Chele0828

Hopeful, fearful, excited, anxious, but ready...really really ready :)

Hi Folks,

My name is Chele and I am 49 years old. I have been wanting GBS for over 5 years and never thought I could afford it. I just found out my insurance covers it, and as my health problems continue to mount, I have made the life changing decision to pursue surgery. I have high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and am currently being tested for sleep apnea! What a list - way to much for a youngster like me :D

I have been doing my homework and preparing as best I can for what is to come. I anticipate a surgery date in the second week of May 2014. I will admit I am scared, primarily because of the pain that will come post surgery. I have never been able to take pain medications with out getting violently sick to my stomach. I took advil after both of my c-sections. I keep telling myself nothing could compare to the pain of not participating in my own life for so so long. I was excited to find this website, and I so appreciate hearing from people with the real lived experience of surviving surgery! Thank you, everyone, for your words of wisdom and advice. It is priceless. I look forward to sharing my progress and experiences with all of you throughout my journey!

Most Sincerely,

Chele

You can do it! Welcome! Just take one day at a time.

Welcome Chele! I had diabetes for ten years before my surgery and it is gone! Not choking down those metformin pills, high blood pressure medicines and high cholesterol medicines has been great and I feel so much better and I get lots of exercise, too. Don't be afraid of the pain, if you survived a couple of c-sections with Advil, I have no doubt you will be a champ! I look forward to following your journey and cheering you on! Jen

Thanks, Jen :)

Hello- I don't like pain meds either and after the second day I didn't take much and I was released from the hospital on day 3 and I think I took 2 doses once I was home. I think the secret is to get up and walk as soon as possible and walk every hour even if it's just a little bit. I hope it goes well for you! I am 6 months out and it's the best decision I ever made. 

Hi Chele walcome to the family, we all know how you feel that is the magic thing that is make us only one in this journey .. Stick with you plan, more joy will come along. :)

Hello and welcome to the group!  I am scheduled for surgery on May 19th and I have a ton of emotions running through my head! I look forward to following your journey...

Looks like we will be having our surgeries pretty close to the same time, Boz. Thank you Francy - it is really good to know others understand. And thanks Jenn, I read about the walking consistently in another forum also - sounds like sage advice :)

Boz, I get the emotions and thoughts being all over the place. I feel really excited and hopeful, yet I read about people who have already had the surgery, and I worry that my expectations might be unrealistic - especially how difficult it might be...greiving the food relationship, dealing with the physical changes, and for those who are farther out, keeping the fire going. I have been telling myself I want this so badly that I will be super compliant. At the same time, I keep thinking I should go eat all the things I wont be able to eat anymore like Pizza, and fast food, and pasta and bread and rice...etc, etc, etc. In my heart, I know that is just fear and some addictive thinking talking, but there it is. I am just going to keep putting one foot in front of the next and do my best to get through the tough times. It will help having all of you to share these feelings with.

Chele

Welcome!

Congratulations on your decision!  You will be very happy with the outcome.

Thanks, J.R.,

Oddly enough I was just reading your story. You have been incredibly patient. I am thrilled for you that you got your surgery date. It has been a long time coming! What an incredible journey! It look like we will be around a month apart on our surgery dates. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Chele

Looks like we will be having our surgeries pretty close to the same time, Boz. Thank you Francy - it is really good to know others understand. And thanks Jenn, I read about the walking consistently in another forum also - sounds like sage advice :)

Boz, I get the emotions and thoughts being all over the place. I feel really excited and hopeful, yet I read about people who have already had the surgery, and I worry that my expectations might be unrealistic - especially how difficult it might be...greiving the food relationship, dealing with the physical changes, and for those who are farther out, keeping the fire going. I have been telling myself I want this so badly that I will be super compliant. At the same time, I keep thinking I should go eat all the things I wont be able to eat anymore like Pizza, and fast food, and pasta and bread and rice...etc, etc, etc. In my heart, I know that is just fear and some addictive thinking talking, but there it is. I am just going to keep putting one foot in front of the next and do my best to get through the tough times. It will help having all of you to share these feelings with.

Chele

Chele,

I have to tell you that I made up my mind to lose weight on January 2, 2014 so I can be around for my children, that was my sole motivation.  I made the choice then that I would cut out all bad foods, like, anything made with white flour, all breads and pastas, all artificial sweeteners, and all refined sugars...which basically leaves whole natural foods.  I have been on the weight loss train before and I use to eat all those things that I thought I would miss, just to end up going back to them again and again and again.  This time is different, I have not touched any of these foods for the past three months and I really do not miss them...I have a completely different mindset than ever before.  I never even considered surgery when I started my new lifestyle.

The only reason I went the WLS route was because of my diabetese and other health factors.  I do not plan on any last meals, because I think it defeats the purpose of the new lifestyle choice.  That is saying we will miss you in our lives and I never plan on missing the junk again. 

As I say often, this is just my $0.02!  Take Care and Good Luck in your journey...I look forward to sharing it with you!

