Giant77

A big hi from a BIG guy

I lost 135 pounds ~20 years ago and it took me ~20 years to gain it back, despite repeated attempts to stop the gain. I know for certain I couldn't have done it this time without WLS.

@Aviator: how long is considered a "short term having diabetes", I was diagnosed 2 years back and stupidly enough I chose not to take meds.

@Planet: I agree. Same with me, with strict diet I had lost 24 lbs in one month, lost focus and gained 30 lbs very soon.

I believe the time on this particular study was 5 years or less.  Our moderator, cinwa, found and posted it.   It is buried in these pages somewhere.  My wife is a bariatric physician and showed me a similar report.  Dont beat yourself up about what you did or didn't do in the past.  You can't change that.  Just take the steps to make changes in the present, so you can live a thinner, healthier, and diabetes free future.

Almost everyone who loses weight on their own gains it back.  Like 95%.  Absent WLS, obesity is as close to an incurable disease as there is.  You're good Bro.  Don't stress.  Focus on the solution.  Be tenacious.  And execute.

Visit Aviator's Log Book and check out the before and after photos that I just posted.   If I can do it, you can do it.  Promise.

Edited by Aviator

On my doctor's website it states that if you have a 100 pounds to lose, the success rate for losing it and keeping it off with diet and exercise is 5%. Jen

Wow! Thats interesting to know. Thanks for sharing the info. 

@Aviator: I will visit your blog tonight and thanks again for the suggestions/advises. 

I am heading back to the hospital on June 10th for sleep apnea tests and still waiting on the endocrinology appointment.

Well, I wasn't going to post here since everybody has already said pretty much what I was going to say. That is, it is your decision. Make it with your doctor. I chose bypass because I had had diabetes for about 10 years and was on 2 medications and still had an A1c over 10. I was also on meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. I left the hospital prescription free and haven't looked back since. My fasting blood sugar is now anywhere between 70 and 100. Then I read your question about thinking I could do it myself after losing weight preop. I snorted out loud--at myself, not at you, and thought I would share this:

I lost weight gradually over the six month prep period, not on doctor's orders but just in an effort to get ready. I then hit the two week pre-op diet and HATED it. Never went off it, not even on Thanksgiving, when I sat at the table with my protein bar while the others did the Thanksgiving stuffing of themselves. But here's what I wanted to share: One night during the two week period I was particularly miserable and thought to myself--if I could do this, I wouldn't need the flippin' surgery. And then I thought, well, I am doing this, maybe I won't get the surgery and continue on this. Then I thought--and here's the kicker--yeah, if I choose to do this and not get the surgery, I could eat (I forget what--just fill in the blank!) tonight and start again tomorrow or even Monday. No problem. The alarm bells went off--I have exhibited this type of thinking my whole dieting life. I lost a lot of weight after my daughter was born, kept it off a couple of years, and then gained right past my highest pregnancy weight, all with the mindset, "I'll eat this tonight, and start my diet again tomorrow." So the answer to your question by me is, Yes, I thought it and then realized what a joke it was--for me.

Good luck with your decision. You and your doctor will do what is right for you. And you will get all the support we can give you no matter your decision.

@Molly: Thanks for sharing your experience. All I can say is that been there and done that - breaking the diet, commit gluttony(my case) and always postponing restarting the diet :D!

Welcome from one big guy to another.

Hi: 

Today I met with my NUT as she wanted to see how I was doing with my diet (I need to reduce 60lbs before surgery). I went cold turkey, after the initial consultation, w.r.t. eating. I eat 105g of protein daily, drink 250 oz water, 1 slice of wheat bread at each meal, fill rest of the plate with raw veggies/fruits and absolutely using no salt. I lost 16lbs in 2 weeks now (44lbs more to go). Going to start with a 30min brisk walking from tomorrow. Hopefully, by the time I meet my RN and NUT again in 2 weeks the loss continues. I have my sleep apnea and appointment with endo guy sometime in June.

I have not been prescribed any diabetes medication, yet, but I am checking the levels 4 times a day and so far its been within the range. Does this make sense given that my HbA1C was 8.3 2 weeks ago? Thanks again for the read and your warm welcome!

Just out of curiosity, once you guys lost weight getting ready for surgery, did any of you change your mind thinking "if I can loose weight this way, maybe surgery can be avoided?".

Nope, not once. It took me almost 6 months to lose barely 25lbs. I knew at that rate I was going to get worse before I got better.  :)

No surgery cures diabetes. Your diabetes may go into remission after the bypass or the sleeve, but could also come back if you regain weight or go back to unhealthy eating habits.

Just out of curiosity, once you guys lost weight getting ready for surgery, did any of you change your mind thinking "if I can loose weight this way, maybe surgery can be avoided?".

I thought I responded to this, but I can't find it.  So to answer your question...

NO way, no how, NEVER!  I knew I needed something drastic to get this done the right way for me.  I did lose 42 lbs in 7 months prior to surgery, but I cheated, ate things I shouldn't have, did not exercise anywhere as much as I needed to, and I could go on and on.  

