March 5th

tlc1015

Dear OceanshoresBarb!

YOU may you have posted something about yourself after your surgery,

but I can't find it. How are you? Please let us know how you are doing.

I don't know about others, but I am anxiously waiting to hear from everyone.

Please post something. I hope you are OK.

Gabriella

The blue ice test is dyed ice they have you chew to check and see if it shows up in your drain tubes.

The morphine was making me sick. I'm on a different pain med now along with phenegrin gel on my wrists.

Just had a few sips of beef broth for the first time.

My sleeve surgery was March 5th - previously had lapband.  So happy - now onto my new life!

Excess gas sucks but feeling better each day - going out to the bank today :P  and life is good.

Hi March Friends

I thought this was a good place to post how I am doing. Surgery was 3/5 and I was just discharged today. I had a rough couple of days, today is the first day that I didn't say to myself "what the hell have you done?". But the good news is every day has gotten better and today, I am taking in all my required fluids without problem and today I am able to say I have taken an awesome, necessary positive step forward to a brighter, healthier life :D

Day of Surgery-I was not as nervous as I thought. My blood pressure was good and I hit it off with the nurse anesthetist and the anesthesia student. We were laughing and carrying on and everyone was in good spirits. My Mom, son and daughter were at my bedside. Of course the surgery was a blur, but I did wake up still intubated and they couldn't extubate me because my oxygen saturations were a little lower than they would like. It would have been nice if they would have sedated me a little at that point but that defeats the purpose, so I struggled to talk and pull at my tube as I was panicked. The end result is a wicked sore throat that I still have today. I had a glorious pain pump with Dilaudid. It was awesome, they also gave me an IV antacid and anti nausea medicine around the clock, no worries for an upset pouch. I had a foley, so no getting out of bed to pee either. Absolutely nothing by mouth, so that just pumped me with lots of IV fluids.

Post of Day 1 and 2- To Radiology for the pouch test. I had to drink 2 ounces of the WORST tasting clear liquid and then follow it with another 2 ounces of the chalky barium. It immediately nauseated me, but I didn't vomit (yea me). They took pictures and said that I had a small ileus (a narrowing at some part of the new connection) and that things were moving very slowly :unsure: I was terrified, they made me wait 20 minutes and took another xray. Things looked much better and had moved through, so I was good to start sips of clear liquids. Back to my room and almost immediately the foley catheter and pain pump were removed. I was physically drained and my new pouch was really sick from drinking all that bad tasting stuff. My pouch made the craziest, loudest noises that I have ever heard (and still does. My first taste of anything was a grape popsicle, which I only ate half of. I started to quickly feel way to full. I was already learning to listen to my pouch. And then it started........explosive diarrhea, nausea and a general feeling of illness that took me down. This went on for about 36 hours and despite all of this they want you to drink and drink and drink. Woke up on Post Op Day 2, feeling a little better and wanted to go home, but the dreaded diarrhea struck again along with a lovely fever, low blood pressure and low O2 saturations, so we all decided that the hospital was the best place for me. I am a nurse but I am not crazy. 

Post Op Day 3- Getting all my fluids in, walking the halls, doing my breathing exercises. Feeling better and my MD said that the surgery went great. Feeling not so regretful but VERY emotional when my son and daughter came to see me. Fever gone, blood pressure getting better, oxygen improving. Still on IV fluids and diarrhea finally stopped. And guess what, I was HUNGRY, yep I said it, and nothing seems to satisfy that for very long but as soon I take a few sips Im full. It is very hard to comprehend. Day 3 showed me that ice cold items not my pouch friend and warm decaf tea was and so was the broth.

Post Op Day 4-Felt MUCH better and all the nurses and MD's said I look much better, did everything that they told me and I am now home. Tired but no regrets today. Still getting used to "listening" to my pouch. I'm gulping instead of sipping and need to slow down, so that has me a gassy mess.

From what I hear my experience is fairly routine, minus the fever, diarrhea thing. My nurses kept telling me that even for a patient that went a little sideways, I still did really well.

