tlc1015

Freaking Out about Protein Shakes/Drinks

I am really having anxiety about having to drink the protein shakes and drinks. I have aversions to food/drink textures, smells and tastes, and have myself convinced none of them could possibly taste good. My surgery is 3/5/14. I have decided to start to try some now (although I know surgery may change my tastebuds). Anyone have any "OMG this shake or drink is to die for recommendations". I'd love to hear!

I've heard a lot of good things about the Premier shakes they sell at Costco. Also, Unjury has a tasteless powder that can go in anything you can tolerate texture-wise. Just a thought.

check some flavors at bariatric choice.com  I get the orange flavors and really like them.

let me know in case you place an order in the future, I have a 20 dls off code.

best of luck!!

If all else fails (even though this is what my program had us do haha) you can Carnation Instant Breakfast **and add 1 Tbs other protein powder to it.   CIB hardly has any protein in it so it is literally like drinking chocolate milk - but because it doesn't have hardly any protein in it, you need to add a minimum of a Tbs additional powder to it.  And adding small amounts like that shouldn't hurt the taste of it.

Also to the other powders you have - try adding a little dry pudding mix to them, that often helps with both the smell and taste.

When it comes to protein powder recommendations, it is such a personal preference that the answers you get will be all over the map! Not to mention, many people experience dramatic taste changes from pre-op to post-op and even from one week to the next for several weeks post-op.

I would recommend going onto a bariatric website that sells samples and getting a nice variety of brands and flavors so you have plenty available. I actually buy a couple of each one that sounds good to me so I can try it prepared a different way if the first attempt fails. Then, once you have a better idea of what brands or flavors tend to appeal to you, you will be taking less of a risk by purchasing a full sized container.

I get my samples from Nashua Nutrition. If you click on the arrow next to the flavor, you'll see a gigantic list of flavors and brands to choose from.

Keep in mind that the "unflavored" protein powders are not flavorless or tasteless. They just don't have a flavor added to them. Honestly, many are really yucky. I've tried at least a dozen and my favorite is Isopure Zero Carb.

I am 4.5 months post op and capable of getting all my protein in via "real food" I dont find myself needing to supplement with shakes. So hopefully, your aversion to shakes will only be important for a couple months.

I am 4.5 months post op and capable of getting all my protein in via "real food" I dont find myself needing to supplement with shakes. So hopefully, your aversion to shakes will only be important for a couple months.

I can't stand them anymore.

I find carnation instant breakfast disgusting all by itself -- I'd much rather have something like Tera's Whey Fair Trade Dark Chocolate - it has the protein already in it.

I'm afraid I'm in the camp of You tell yourself you will like it and you will.   This is an inherent part of the whole weight loss surgery process, and if you are ready to have your insides rearranged forever, you have to be ready to make some adjustments to your food preferences as well.

I have yet to find a protein powder that I couldn't make tolerable with enough Torani Sugar Free syrup or some decaff coffee....

Nothing is ever as bad as you can convince yourself they are.

I find carnation instant breakfast disgusting all by itself -- I'd much rather have something like Tera's Whey Fair Trade Dark Chocolate - it has the protein already in it.

Really?  I don't think I've ever heard someone say that before!  It hardly has protein in it, so that surprises me.  We are unique snowflakes, aren't we!

Edited by Jolls

I bought a package because back when I was about to have surgery people talked about drinking it -- -well, one pouch got used and the rest hit the trash can.  I guess I'm an odd duck.

GNC makes a series of Lean Protein Shakes that are fantastic! They are 14 oz ready to drink and have 25 gm of protein and are very low sugar and very low fat. They have several flavors..Chocolate, Strawberry, Banana and Vanilla. The vanilla honestly tastes like Vanilla Bean ice cream...its EASILY the best I've had. They have a Pumpkin Spice right now too which is tasty! If you become a member for only $15/year you get great discounts on everything you buy. My membership paid for itself the first day. They also have all the vitamins and supplements we need in chewable form

I love the Premier shakes from Costco/Sams Club.  I preferably like the Chocolate one.... the Vanilla one is too sweet. But depending on your tastes, you may like it.  

dont buy anything in bulk pre op, many of us experienced taste changes post operatively. ex. i HATED applesauce pre op, now i love it.

so same will go for vitamins, drinks, protein etcc. i started my chewable, SL and liquid forms of multivit regimen 1 wk pre op simply to get used to the routine every morning.

i did the usual rounds testing out protein drinks and powders. i ahve since settled on the COstco Premier protein in chocolate. early post op i started to get nauseated just thinking of another chocolate drink, so i started w unflavored preotien powder. i mixed it in soups and put it in my mushy food.

i alos liked the Designer Proetin 2 Go drinks, no milky taste, just like reg juice.

at almost 1 yr post, i still do 1-2 protein shakes a day.

Personally I love Click Coffee Protein powders in the morning. Mocha is my favorite and I can't wait to try the new caramel.

I also like to use a generic vanilla powder that I got at Sam's Club. I found that if I add ice and 3 tsp sf pudding powder to it, and blend it in my Magic Bullet it makes it so much more palatable. The Vanilla is great because you can change the flavor pretty easily by using flavor extracts, cocoa powder, and spices.