TheTimeIsNow

Is the pleasure of eating gone forever and should it be?

Interesting. Slider foods were my downfall with the gastric band, but I cannot eat carbs at all with the bypass-they make me sick, and my weight gets 'stuck' for several days, just with cottage cheese and yogurt. HIgh-carb foods like mashed potatoes caused me to gain three pounds overnight, and I felt a little sick after eating them as well.

As for milkshakes -- real milkshakes, made with ice cream? My erstwhile favorite slider food? LOL. I can't even imagine how my body would react to something like that! It's a bit weird. It's like before bypass, I was in charge of what I put into my body. After bypass, my stomach is dictating what I can and cannot eat -- and my stomach is a strict taskmaster! Such a strict taskmaster, you have no idea. Or, you probably do, on second thought! I've always had a problem with carbs -- my body just does not process them well. But now? Forget it. I'm can eat a couple brussel sprouts or some green beans, so the green veggies are okay, but anything else is problematic. Early days yet, but I don't think it is altogether a bad thing if I just am unable to tolerate carbs at all anymore.

Although, I do SO want a margarita when I reach my goal weight! I haven't had alcohol since I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, and I swear, a strawberry margarita is going to be my reward for reaching my goal weight! The funny thing is that I've never even been a big drinker -- I just have this on my mind all the time -- much like I had brussel sprouts on my mind constantly after my lap band. It's so funny, isn't it, the weird cravings we get with these surgeries?

Some people after bypass have that aversion to carbs either through dumping or hypoglycemia, others don't. I go through mixed feelings about whether I wish I was a dumper. I guess I wished I had mild dumping so that I could eat a little bit of sugar but would dump on too much. This is obviously not in the cards. Good luck, and I hope for your sake that those cravings for carbs don't return.

I will be 7 weeks out of surgery tomorrow and I'm struggling with how unenjoyable eating has become. On my post op diet I am allowed protein (no nuts or beans), cooked vegetables and canned fruit. These options are a bit limiting; however, even if something taste good it is just so unenjoyable to eat. I'm feeling frustrated and trapped. The tiny bites, the chewing until it is a puree in my mouth, and the feelings of fullness a few bites into a meal - the pleasure of eating has been almost entirely removed. 

Has anyone else ever felt this way? If so, how did you cope with it? Has eating become pleasurable again? If it did how are you able to moderate yourself so you do not gain weight?

I felt this exact way. It gets better. I didn't think I would ever enjoy food, or the pleasure of eating again. But you will.

I don't really enjoy eating much either. When I do is when I eat a little too much. I suppose enjoying my food got me to where I am today. At this point I'm accepting the fact that the days when I'd eat for enjoyment are over. It's a fair trade off as far as I'm concerned. I'm not normal in the sense that I can enjoy something and then push myself away from the table. One chip in the bag will drive me crazy. I have to eat them all. Laboring to choke down 2 ounces of tuna is probably about where I belong right now. Even if I despise every bite of food I ever eat again I'll be way ahead of the game

Edited by Wardog

I posted this before but really the most pleasure I get from food these days is from reading recipes and cooking. I have a few bites and I'm done. There are still a few foods I find appealing, but the former pleasure of eating has not returned. It's not that I don't like the food, it's just that it has become utilitarian for the most part. It's fuel, not pleasure. But I'm okay with that. In fact, I think for me it's a good thing.

Enjoying food has changed -- I no longer "enjoy" stuffing myself with any tempting food that falls in front of me.  I no longer look forward to eating out as my prime means of Entertainment.  I make a point of eating only things that I REALLY want, and I make sure they are "good for me"

I never want to go back to that Enjoyment where I fall into a container of ice cream and savor the entire pint.

I have found that I love snow crab legs! They are like the best thing ever! And I love me some sauted veggies!

Nope - I don't enjoy eating anymore.  I think that's okay though - I think it's better for me that food is just for fuel.  My relationship with food has never been a good one. 

