Giant77

A big hi from a BIG guy

Hi,

I am Avi and am 36 years old. Have been pretty much obese my whole life. Weighed myself after a long time and was shocked to read the numbers-415lbs! I am ashamed that I let myself down this way. Attended the info session on Bariartric surgery at a nearby hospital. I was diagnosed with diabetes and high BP couple of years back and I chose not to take medications, I know I was stupid. Lab work was done during Intial consultation and my A1c came back at 8.3 and I am taking Lisonopril for my BP now. I am waiting to get an appointment with the endocrinologist for my diabetes. My liver is normal. Have started on a diet of 95-105 grams of protein, working out and drinking tons of water. During the consultation, the NP said she would highly suggest I opt for gastric bypass, but I have been reading threads in post-op by pass forum where most of the folks complained about twisted intestine and also, I am not in favor of getting the organs moved. My question is, given the high A1C and BP that I have, can I still go for sleeve and would it help control my diabetes? Your help is highly appreciated and be known that I have been reading each and every thread in this forum since last week and reading you folks weight loss journey is nothing short of being inspirational. I hope to get rid of the big O in the medical community, lead a normal healthy life and watch my 2.5 year old daughter grow.

Thanks for your time and read!

Cheers,

Avi.

Welcome to TT Avi !

I won't lecture you on the merits of sleeve versus bypass.  I will say that I had diabetes and that I chose the bypass.  With the total amount of weight I had to lose and diabetes I thought it was my best choice after doing my research.

Look into the wealth of information here and ask questions.

Best wishes on your journey!

Kind of depends how controllable your diabetes is.  If it is severe or uncontrollable bypass is the better choice in this regard.  A high A1C doesn't mean it isn't controllable though.  Sleeve can also put diabetes into remission - don't get me wrong - there are plenty examples of this here on the forums.  My friend in fact is 2 months post op and she is off her oral, insulin and victosa now with the sleeve.  Bypass has more of a history of putting it into remission -  sleeve at the very least will at least make it a heck of a lot better; if not into remission as well.   I was pre-diabetic (no meds needed) and went with sleeve.  My starting A1C was 5.8 and at my 3 month check up it was 4.6.  I randomly still check my blood and the last few months (I am 14 months post op) it is usually in the 70s.

Edited by Jolls

One thought about not wanting your "organs moved" - getting a sleeve they cut off a huge hunk of your stomach and remove it forever - I've never figured out How that could be Could be considered uninvasive.

But that said - do your homework and make the informed choice as to which is best for You.

Just my thoughts bur from what I was told the only WLS that will work or "cure" Diabetes is the RNY (maybe DS as well not sure),  Talk to your Doctor about it to see what is the best option for you.

This is inaccurate.  Bypass is not the only "cure"  but it IS the higher success rate.   DS is basically the hail mary of diabetes cure options - you do that if you basically have no other choice or wholly uncontrollable out-of-control (in terms of diabetes).  Just talked to my surgeon about that last week actually (cause I was curious why he doesn't do DS).

I don't fine the sleeve evasive because all it is doing is trimming the excess stomach off.  Not re-routing the natural path of the digestive track.  Its my thought/opinion, tis all.

Edited by Jolls

Welcome, I would talk to my doc about the chose. He knows yr history but also look on the web to see the operations. I had the lap band but it doesn't cure diabetes right after surgery but it will come as I loose weight. Good luck to u.

Welcome to TT!! 

This decision is best made by you and your surgeon, but I'll throw in my two cents because frankly I'm Italian and therefore my opinion is the most important (j/k). 

I was around 425 when I started with my Bariatric team. Luckily... other than joint pain and asthma I was relatively healthy. No diabetes or high bp or anything like that. My surgeon and I however decided that gastric bypass was still the best option due to my BMI and age. He felt that I would be more successful with Gastric Bypass than with the sleeve... kind of a "bang for your buck" type conversation to be honest... and since I have a family history of high bp and diabetes his opinion was that it would keep those things at bay as I grew older better than the sleeve. I had the same worries it sounds like you do, about "moving" around my organs and I'd read all the horror stories, but honestly from what I've seen/heard/experienced those horror stories are the exceptions, not the rules.

I am SOOOO glad I agreed with him and went with the bypass. It's been the best decision I've ever made and I wouldn't change it for a second. Good Luck and just listen to your doctor's advice. He/She will know what's best for you.

