Doll.OnAMission

Turned a Corner, Feeling Great

I guess since it's passed midnight I'm technically on day 11 post-op. Yesterday I just felt so much better than I had since my nausea took a turn for the worse on my third day post op. Hubby took me to the mall so I could by some running sneakers and smaller work out clothes because I only really had skate sneakers which are really uncomfortable to exercise in and all of my sweatpants were falling off of me. I lost a good amount of weight pre-op and I'm not even sure what my current weight is because my battery in my scale died and I haven't been able to go get a replacement. Either way, I was able to buy my exercise clothes at Target in size XL and I was just stunned. I don't think I could wear XL jeans or anything fitted yet but it was still a really great moment. I'm basically around a size 16 and shrinking. I also discovered that I was able to buy shoes a half size smaller without them pinching my toes--which I haven't been able to do since before the birth of my son. All in all it was a very exciting and motivating shopping trip.

Either way, the fact that I had the energy to even go shopping in the first place was indicative of how much better I felt yesterday. My pain has gone way down and I'm taking half the dose of my pain medicine with double the time increment in between...meaning I've gone from 2 pills every 3-5 hours to 1 pill every 6-10 hours. I've also made some home made broths that are a little bit heartier though still light. I should say heartier in comparison to boullion which was on my list of approved liquids (only 15 calories per 2 cups) but I've read A LOT of places that a light chicken broth from strained soup is fine. I honestly feel as though my lack of sustenance was exacerbating the feeling of extreme nausea that I'd been experiencing especially when you take into consideration that when I had to go to the hospital day 4 or 5 post op (it's all kind of blurring together) they had to give me glucose in my IV due to low sugar. Moving on, I am also getting my protein down really well too. Though not at the recommended 60+g I have been getting in at least 40g a day (much better than 10-20 or just gagging at the mere sight of a protein shake). My dietician also suggested waiting 2 weeks before starting my vitamins/supplements because they can be harsh but then I realized that calcium is basically like tums...and tums are used to calm stomachs down...so wouldn't my calcium help my stomach? Well I started taking my calcium citrate and (in combination with the broths) I am far less nauseous and not taking my nausea meds nearly as much.

I still have my queasy moments and sometimes find it hard to drink without getting burpy or a heartburn feeling but it's so much better than the agony I was in from day 3-day 9. I am a big baby when it comes to nausea and I knew that was common when committing to this lifestyle change but I didn't realize how difficult it would be to live life when so incredibly nauseous all the time. Yesterday I was able to cook for my son and make him smoothies opposed to having my father and husband help (their solutions are usually to give my little boy canned or frozen foods where I prepare his foods fresh). I was also able to get on the floor with him and play for the first time in over two weeks and he just seemed so happy to have mommy seemingly back and in action though I can tell he is craving to be picked up (he is 2.5 years old and 30.5 lbs!).

It feels so good to see everything taking a turn for the better and now I'm just dreaming about when I can have some squash soup with a little low fat sour cream or some mashed potatoes...only a few days away from soft foods! Yay!

Thanks for all the support everybody :)

Keep working hard, you have a journey ahead of you!  

We are surgery date buddies! I have an almost 2 year old and he's definitely missing me doing things for him like normal. I'm struggling with not being able to pick him up too! I'm glad your feeling better.

It'll get better every day! Keep drinking and stay hydrated. Protein totals will come but it may be a month! Protein shakes were on my list from day one and I relied on them for my protein initially and counted towards my fluid intake. Glad you are here! Good Luck in the days ahead.

Each day seems to be getting better and better for me as well. Nausea is tough, because you just don't want to do anything. I remember pre-op - I was testing out different protein shakes and thinking, "This is awesome - just like chocolate milk!" But now it is more of a chore to get them down. I keep reminding myself that it gets better :)