Now - - I still enjoy meals with friends and family - - 

Update on this topic. My anniversary was today. We went out (My 1st since surgery) and I ordered a cup of clam chowder. It's delicious there but I found it completely disgusting :-(. The smell and the taste turned my stomach. I managed two bites and covered it with a napkin. Moving on....we went to our local frozen yogurt shop on the beach and I bought 3 ounces of sugar free yogurt. Within 5 minutes I was overheating, sweating and nauseous. Our date was over and I spaced out on the couch for an hour (Did I dump?). I'm fine now but I sincerely hate food. Love the weight loss though and the clarity of mind I get from being I'm charge. Small price to pay. Food turned me into an obese zombie.

Update on this topic. My anniversary was today. We went out (My 1st since surgery) and I ordered a cup of clam chowder. It's delicious there but I found it completely disgusting :-(. The smell and the taste turned my stomach. I managed two bites and covered it with a napkin. Moving on....we went to our local frozen yogurt shop on the beach and I bought 3 ounces of sugar free yogurt. Within 5 minutes I was overheating, sweating and nauseous. Our date was over and I spaced out on the couch for an hour (Did I dump?). I'm fine now but I sincerely hate food. Love the weight loss though and the clarity of mind I get from being I'm charge. Small price to pay. Food turned me into an obese zombie.

Sounds like the evil dump to me. I did it once on apple and peanut butter, but can now do apple and and peanut butter without dumping. You may be able to do SF yogurt farther out. Happy anniversary, by the way! You might hate food, buy you have a lovely wife to love! (BTW--I did order some Creo; had to get on my husband's computer to do it. Somehow creocare.com and my computer don't get along.)

I will be 7 weeks out of surgery tomorrow and I'm struggling with how unenjoyable eating has become. On my post op diet I am allowed protein (no nuts or beans), cooked vegetables and canned fruit. These options are a bit limiting; however, even if something taste good it is just so unenjoyable to eat. I'm feeling frustrated and trapped. The tiny bites, the chewing until it is a puree in my mouth, and the feelings of fullness a few bites into a meal - the pleasure of eating has been almost entirely removed. 

Has anyone else ever felt this way? If so, how did you cope with it? Has eating become pleasurable again? If it did how are you able to moderate yourself so you do not gain weight?

I'm not sure how that diet is limiting at all (I obviously don't know further details like maybe you're only allowed five vegetables or something so far or other strictness issues) but at 7 weeks out you're really healing and adjusting - both physically AND mentally. So a lot can change with time as your body is healed and into it's new normal healthy place and you're into new habits.

I know I still really enjoy food. I just enjoy a smaller amount of it. I'm a bit over two years out and am able to have my favorites, eat the things I did before surgery... Just amount is noticeably different. The bite size, chewing thoroughly (but not to a purée level needed now) is unconscious habit, feeling full faster is just normal and feels the same as when I ate regular size meals.

Basically, after healing and getting time in the new habits, it's just become the unnoticed pattern of normal life. I enjoy eating just as much as before but what feels like normal is just the *new* normal of the post-OP life.

Yes! Halfway through my tiny meal and its cold and I'm not feeling so well. Ugh. 

I would like to have a healthier relationship with food. And to be completely honest, I'd really like to eat those high fat / high sugar foods again one day. Just not like before. For example;  I'd like to have a bit of birthday cake but not obsess about it and need to have more than is reasonable.

Do people do this? Is it unreasonable to think I can get to a point where I can enjoy a small meal of "normal" food and occasional treats and still maintain my weight loss? I read some information from my last  rygb support group that included a long list of foods titled, "foods to avoid forever" or some such and it really bothered me.

I'm allowed treats now that I'm at goal as long as that's what they are. My birthday was a coupla weeks ago and friends from all over the NE came as it was an especially important birthday for me. I bought a huge number of cupcakes that seemed like it would cover as much as any of them would like during the party weekend (it was a three day event lol).

I ate two over the weekend, they ate maybe 4 of them. I'd bought about 4 dozen due to the amount of people coming. So I ate one during the week after while giving all the 3+ dozen left to the small business nail salon next to me who helped me when I was sick a few weeks back. (They let me wait in their store and took care of me and physically helped me to the taxi I'd called to take me to the ER) and since coming home the owner had stepped outside as I've walked by to ask how I'm feeling now.

A small number of cupcakes spread over a few days of my birthday celebration don't concern my dietician or me. They aren't a normal part of my life.

I didn't have any desire or craving for all those extra cupcakes in my fridge after the party. I'd had a bit of birthday treat but afterwards it's was, "what am I gonna do with all of these? I don't want to throw them out.".

