GettinKinny

SnSforever916 journal

Hello All...This is where I will journal all my experiences with my upcoming gastric sleeve surgery on April 3rd.

So two days away and the jitters are kicking in. I am nervous, so excited and ready to join the losers bench. Right now I have everything ready and prepped, my support system in placed and packing my bag as we speak.

However, to share a bit about me. I am a 32 year old Mom with two wild boys! I work in a pretty awesome job. I am very active in my church and with my family and friends. My weight issues could be attributed to being extremely busy, eating fast food, loving food especially carbs, chocolate, caffeine and fries.

I have tried like heck the last 5 years and I lose weight but gain it back and more. I AM DONE...with the weight loss roller coaster.

So here I am, less than 48 hours away,,,seriously nervous now! But I have done my best and I am excited to continue this journey to my more healthy life. :)

Hi Sns,

Welcome. I am new here also! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date. I completely understand the nerves, but what a gift you are giving yourself - and your children. My youngest child is 17, and I only wish I had made this decision earlier. My kids missed out on a lot because I was unable physically to participate in so many activities...snowboarding, hiking, playing baseball, volleyball...going to the beach - amusement parks...the list goes on. I know you're scared, but you can do this! Since I began reading the posts in here, I have come to realize what an incredible and caring group of people participate here. It helps so much to learn from the real lived experience of those who came before us. Chin up my friend. You will be on the other side of this before you know it, and I will be here to cheer you on ALL THE WAY! :)

Chele

Hello SNS, I will look forward to following your experience.  Good Luck on the third, my prayers will be with you on Thursday. 

Hey Sarah,

Tomorrow is the big day!!! Hold on sweetie, you are in for an incredible ride!

Remember tomorrow, sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk.

Pack your chapstick!!!

Before you get to involved in your journal, don't you think it might be better under Personal Stories rather than Introduce yourself?  Just a thought.....

Welcome!  Glad you're here!

Good luck tomorrow!!!

good luck tomorrow, hopefully you get a little sleep tonight

Hello, and best wishes on your upcoming surgery!!

Thinking of you today, Sns, and sending positive, healing energy your way. Let us know how you are doing when you are up and around :)

Chele

Hi all! Thanks so much for the prayers and thoughts. :) I've been walking and sipping. Not hungry at all. Took a tiny sliver of jello and burped. I'm guessing that was the done indicator. A little painful and had a horrible time waking up. Took me 5 hours! I'm tired but can't sleep now.

Hey Sarah,

Tomorrow is the big day!!! Hold on sweetie, you are in for an incredible ride!

Remember tomorrow, sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk.

Pack your chapstick!!!

I think I am going to copyright my

Sip, sip, sip

Walk, walk walk.

Kidding.

It's a great reminder. :)

How are you doing? I am glad to see you are up and walk walk walking :)  Ive been thinking about you and hoping you are doing well. :)

Chele

Glad to hear you are doing well

Feel much better with each day. I'm down 3 pounds. Nor that I should be worried about that but I still like to check.

Here are the changes I've noticed:

Boy have my taste buds changed. I definitely did not want that to happen nor did I think it would happen. It just isn't pleasant because I can only really tolerate is plain water and veggie broth, so I haven't had protein in 3 days. I'm gonna try to choke down some isopure but it makes me want to gag!

Wow so happy I'm not hungry but my tummy is doing flips unless I get something warm in. Yesterday I had 8oz of chicken broth 32 oz of water and half of a sugar free jello. Is that normal? Based on my nut it's good, I just need more liquid. I'm not trying to overdo it so I'm going slow.

Vitamins taste horrendous now! I used to love the taste of my chewable vitamins now I choke them down.

Lastly, although I am not drinking and eating at the same time, I haven't been waiting the half hour. I'm sipping all day and moving when I'm not sipping. Is that okay? I think if I waited until 30 mind later I wouldn't be able to get anything down. It took me ALL day to get down 8oz of broth and 1/2 of a jello.

Hi Sns!

It sounds like youre doing the very best you can. I was thinking I've seen a number of folks talking about unjury chicken soup - I looked online and its got 20 grams of protien.

Here is the link where I found it. http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-protein/unjury-protein-samples.html

I've never purchased it, so maybe others on this site can direct you to a better source. It seems like since you are able to tolerate the soup, this might be a good option for increasing the protein. Also, there are a number of flavorless protein powders that you might be able to add to the soup/broth too.

I am sure that the taste bud change is jarring. Since I havent had my surgery, I dont know if that will last or how long, but it seems like I've seen people say that its a process, and that your taste tolerance will change over time. Seems like they say, "if you cant tolerate it now, try it again in a few weeks."

