KimR

So what is VSG like 6-7 months out, eating wise?

I would like to know what your average day is like 6-7 months out post vsg.  What do you eat on an average day?  What about going out to eat?  What about going to a family gathering or a party?  Just what do you eat?  :)

Trying to get an idea of what it will be like down the road...........

the biggest thing for me is not to over eat and not to drink while eating. it is hard. at least for me I can consume too many calories.

I can eat any type of food I like if that is what you mean. although my wife became allergic to shellfish after surgery.

you are typically off the honeymoon at that point and I find myself struggling to control my eating. you still have to do the work but is easier than without the surgery.

JMO YMMV 

I eat whatever I want, though I stay away from bread, pasta, rice for the most part.  I measure and weight everything, even now - I typically stay around 6oz or 3/4 of food.  At 6 months I was probably more on the 4-5oz end of that.  Out to eat isn't much different, at 6 months whatever I ordered I split the plate into 1/3rds and ate .333 of whatever I ordered.   I just went out tonight and had a chipolte bbq burger with pepperjack cheese and it came with fries I hate 1/2 the burger, 4 fries and the two slices of tomato that were on the plate.   Family gathering potluck style, been to a few of them -  I take roughly 2 ounces of whatever meat (main protein) there is and then I take literally a tablespoon of whatever else it is that tickles my fancy at it.  Two tablespoons equals roughly 1 ounce.

Always protein first.  Eat your 2-3 oz of that and if you have room for other stuff well there ya go.  I order things without bun or dressing on the side or instead of hashbrowns I get tomato slices or instead of toast I get applesauce, instead of fries I might get cottage cheese, a vegg or fruit. 

At 6-7 months on an average day I ate whole meat twice a day, had a protein bar for breakfast, and had two nice snacks through the day of about 100-150 calories. Total about 800 cals for the day and 60+ grams of protein.

I could eat around 3/4 cup of food comfortably, volume wise. That's when I started to feel pretty normal again. :)

Your capacity for drinking should have also increased by then. You will probably be able to drink 4 ounces or so at a time on an empty stomach. Makes getting your fluids in a LOT easier.

I agree with Jolls and Dees above.  I eat pretty much whatever I want, within the confines of my high protein diet.  I've been able to eat out a restaurants and family gatherings without any trouble.  I'm just very choosy now about what I decide to put in my mouth.  I know that my tummy can't hold very much, so what I eat has to be high protein and high in nutritional content or its not worth it.  I eat three "meals"(very small in comparison to my pre-surgery meals) and a few snacks during the day.  Last night my husband barbequed hamburgers for the family, and I ate 3/4 of the patty with some veggies and no bun.  I still almost always drink one protein shake per day, just to assist me getting in the required protein, and this is usually my  breakfast routine.  For the most part, I eat just like a "normal person", but a lot less, and am much more calculated about what I eat.

I'm at 6 months right now and I can pretty much eat whatever I want, which is why it's so important in the first 4 months to establish good eating habits.  I have a Quest bar every morning for breakfast so I can start the day with a good portion of protein (and so far I'm not burned out on them).  For lunch I either have half of a ham and cheese wrap in a flat out wrap (which has around 150 calories and 20g of protein total), a cup of greek yogurt or a cup of cottage cheese.  I have a couple of snacks every day, I try to stick to Greek yogurt or beef jerky so I can get a boost of protein, but some days I have low fat animal crackers or triscuts.  Dinner is almost always some form of lean protein, grilled chicken breast, pork chops, pork tenderloin, etc.  We eat a lot of quinoa with veggies in it as a side dish, so if I have room for anything after my lean meat I will have a tablespoon or 2 of that.

As for going out to eat, I don't do it often, but when I do there is always something anywhere we go that I can order.  Last week we went to a little diner and I had a veggie omlet, I could only finish half so I had the other half the next day for lunch.  If we go out for Mexican I always order one of the egg dishes, plenty of protein, no tortillas and very filling.  And, when all else fails, nearly every restaurant has some form of grilled chicken sandwich that I can order and not eat the bun or fries.  If I get lucky, like at Buffalo Wild Wings, I can get a side salad instead of fries and actually eat a real meal. 

Typical day for me-

Breakfast-oatmeal made with 1% milk (about 1/2 a cup) with a little fruit OR 1 egg with veggies and a little fruit OR 1/2 cup Special K high protein cereal with 1% milk

Lunch-Turkey bugger (no bun) with slice of cheese and some pickles OR grilled chicken breast with cheese OR Lean cuisine (usually with chicken to get the protein up and I only eat this a couple times a month) OR 1/2 a low carb tortilla with some turkey breast and mustard with come carrots

Dinner-Usually fish or chicken with a few veggies, turkey burger, steak with mushrooms (I eat about 3 oz of steak), grilled pork chop (I eat the tenderloin part only).

Snacks-80 calorie Light-n-fit greek yogurt, string cheese, fruit, baby carrots

I eat about 800-900 calories per day

Eating out isn't too difficult.  If I am with someone who wants to split something I usually go that route.  If not, I tend to stick to grilled chicken or even breakfast for dinner-egg and fruit.  Took the family to Olive Garden a few weeks back and had the chicken meatballs.  $5.00 and I couldn't eat both of them.  :)

For me, the secret is scoping out the menu before I go, if at all possible, so I can have something in mind when I get there, rather than being surprised.  I tend to avoid chinese and mexican as I have found there are very few selections that I want.