Ultimately it'll come down, I think, to you're previous relationship with food and whatever negative habits you have will carry over and how you deal with that. Some folks after surgery just get used to it and are fine, some constantly struggle, some have cravings or habits they seek help for and do great with it, some transfer their desires for food to other things if it was a food-addiction issue beforehand.

But yup, it could be you end up just saying, "who in the heck can I give all these extra cupcakes to?" Lol.

I'm not sure how that diet is limiting at all (I obviously don't know further details like maybe you're only allowed five vegetables or something so far or other strictness issues) but at 7 weeks out you're really healing and adjusting - both physically AND mentally. 

I find it a bit limiting since I cannot have fresh fruits, vegetables or beans. I find meat difficult to eat and would much rather have a salad  or hummus and carrots. I was told to eat protein first and if I have room then I can have cooked vegetables and then if there is still room then canned fruit. I'm sure you can guess that there is no room past the protein and rarely room for the protein itself-so I rarely have the vegetables or fruit and when I do have them they are a bit of a cheat (not finishing my protein but cannot resist a bit of broccoli, or haven't met my protein requirements but I will indulge in some canned peaches). 

Now at 10 weeks out I'm feeling better and I seem to be getting through what really felt like deprivation - and I'm on to fresh fruit. Just a little more and I can have those salads and beans!

Ahhhhhh. Am glad to hear now that it's been a bit longer you'r options are improving!

Yeah, when it's all "tinystomachcantfitotherstuffs" it can feel sorta limited, but consider for a switch up beans and/or lentils for protein once in a while just to give yourself a change up.

I found when I was on the soft foods stage that TVP mixed with beans with what I liked in seasonings was a nice protein switch up. The crumbles of the TVP allowed me to get high protein levels while also getting veggies or beans in.

TVP can be seasoned all kinds of ways to give a lot of taste options.

Seitan is high in protein and comes plain or in different flavors and can be eaten itself or with a sauce or as part of a dish. Different brands can have different textures, too.

Being an omnivore, I assume, you're focusing mostly on regular meats for your protein. I'm herbivore so I get my protein from other stuff so I figured it might help to throw in stuff people normally don't use for ideas in variety. :)

Am glad it's getting better for you as time goes on!

I'm herbivore so I get my protein from other stuff so I figured it might help to throw in stuff people normally don't use for ideas in variety. 

I've never been a big meat eater and tend to skew more vegetarian and now more than ever I am hating meat. So Bring on the seitan, beans, tvp, and tempeh.

I'm so encouraged to read that you're an herbivore, it just seems like meat is pushed so much by my NUT I was getting worried that I was not going to be able to avoid it.

She just upped my protein requirement to 70g (gag) because some of my levels were low, so I've really got to work hard. 

I feel for vegetarian who has this surgery. I have a hard time getting 70 grams as it is. My surgeon does not want be to eat beans at all since 1/2 cup of black beans is 8 grams only. I'd have to consume too many calories. He also doesn't want me using shakes at 6 weeks but I still do. Can't do it otherwise. I admit I'm sick of tuna.

I feel for vegetarian who has this surgery. I have a hard time getting 70 grams as it is. My surgeon does not want be to eat beans at all since 1/2 cup of black beans is 8 grams only. I'd have to consume too many calories. He also doesn't want me using shakes at 6 weeks but I still do. Can't do it otherwise. I admit I'm sick of tuna.

If you are getting sick of tuna, try salmon salad.  I recently tried canned salmon, lite mayo, chopped up pickle, and am hooked!  It's similar but different enough from the taste of tuna.  

I've never been a big meat eater and tend to skew more vegetarian and now more than ever I am hating meat. So Bring on the seitan, beans, tvp, and tempeh.

I'm so encouraged to read that you're an herbivore, it just seems like meat is pushed so much by my NUT I was getting worried that I was not going to be able to avoid it.

She just upped my protein requirement to 70g (gag) because some of my levels were low, so I've really got to work hard.