It took this drastic measure to get my head out of my a$$ and wake up to see what I was doing to myself and stop my spiral into an early death.

Hi: 

Today I met with my NUT as she wanted to see how I was doing with my diet (I need to reduce 60lbs before surgery). I went cold turkey, after the initial consultation, w.r.t. eating. I eat 105g of protein daily, drink 250 oz water, 1 slice of wheat bread at each meal, fill rest of the plate with raw veggies/fruits and absolutely using no salt. I lost 16lbs in 2 weeks now (44lbs more to go). Going to start with a 30min brisk walking from tomorrow. Hopefully, by the time I meet my RN and NUT again in 2 weeks the loss continues. I have my sleep apnea and appointment with endo guy sometime in June.

I have not been prescribed any diabetes medication, yet, but I am checking the levels 4 times a day and so far its been within the range. Does this make sense given that my HbA1C was 8.3 2 weeks ago? Thanks again for the read and your warm welcome!

Sounds like you're doing really well and that your diabetes is responding well to diet. Add in the walking and you will be a pre-op rock star! I think your determination and effort makes your prognosis for WLS success an excellent one! 

Hi Folks:

Sorry for bumping the thread again. I had nothing new to add, hence went into lurking mode again :). During the past 2 months, I have lost 30 lbs, my A1C has dropped from 8.3 to 6.7, was diagnosed as having severe sleep apnea (waiting to meet the Pulmonologist  and get on CPAP machine). Loving the 30lbs less of me, have more energy to play with kiddo, no longer sweating doing nothing, put on my clothes and see it is a bit big for me now and jogging on the treadmill for 10 mins at a stretch on  3.5 incline :).

Anywhoo, I met with my surgeon this morning and he basically gave me the choice and I opted for Sleeve. I should be getting a surgery date in a day or so. I am hoping for an early September date. Nothing more to add, but just that I am looking forward to the surgery and the new ME :D!

Cheers and hope you all and your family are doing great and more importantly in great health!

Avi.

Edited by Giant77

Best wishes on your journey to a healthier you

Great news Avi-  My sleep apnea went away after losing 60 lbs.  No more problems with it.

Blood pressure is now 98/72, resting heart rate is 62 bpm.  

Get ready to experience a miracle in your life.

Let us know....

Avi, that's great news!  I'm super excited for you.  I wondered why I hadn't seen more posts from you and then I saw this today.  :D

Keep up the good work and keep improving!

Thank you spunky, Aviator and planetdarnoc. Hope you all are doing good. 

Wow! Planetdarnoc, that is one impressive weight loss you have had so far. Truly inspiring! Heartiest congratulations!

Congrats!!!

Hi All:

Thank you so very much for your time and your advises! I have an appointment with NUT next week and NP in a couple of weeks to review how I am doing on my diet and if my BP has come down. Hopefully things fall in place and I am able to undergo the surgery sometime last week of July. I am looking forward talking to my Dr and see what direction he points me to. I will definitely keep you all updated.

PS: Is there any website where I could look find reviews on doctors? Anyone here could share their experiences if they had their surgery at Lahey Burlington, MA? I searched the forum for "Lahey Burlington" and came up with just 2 pretty old threads.

I would HIGHLY recommend my surgeon out of Concord, Massachusetts (Emerson Hospital), they are affiliated with Mass General.  They have an amazing program (Emerson Mass General Weight Loss Program).  His name is Dr. Lautz and he is just brilliant!!!  You can PM if you have any questions, but I love, love, love him and the entire staff!

ETA: Just realized I was reading older info, it seems you already have your date!  Congrats!  And welcome fellow Massachusetts resident!

Edited by amanduhhpage

I would HIGHLY recommend my surgeon out of Concord, Massachusetts (Emerson Hospital), they are affiliated with Mass General.  They have an amazing program (Emerson Mass General Weight Loss Program).  His name is Dr. Lautz and he is just brilliant!!!  You can PM if you have any questions, but I love, love, love him and the entire staff!

ETA: Just realized I was reading older info, it seems you already have your date!  Congrats!  And welcome fellow Massachusetts resident!

Thanks Amanda. Yes, I just got my date yesterday. Lahey Burlington too is rated A+ or Grade A center for Bariatric surgery and I hope it is true :). Congrats on your surgery and weight loss journey! Wishing only the best. Cheers-Avi.

Tomorrow is the day for me :D...honestly, I have no clue what I am feeling right now...confused is a right word I guess...hoping the surgery goes smoothly. Checking in at 11 and being operated around 1PM...looking forward to be on the losers bench.

When your not sleeping tonight read the first pages of Aviator's Log book - the link is in my signature lime below.  I was right where you are now.

May give you some insight as to what to expect.

And don't forget to take your "before" photos.  And weight at home on your personal scale.  it will become your official scale regardless of what the Doc's says.

Thanks Aviator...Surprisingly, I slept quite well. My intention was to read your blog post op :-).....I just cannot believe the day is here already....

Thanks Aviator...Surprisingly, I slept quite well. My intention was to read your blog post op :-).....I just cannot believe the day is here already....

Good luck today.  let us know how your doing when you come up for air.