Welcome to TT and good luck with your journey it's an exciting one! All I can say was my experience. I think both Bypass and sleeve are great. I was informed by my doctor my best option was bypass as I was going down the diabetic path. Had no problems with twists or anything. Was THE bet thing I have ever done (Apart from my daughter). I can 100% honestly say that I have never felt better. I am full of energy, happiness and am in control of my world in what feels like a lifetime. Ok we all have bad days, but having said that I had far more bad days before hand and we are human after all. The bypass all went smoothly. I am also glad I went for the bypass as the sugar thing with the diabetes is controlled and if needing a reminder it is there. It may not be a nice one but for me it keeps me on the correct path.

I have 'Dumped' twice since my op last December. First time was completely by accident and the second time I was just stupid and did not ask the right questions.

Both times I paid the price and I am glad I had consequences, as have been so careful since and myself with the sugar issues, I need the reminder. I look at it as a blessing! I go out loads to eat with work and am very social and lead a very full life, but just watch what I order. I don't have an issue with anything I eat apart from sugar which I don't touch.

This is completely your's and your Doctors decision. I would say read up on everything and do as much homework as possible so you fully know what each one does. My Doctor pushed me in the direction of the bypass as I was looking at the lapband, but my goodness am I glad he did! (Worth every penny).

Do hope all the posts help!

Good luck let us know how you get on Giant. 

Welcome! My Endo referred me for the bypass, my Bariatric doctor and surgeon agreed it was the best option for me. Who am I to disagree, so bypass it is. Good luck, whatever you choose!

Also I'd like to add in when looking at online forums like this -  keep in mind typically the people that come to forums often do so because they are having issues and wanting help.   People don't often seek support forums because everything went perfect- know what I mean?   So its really just a small sampling of complications you are getting a picture of when viewing forums.  Keep that thought in mind as well and don't let the stories scare you.  ALL surgery has risks; even getting your tonsils out.  No WLS is an exception to that.

Edited by Jolls

Also I'd like to add in when looking at online forums like this -  keep in mind typically the people that come to forums often do so because they are having issues and wanting help.   People don't often seek support forums because everything went perfect- know what I mean?   So its really just a small sampling of complications you are getting a picture of when viewing forums.  Keep that thought in mind as well and don't let the stories scare you.  ALL surgery has risks; even getting your tonsils out.  No WLS is an exception to that.

This is true, but in addition, most of the complications from surgery are not permanent debilitating issues. Some are temporary, and others require special attention for the rest of your life. All most every single one wont kill you. However, diabetes and high bp will eventually kill you.

I had some complications that required a hospitalization post op. It frankly sucked, but I am still absolutely happy that I had this surgery.  

Hi All:

Thank you so very much for your time and your advises! I have an appointment with NUT next week and NP in a couple of weeks to review how I am doing on my diet and if my BP has come down. Hopefully things fall in place and I am able to undergo the surgery sometime last week of July. I am looking forward talking to my Dr and see what direction he points me to. I will definitely keep you all updated.

PS: Is there any website where I could look find reviews on doctors? Anyone here could share their experiences if they had their surgery at Lahey Burlington, MA? I searched the forum for "Lahey Burlington" and came up with just 2 pretty old threads.

Edited by Giant77

Welcome!  There are many threads on this topic of which is the "right surgery"

It's a very personal decision, and obviously we all feel strongly about the option we chose.  I opted for bypass because I wanted the most drastic procedure done in terms of restriction and rate of loss.  I know myself and this is what I needed.  Also, I didn't want any part of my stomach removed permanently.

I am thrilled with my choice and reached goal in less than a year.  It is the single best thing I have done for myself.  I know I am healthier and happier, which means I can be a better mom and wife.  This is what it was all about for me.  I was pre-diabetic, and absolutely terrified of having that progress.  This is not a concern anymore, and I have never been healthier or looked better.

Ultimately, you need to figure out what is best for you and your lifestyle.  Either way, a big change has to happen to be successful.

Good luck!

PS - my husband's name is Avi :)

Welcome aboard and I am glad to hear that you are taking control of your life! 

I was pre-diabetic with an A1C of 6.7 at it's highest.  I also had high blood pressure and was heading for a 3rd med to be added on.  I did go for the sleeve because I personally did not want to deal with malabsorption issues.  My surgeon's plan for me was to do sleeve, then convert to bypass.  However, at 6 months post op, I was losing weight at the rate of a slower bypass patient, so there was no need to do the conversion.  The sleeve is working for me and I love it and have no regrets.  However, if my surgeon had felt that the bypass was the better one for me, I would have done it. 