I'm at 6 months and everything is fine.  I just have to remember to fully chew my foods, eat more slowly, no drinking while eating and keep the portions small.  The sleeve works as advertised.  If I forget to follow those simple rules I pay for it with a painfully upset stomach, pounding heart beat and "gurgles from hell".  It didn't take me long to learn that lesson. Meats like pork and beef require more chewing and much smaller bites.  I was always a fast eater my whole life and eating quickly because I was in a hurry.  Eating now just requires a little thought and meal planning.  But it's really easy now.  Best part is there's always a doggie bag if I eat out.

I'm really glad I don't have any problems with anything I've tried to eat.  I'm a really big hot pepper fan, as in habanero and bhut jolokia hot peppers.  I can still eat them with no problems to the gut, I just have to remember if I start burning I can't wash it down with large amounts of fluids.  So now I just eat smaller amounts and enjoy the burn.

Thanks for the replies.  It is all so very helpful to know how eating can typically be.  It all sounds good to me! 

I am almost at the mushy food stage - am looking forward to it immensely!

Wanted to add:

Going out to eat is really not bad.  Just pick the non-breaded meat, or beans (soup, refried, whatever).  You're a winner every time that way.  I used to always scope the menu before I went somewhere.  I'm not so worried anymore - I know what I can have and have fixed in my mind what I'm going to order usually before I open the menu.  Red Lobster - I want crab legs.  Fast food restaurant - default choice is "naked" chicken (if it comes with a bun, I throw the bun away).  Taco Bell - pintos & cheese cup or a bean burrito. 

Family functions are also not bad.  If it's a grill-out, take your own with you and tell them to throw it on the grill.  Hot dogs bother me, so if it's a hot-dog-fest, then I take chicken with me for them to throw on for me.  I can do hamburg without a problem and steak too.  Mom likes to make lasagna once in a while, and I ask her to make me marinara with just ground beef in it and I dress it up with cheese.  No noodles for me.  They all know I like meat, cheese, and I don't do anything "white", and most of my family is willing to make small accomodations for me. 

If I get stuck at a luncheon and I can't get ANYTHING that isn't fried (that happened to me a couple times), I look for WHOLE MEAT, then I pick off all the breading and just eat the flesh closest to the center - that's been less infused with grease.  I just take a few bites and then take the rest home with me, whereupon my husband thinks I am the best wife in the world for hooking him up with some greasy spoon food, lol.

It's really all doable as long as you have your head on straight.  :)

I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you but can share what I've experienced so far.   I've been out to a family dinner once and ordered chicken and was able to eat a small amount of it without problem.  I can only tolerate about 3 oz of anything solid at this point.    I went to the Dr yesterday for a follow up and was given the green light for pretty much everything from the dietician.     You've probably heard it many times before but for me the key is slow down, small bites and chew, chew, chew!  Best of luck to you!

IS ANYONE HAVING SHAKES?  they have good protein content so is it ok to continue the shakes?

It is ok. I use 1 or 2 a day.

Yes you can still use shakes.  I have one probably about 4 times a week.

Yes, I have a shake almost every morning for breakfast. It gives me something in my stomach when I take my morning pills and 30g protein in the morning is awesome. Plus it adds to my liquid count for the day. I'm over a year out. It's fine to do this. :)

thanks Dees.and Jolls.

thanks so much Dees and Jolls.

I'm 7 months post op. I can tolerate any type of food. I can comfortably hold no more than 1 cup of food at each meal.

On a typical day, I will consume about 1200 calories. Breakfast-snack-Lunch-snack-dinner. I still drink a protein shake daily.

Physically eating at restaurants and gatherings is not a problem, continuing to adhere to your good health guidelines is a challenge. Like I said, I can eat any type of food including the kinds with less nutritional value aka junk food. The challenge now is choosing the right foods and avoiding grazing. At this point, I compare myself to how a normal person would diet. I have to consciously make choices to eat better foods and in healthy quantities. My stomach is no longer inflamed and can hold a good capacity of food. I could also graze all day if I chose to. So I now consider this my "choice" phase...I have the choice to continue to implement what I've learned these last few months or I can choose to wreck my surgery. Thankfully, I'm still making the right choice and am remaining committed to this new healthy lifestyle.

Jolls and Dees ...do you stay away from bread to continue eating healthy or because it fills you up and makes you uncomfortable? I would hope to one day have a piece of toast :) I'm not dying now for it but it is something that I do enjoy. Thanks

Generally speaking I stay away from bread as it is a nutritionally pointless item that has to go into limited space.

Having said that, I do not avoid it like the plague.  I just heavily curb it.  I have a piece of toast with peanut butter every now and then -  maybe once or twice a month.  I do eat high fiber/low carb tortillas somewhat often though -  I make both sandwhich wraps and pizzas on them. 

Perfect Jolls! Thx