Prayers to all of you with surgery dates this week. Hoping Oceanshore and Eluna are well. Signing off now to go refill the water bottle :lol:

Hi March Friends

I thought this was a good place to post how I am doing. Surgery was 3/5 and I was just discharged today. I had a rough couple of days, today is the first day that I didn't say to myself "what the hell have you done?". But the good news is every day has gotten better and today, I am taking in all my required fluids without problem and today I am able to say I have taken an awesome, necessary positive step forward to a brighter, healthier life :D

Day of Surgery-I was not as nervous as I thought. My blood pressure was good and I hit it off with the nurse anesthetist and the anesthesia student. We were laughing and carrying on and everyone was in good spirits. My Mom, son and daughter were at my bedside. Of course the surgery was a blur, but I did wake up still intubated and they couldn't extubate me because my oxygen saturations were a little lower than they would like. It would have been nice if they would have sedated me a little at that point but that defeats the purpose, so I struggled to talk and pull at my tube as I was panicked. The end result is a wicked sore throat that I still have today. I had a glorious pain pump with Dilaudid. It was awesome, they also gave me an IV antacid and anti nausea medicine around the clock, no worries for an upset pouch. I had a foley, so no getting out of bed to pee either. Absolutely nothing by mouth, so that just pumped me with lots of IV fluids.

Post of Day 1 and 2- To Radiology for the pouch test. I had to drink 2 ounces of the WORST tasting clear liquid and then follow it with another 2 ounces of the chalky barium. It immediately nauseated me, but I didn't vomit (yea me). They took pictures and said that I had a small ileus (a narrowing at some part of the new connection) and that things were moving very slowly :unsure: I was terrified, they made me wait 20 minutes and took another xray. Things looked much better and had moved through, so I was good to start sips of clear liquids. Back to my room and almost immediately the foley catheter and pain pump were removed. I was physically drained and my new pouch was really sick from drinking all that bad tasting stuff. My pouch made the craziest, loudest noises that I have ever heard (and still does. My first taste of anything was a grape popsicle, which I only ate half of. I started to quickly feel way to full. I was already learning to listen to my pouch. And then it started........explosive diarrhea, nausea and a general feeling of illness that took me down. This went on for about 36 hours and despite all of this they want you to drink and drink and drink. Woke up on Post Op Day 2, feeling a little better and wanted to go home, but the dreaded diarrhea struck again along with a lovely fever, low blood pressure and low O2 saturations, so we all decided that the hospital was the best place for me. I am a nurse but I am not crazy. 

Post Op Day 3- Getting all my fluids in, walking the halls, doing my breathing exercises. Feeling better and my MD said that the surgery went great. Feeling not so regretful but VERY emotional when my son and daughter came to see me. Fever gone, blood pressure getting better, oxygen improving. Still on IV fluids and diarrhea finally stopped. And guess what, I was HUNGRY, yep I said it, and nothing seems to satisfy that for very long but as soon I take a few sips Im full. It is very hard to comprehend. Day 3 showed me that ice cold items not my pouch friend and warm decaf tea was and so was the broth.

Post Op Day 4-Felt MUCH better and all the nurses and MD's said I look much better, did everything that they told me and I am now home. Tired but no regrets today. Still getting used to "listening" to my pouch. I'm gulping instead of sipping and need to slow down, so that has me a gassy mess.

From what I hear my experience is fairly routine, minus the fever, diarrhea thing. My nurses kept telling me that even for a patient that went a little sideways, I still did really well.

Prayers to all of you with surgery dates this week. Hoping Oceanshore and Eluna are well. Signing off now to go refill the water bottle :lol:

Oh IV anti nausea would have been wonderful for me I think!  Once they swapped me from morphine to the much friendlier Dilaudid (for me) I did better.  I didn't even get water until after the xray check because I'd been so gosh darn sick.  The good news was, because my Dilaudid was via shot into my IV rather than pump, I weaned off of it rather quickly (Haven't had pain meds since day 3 post op--due to a family history of drug/alcohol/prescription addiction, that is always a goal of mine to get off them quick). I remember I kept telling the nurses, "i expected pain but I didn't expect to be so sick!" for three days!  Once they got me off the IV I started feeling so much better.

Anyone heard from OceanShore?   Eluna, how are you holding up? Each day gets better for me, today being the best. Looking forward to what this new way of living will add to my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Butterfly4eva27

May I ask you  what is your pre-op diet?  I would be curious to know what makes you sick?

My pre-op diet is 2 protein shakes Bariatric Advantage

3 oz of lean meat (fish,chicken or turkey) baked, broiled, grilled.

1/2 cup of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain pasta, or 1 slice of whole grain bread or 1/2 cup of resh fruit.

salad with low-fat dressing.

Pluss 1 snack if needed per day (raw veggies, deli meat of low-fat cheese

Since the quantity of salad and the raw veggies are not given

I think I will have a nice big salad

and chop up some celery, carrots, cauliflower etc. for my snack.

Since I am diabetic, I will forget about the starchy stuff , but I might take the 1/2 cup of fresh fruit.

My preop diet starts on the 3rd of March.

Gabriella

Gabriella,

I was on straight liquid. with no solid foods.