with the belief that the medication would take care of it. Crazy I know, but that is the way that my mind worked. My sugars were all across the board. The highest I ever tested was almost 600 where my doctor almost admitted me into the hospital. I had double vision, extreme thirst, infections, and all the other symptoms associated with having sugars so high. I now know how lucky I am not to have gone into a diabetic coma. I am lucky to be alive.

With that being said, before my surgery, my sugars were still a little out of whack. I also take medication for high cholesterol.

So knowing how out of control my diabetes was, can someone explain to me why the hospital did not give me any of my medication as my sugars are level and have been since the surgery. I have had no blood sugar drops. In fact, it is like my body does not have diabetes anymore!!!!! What is up with that? No cholesterol medication either.......

Has anybody else experienced the same situation? Is this normal?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,

Some people who have weight loss surgery have a second effect of thier diabetes going into remission.

Mine has not yet but I am hoping for it still.

I had diabetes that was out of control before surgery as well -- not apparently as extreme as yours, but I was taking 4 pills a day and an injection once a week.  I took high blood pressure, diuretic, and cholesterol  drugs.

When I started the pre-op diet I dropped the injection.  After surgery I left the hospital with NO medications except the fluoxetine that I take at a reduced amount now.

When the endocrinologist told me that gastric bypass would resolve my diabetes, I was doubtful.  But I'm this far out and my blood sugar is fine.  Now, needless to say it makes a MAJOR difference that I have had no sugar, no white flour, no JUNK since surgery -- so I think its a combination of change in diet as well as the surgery.

Not everyone has these results, but a lot of people do.  REJOICE!

I agree with WorkinProgress.  The surgery is not magic.  What we are eating is!  A woman I went to high school with just had WLS and her Mother lives across the street from mine.  My Mother said the other day, "she is already off all meds! How is that possible?".  My response was, she's not eating all that crap anymore!!  Seems my Mother has forgotten my journey already.  My family has gotten so used to me NOW, its like the old me never existed, but that's a whole other post!

I had my surgery Nov 2012.  Before that I had been a diabetic for over 20 years.  I was on an insulin pump and I did let it cover what ever I wanted to eat.  I also took many different type of oral meds.  Long story short, I was off the pump on the pre-op diet and now barely need the last of the oral meds.  That was my ultimate goal.

Once a diabetic, always a diabetic.  BUT it can go into remission.  Whenever I hear someone say they are no longer a diabetic I say....Drink a real Coke and test your bloodsugar in an hour and then tell me you are no longer a diabetic.  ;)

Thank you for your input. It makes a lot of sense. I thought diet had something to do with it but just needed a second opinion. very glad to be off the meds.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!

I was diagnosed as a type 2 Diabetic in 2005. My A1C prior to surgery was 8.1. I left the hospital off 9 pills (combo diabetic and blood pressure and 2 injections per day). To my dismay, I still was on one daily dose of insulin (a fraction of what I used to take) I took that until a couple of weeks ago, and now I am off ALL meds except for Synthroid (My thyroid has been removed and I still can't resolve the hypothyroidism)and a compound cream for the neuropathy in my feet. I had the surgery for the Diabetes. Right now my blood sugars are normal. My A1C in March was 6.9. At 4 months out I consider it a success. The weight loss is just a sweet bonus :)

Edited by azibclc

I believe the research for gastric bypass is doctors don't quite understand why type 2 diabetes disappears. I had fasted (stupid way to diet) many times prior to surgery but it didn't effect my sugar levels the way 2 days after WLS did.

Before surgery I was on 6 pills a day for diabetes, then the pills for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetic, another to protect my kidneys from the diabetes; 18 pills in all. I now take only one and that's even lower for thyroid. My dr. Wasn't sure if my diabetes would go into remission since I'd been diabetic 18 years. I had surgery on a wed., went home with insulin on a Friday with instructions to decrease it by 5 units every couple of days. I struggled the first weekend to keep my blood sugars up to normal, so that Monday my diabetic coordinator took me off all blood sugar meds. Now it tends to run a little low; I keep the chewable glucose tablets with me. Good luck with your new journey!

I changed nothing and had no pre-op diet.  My diabetes was gone when I left the hospital.  Cholesterol was in normal levels (after being 500 day of surgery) at my 1 month checkup.  I feel like it has to do with the re-routing of the intestines and/or most of the enzymes and/or hormones in the stomach being held in captivity and not released into the small intestines.  2 years 4 months later, my sugars and cholesterol levels are still normal and I'm back eating a regular diet, with far lesser quantities.

I may wind up back on a low dose blood pressure med, but not for any reason other than age - or maybe the fact that I get white coat syndrome!  It usually runs a little higher at the doctors office.

Just wanted to add to this thread -- my A1C yesterday was 4.2 -- before surgery it was over 8 all the time...