Overall, it sounds like you're making good progress, and I think it will likely get better and better. I am glad you are feeling better, and I would encourage you to give yourself a huge pat on the back. You're moving around and doing the best you can. Give yourself some credit, sister! I'm super excited for you! Keep your chin up :)

Chele

Hey Sarah,

Looks like you are doing great! The Unjury chicken soup is a good way to get your protein in at this stage. It is warm and soothing and packs that 20 grams of protein.

Work on the time frame for your eating and drinking, although at this point you arent really eating since you are on liquids... but as you progress to solids you will want to wait that window.

Chicken broth, beef broth, warm tea... all some of my favorites. the broth was a great way to get the icky vitamin taste out of your mouth. My taste buds changed too... not much we can do about that.

Keep up the good work!

K

Day: 5

I feel AMAZING! Why oh Why did I ever put this off? Why oh why did I wait soooo long!

For the first few days my primary concern was fluids and honestly still is! I am still not at 64oz or 60 ounces or protein. I am getting there though and I have to force myself to choke down all these liquids and it takes a long time. I am not hungry at all. Which is great because I am not mourning food but it's also hard because I'd just rather just drink water all day. I just have to make sure I get in my fluid, make sure I get in my protein.

Right now, I am working on getting in the basic requirements, which takes me all day. I am doing the 3 meals of protein shakes or greek yogurt with protein. I just feel like I am eating all day since it takes me so long to drink these meals.

I am down 8 lbs today and I think it is very possible that I will lose the 25 lbs I wanted to in the first month.

I am walking around all day, taking care of my new baby rabbits, and doing light house work. I am taking it easy in comparison to my average daily life.

Edited by snsforever916

Sorry I missed this! Glad you are doing well, I can't stress how important the protein is for your healing, have you tried chocolate premier protein shakes? They would take me two hours to finish in the beginning but I would work on one all morning, it helped me get my strength back.

I have 4 different protein shakes. I love them still thank goodness but it also takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to drink 8 oz. I know that protein and fluids are crucial and I'm trying to get it in. It was much harder on the clear liquid stage but I'm now on full liquids and just trying. I just do not want to eat or drink. It's kinda weird. I always wanted to eat or drink pre-op.

Yep that happened to me too, your appetite will come back so take advantage while you don't have it.

2 weeks post op. I feel amazing. Not hungry and only really craving veggies which I cannot eat yet... :( I've lost over 16 lbs since surgery and 64 pounds. I have 95 pounds until my goal weight!

I bought a few goal item clothes, they were on sale and at a regular store in the junior section! I cannot wait to get in them. Also, I am in an xl now versus a super tight 3x! Pants size is 18-20 depending on brand versus a 24, which was too tight to button.

It was pretty neat yesterday. One of my hubbies friend saw me for the first time in months and he was like, "Wow, you've lost A LOT of weight." Also, I put on the shirt my mother in law purchased for Christmas, a 3x that was super, duper tight then and now it's very loose on me!

Week 3 

Super Duper frustrated! I know I need to stop weighing myself everyday especially since it's been going up! Other than that I feel amazing. I've been exercising, lifting weights and being active everyday. Getting in my protein and water, no problem. Sometimes I forget I even had the surgery. 

Week 4 - 1 month post op

So I am doing great with my protein. I am getting 60-70 grams per day. I've advanced to regular food with the dieticians recommendation. She told me to take it slow and I am. So far, protein and a bite of veggies is all I am really able to do. Sugar even from fruit and bread carbs really really effect me now, so I doubt they will be but a rare - super rare choice. Pretty much like it was in my pre-op diet.

Still not hungry...more head hunger than anything. I really understand now how much I would cheat and just have a bite here or there. I never thought I did that but now I realize that I did. Before when I would make lunches or snacks from the kiddos, I would grab a grape or two, eat a bite of string cheese or whatever. I even catch myself reverting to that, like I forgot that I had surgery. So to combat that, I chew...yes chew on a paper towel. My hubby thinks I am crazy but it keeps me from testing stuff in my true chef nature. I let my family test for me! :)

Exercise and overall activity is going great. I'm doing more classes as they keep me from getting bored and I really enjoy that I can hop around now that I am almost -70 lbs. My surgeon wants me at 135, right now I weigh 242. I cannot imagine being that tiny, so we will see. I would like to see 145-150. I weighed that while I was in the Army and that was a healthy, strong and maintainable weight.

Stall shmall...So like everyone says, week 3 is stall week and even though I tried like mad to be the lady that didn't...I wasn't any different. However, everyone that sees me at work today, says...no...you had to have lost more than 20lbs. I guess the weight training may have had to do with that. That and I lost A LOT in my face. I had a huge moon face and a quad chin before, so glad those are going down.

So far so good in my progress....loving my tiny little tummy. :)

Edited by snsforever916