That early out no matter what I'd've eaten I wouldn't have hit 70 grams haha. Just keep at it! :)

Yes and no for me.  Some days its unpleasant and others its enjoyable.  There are days where I just don't know what to eat.  Even at 9 months out mainly cause I feel stuck in a rut with what I eat.  Same ole same ole.  I still have at least one shake a day and usually a protein bar later in the day.  I really don't care for yogurt or cottage cheese but on some days I force myself to eat them. I know they are good for me.  I can't handle scrambled eggs.  I miss dipping toast in a sunnyside up egg. Any recipes I can add protein powder to I do.  I do eat any of my "bad" favorites in a bite and not very often. 

Saw my doc yesterday and got my lab results.  I have to up my protein take even more since it was lower than at 6 months out and below normal now.

I have no interest in food any longer.  I eat when its meal time and then just a spoonful or so.   I'm 7 weeks out now too but am on a full food diet.  I thought I'd be so excited to advance to "real" food but really wasn't.  I'm finding that nothing tastes good so I just stick with my good old go-to foods - egg salad, tuna salad, cheese, skim milk, slice turkey and of course a protein shake once a day.  I've also found that when we go out to dinner I just eat off of my husband's plate.  But since we are supposed to eat slowly meals (the company and conversation) are still a pleasure (just not the food).

I noticed this BIG time Saturday night. We had picked up chinese food for Mother's Day, and I got my favorite: chicken teriyaki with rice. I had two or three bites, and I was just like...bleh. It was so depressing. Especially watching everyone else around me chow down and eat all this good food, fried cream cheese wontons and what not. I went in to the next room and played with my dog and messed with my phone. But I wanted to cry. My best friend has also had the surgery, and she is about a year and a half out. She said that it slowly gets better, and you learn to like eating small portions. I guess that may be true in the long run, but it makes me feel like crap right now. Basically, I totally know where you're coming from. It's hard for me to watch other people enjoy what they eat, and me sit there with a few spoonfuls and be done. I hate it. I try to distract myself with scrapbooking and drawing while everyone finishes eating which usually causes me to get weird looks, especially if there's company over, but it's what I have to do to keep myself from losing it. My surgeon suggested seeing a counselor about my food addiction, and I probably will, but I have yet to find a counselor that is not judgmental and/or understands the severity of a food addiction. If you ever want anyone to talk to, no judgment, I'm here for you  :) We're all in this together.

I dumped once early - one week post-op on sugar (homemade pudding my neighbor gave me!) and never want to go through that again - I actually thought I was dying!!!  I am totally off sugar and even have "No Sugar" on my medical alert tag

I enjoy my tuna and egg beaters...All my protein. I'm happy to not be sick from stuffing myself period. I still enjoy food and always will. Though it won't be about going through the drive thru as before. Honesty, i don't even like fast food now. I have even tried to like it...CAN'T. 

I am a veg and I don't have any issues getting in enough protein each day. However I still use the shakes and protein supplements. It would be harder if I didn't. When I eat beans I add protein powder, cheese and plain yogurt which really ups the protein. I have a sleeve which is probably a little bigger than your pouch but I average 90 grams of protein a day.

To answer the original question, I do enjoy food. I didn't for the first couple of months for the reasons you've described but now, I like it again. Its different though. Pre-op part of what I enjoyed so much about food was the volume I would eat at most meals. Since I don't do that anymore, I try to focus on each bite and really taste it. Plus, as others have said, I too am really choosy about what I eat now that I can eat so little. If I fix something or order something and have 1 bite and it doesn't taste as good as I thought it would, I have something else. I do have sweets on a very rare occasion. I had one of my grandmother's cookies on Christmas. I had a couple of bites of pie and ice cream at a party in Feb. I had a bite of dessert when I was on vacation 2 weeks ago. I plan ahead for having a sweet so its not a spontaneous decision for me. Spontaneous food decisions helped me to get to 300 pounds so I know better than to trust myself in the moment.

My surgery was the end of November, 2013. Yesterday I had dinner at a Japanese restaurant. I actually enjoyed the Edamine, the miso soup and the salad with the ginger dressing was fantastic. So my answer is yes, I actually do enjoy eating. I don't get excited about everything I eat.

I am seven months out from RNY and I do not enjoy eating anymore. It is not satisfying, nothing tastes good anymore. I do get cravings for things and then eat whatever it is, but one bite and thecrving is gone.

I HATE FOOD and I guess that's good? but I still get nauseous all the time.