Today, I got the call no one ever wants. My surgeons office called to inform me that my insurance, in fact, does not cover bariatric surgery. Never mind that they quoted me and confirmed with my insurance number and member ID that is was covered, and also confirmed that with the office when they called to confirm that it was covered. Both me and the bariatric office were told it was covered but needed pre-authorization. I did everything I needed to in order to be ready...the psych eval...the nutritionist, the fitness test, and even finished a sleep study. The surgeons office sent in all the preauthorization with the referral from my doctor...all the ducks were in a row. BUT...oh were sorry...bariatric surgery is covered in every state in the US EXCEPT Oregon. We misquoted you. Gee, sorry about that. :(

I called them, but to no avail. There is no way I can afford to pay privately, so my hopes for getting my surgery are shot. I looked at even financing it, but the payment would be way too much to afford.

Thanks everyone for your support and well wishes. Looks like this path is just not in the cards for me right now.

Chele

Welcome the pain from the surgery was not to bad for me. I was tired for a few day afterwords. I wish all my best and will be looking forward to hear about your progress.

Chele

Many of us did "food funerals" before surgeries but there are 2 things to consider:

You may have a pre-op liver shrinking diet to be on before surgery. It is important to follow that diet because if the liver does not shrink enough, your surgeon might have to convert your procedure to an open one or not do the procedure at all

Secondly, any additional weight you gain now will have to be lost after surgery.

Presurgery is the time to start breaking some of the food addiction behaviors that caused weight gain in the first place.

Start cutting your portion size.

Practice chewing each bite 20 times.

Learn to stop drinking with meals.

Reduce or omit high calorie carbs like pasta rice bread that have little nutritional value.

Post on the preop gastric bypass forums where you can ask and get answers to any questions.

Good luck.

You can do this.

Oh my gosh.

I am sorry, I missed your 2nd post

I am very sorry about your insurance issue.

Is there any way to do a formal appeal?

Someone on this forum found an advocacy group that fought her insurance company and I believe she won and got her surgery.

There is an insurance issues section on this forum . Maybe post on that section and ask for suggestions

Good luck

Edited by Spunkycat

Wow that really stinks about the insurance but if it is covered everywhere but Oregon can you go up to whichever neighboring state is closest to you?

It really does suck, spunky. I will be doing an appeal, and I requested a certificate of coverage. It feels incredibly shady. Not just one misquote of coverage, but two separate coverage confirmations. :(   I will check that insurance forum out. Thanks for the tip.

I was numb for most of the day yesterday, and last night, I had a long, hard cry. I want so much to believe I can find a way, but as a single mom - finding a way to pay for it all myself isnt in the cards.

Ange - I thought of that right away, unfortunately, it is where the person is insured, not where the service is performed. My mind was spinning like a top yesterday, and I went from one idea to the next in absolute disbelief. It felt like...and still feels like a bad dream. I'm trying my best not to give up. Yesterday, after I got all the news...I wanted to go out and binge on fast food, or pizza, or anything that would just completely sabotage me. I didnt end up doing that, but I will admit I am feeling pretty lost, scared, and genuinely betrayed by my insurance company :(

I will go check out the insurance forum and see if I can find any solutions.

Chele

Chele

Try googling weight loss surgery advocacy group or some variation of that. Also spend some time going through the insurance forum on this site to see if you can find the thread where the poster gave the name of the advocacy group she used.

Try not to binge.

Pray and I will pray for you as well

I went to the forum as soon as you suggested it, and Lennie also told me the name of the advocacy group some of the members here have used. I already emailed them. I am not sure they can help - it looks like they generally help folks who are covered but have been denied, but I will let you know the outcome.

I didn't binge, but I sure thought about it. It was a good knowing - major disappointment and that was right where my head went. Instead, I had a nice salad with lots of fresh veggies and garbanzo beans. *whew*

Thanks for your help, Spunky. I appreciate it more than you know :)

Chele

Please keep us posted.

In my thoughts and prayers.

Cathy

Hang in there Chele, you will be in my thoughts and prayers! Please keep us posted, keeping a positive attitude is always more than half the battle.

J.R, Thank you. I am taking inspiration from your journey. I know how many roadblocks you've endured, and finally things are coming together for you. That gives me some hope.

Boz, I appreciate your positivity. I am really working on it. You all are helping me in ways you don't even realize.

IWant...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I will look at all of these, and no, I didn't see any of them yet. I appreciate all the resources and information I can get. I am determined to find a way. I really believe that I found this site for a reason, and I appreciate the help so much!

Chele

Well...still waiting to see what happens with the insurance, but it doesnt look super positive. Moving to plan B. Since it appears that I am going to have to pay out of pocket, I have had to reconsider the type of surgery I will be having. I had originally selected the gastric bypass because it has a much higher success rate in resolving my co-morbidities (diabetes type II, high blood pressure, and now the recently added sleep apnea). Honestly, I think the sleeve will be better than not doing anything. I found a surgeon about 3 hours away who does outpatient sleeve surgeries, and I am strongly considering that as an option. The upside is that it could happen pretty quickly - often the biggest barrier is getting the insurance aspect of things in line.

I am a little nervous about making the switch - both with the type of surgery and the location/surgeon, but he has excellent reviews and his practice is a "bariatric center of excellence". I wonder what all of you might thing about the differences in the surgery and the idea of having an outpatient procedure?

Chele

I personally don't think there is a huge difference in the success rate between bypass or sleeve. I would be happy with either. As for switching the surgeon's that is not ideal, but as a self pay you have to do what you have to do, and if its a bariatric center of excellence, that tells me they are good too. Good luck.