Whatever you decide just remember that both procedures are just tools.  You still have to do the majority of the work to make it work.  If you obey the rules, they both work.  If you don't, they will both fail.

Welcome aboard and I am glad to hear that you are taking control of your life! 

I was pre-diabetic with an A1C of 6.7 at it's highest.  I also had high blood pressure and was heading for a 3rd med to be added on.  I did go for the sleeve because I personally did not want to deal with malabsorption issues.  My surgeon's plan for me was to do sleeve, then convert to bypass.  However, at 6 months post op, I was losing weight at the rate of a slower bypass patient, so there was no need to do the conversion.  The sleeve is working for me and I love it and have no regrets.  However, if my surgeon had felt that the bypass was the better one for me, I would have done it. 

Whatever you decide just remember that both procedures are just tools.  You still have to do the majority of the work to make it work.  If you obey the rules, they both work.  If you don't, they will both fail.

Just noticed that your 1 year surgiversary is this week. Congrats on a great year!

Also I'd like to add in when looking at online forums like this -  keep in mind typically the people that come to forums often do so because they are having issues and wanting help.

And we shouldn't forget that 300k people die from obesity in the US every year.

https://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm

I was just referencing his concern about seeing the horror stories on here -   its just a small sampling and the reason often why people come here in general so should be used as 'good to know' information but also know it isn't a representation of bypass as the whole.

Welcome! I had been diabetic for 10 years before by surgery and it was well controlled with metformin. Since surgery I have not taken one pill! My blood pressure is normal, I took BP medicine for about six weeks after surgery. My surgeon was confident I would get off the meds with the sleeve and I am glad I trusted him! Best wishes on your journey! Jen

Thanks again, you all! @Jolls: I agree with every word you said about the data being very minuscule w.r.t. horror stories associated with G Bypass and not to generalize it. I have an open mind, I think, for both VS and GB and hopefully make a wise decision after talking with the Dr. I need to loose 60 lbs before surgery per RN, so I am working towards that for now by eating healthy and exercising. 

Just out of curiosity, once you guys lost weight getting ready for surgery, did any of you change your mind thinking "if I can loose weight this way, maybe surgery can be avoided?".

This is a post on my surgeons wall "if u could have lost the weight u already would have but u didn't". Best wishes!

LOL! Good one....message received :)!

Just out of curiosity, once you guys lost weight getting ready for surgery, did any of you change your mind thinking "if I can loose weight this way, maybe surgery can be avoided?".

No because I really struggled to lose my pre op weight and it took me much longer than the doctor wanted. If I had lost it very quickly, that thought may have entered my head.

Welcome Avi-

While I'm a little late to this thread, I've read every post and you are getting sage advice. The one thing I can add is some good news for you. While there is no "cure" for diabetes, WLS can and often does, enable a remission. And the good news is that the shorter time you've had it, the better chances are for a remission. And it's true, RNY has a better track record, but lots of VSG folks experience it too.

When I had my sleeve done there was a pervasive argument that somehow you would lose more weight with RNY than with VSG. Over the years, more people have had VSG now and statistically the total pounds lost is now about the same. I'm now well below the average weight a RNY patient can expect. I attribute that to being tenacious about the diet and having a good exercise program.

Both are good procedures and you just need to decide which is best for you. I'm not diabetic (was insulin resistant, but now more) and chose the sleeve. I like rxmom's idea to do VSG first to see if it does the trick, and if not, have it revised to RNY. The malabsorption thing scares me a bit. Later in life I would hate to have osteoporosis or brittle bones due to malabsorbtion of calcium.

I personally lost a ton of weight pre-op.  Of course I had the thought that I can do it without surgery.  Then I recalled all the other times I dieted with exercise.  I had lost 80, 100, 120 pounds and so on in previous diet attempts.  The statistics are just against us in regards to diet and exercise alone.  I am not getting any younger and I want to get married and have a family that I will live to see grow up.  This tool will enable me to not only lose more, but to keep it off.  I believe this is the best decision I ever made for my health.  I know I have to work at it and the tool will not do it by itself.  Sticking to my plan and taking it day by day.

@Aviator: how long is considered a "short term having diabetes", I was diagnosed 2 years back and stupidly enough I chose not to take meds.

@Planet: I agree. Same with me, with strict diet I had lost 24 lbs in one month, lost focus and gained 30 lbs very soon.