Doll.OnAMission

A little concerned, 5 days post-op SO NAUSEOUS

The first few days after my surgery I felt absolutely fine. Day 2 after surgery and I was handling shakes and liquids really well. Today is day 5 and I do really really well with tea, broth, and water  but even looking at a shake makes me nauseous. I'm afraid this is just taste aversion but I don't know how I'm supposed to even work on meeting my daily goals if the sight of a shake makes me nauseous :( Any advice would be appreciated. As an FYI I tried blending them with ice and different flavors and it helped a little bit. The nausea started kicking up at the end of day 3. Also  if I don't take my pepcid at the right time the nausea seems to linger more so I've been trying to stay on top of that.

Thanks in advance for all the help for this pouch rookie <3

I just want to clarify that I'm concerned because I didn't have these issues day 2 post op but now I do.

Definitely something to keep an eye on, but not super concerning yet. Taste aversion with protein shakes is quite common at this stage. You could try some of the non-creamy type shakes like ready to drink Isopure fruit flavored protein drinks or FruitBlast 4EVERfit (Cranrazz flavor was my savior!) powder mixed pretty diluted and super cold with ice. I found also that keeping the smell away by using a straw from a cup with a LID made a big difference.

If those tricks don't work, you could also try adding some protein powder to warm drinks. A little unflavored or vanilla in a cup of warm tea or a sugar free chai tea latte or a bit of chocolate protein powder in a warm mug of Swiss Miss DIET hot cocoa may go down easier.

If you still find yourself too nauseated to get your protein in, or if it starts at any time to affect your general fluid intake or hurt, give your surgeon a call and discuss it with him or his staff. You may simply need a temporary anit-nausea medication to get you over the hump, a change in your ant-acid meds (I tried a couple before I found the one that works for me) or you may need to be evaluated for a potential ulcer or stricture. Usually, it just takes trying a few different protein sources.

Unjury's chicken soup protein mix is a good savory alternative to the sweet drinks. There are many types of protein drinks available. Drinking protein mixes from a lidded cup helps many people. If it is a head game for you, you just have to put your head back on straight, get over it,  and do what you need to do for the short term---drink your protein drinks so you don't get sick and wind up back in the hospital.  Being successful with WLS often required you to do what you MUST do, not what you WANT to do.

As BugDocMom said, if you are experiencing true nausea or other physical problems consuming your required intake, call your doctor's office ASAP. It is critical that you do not become dehydrated or malnourished.  Take good care of yourself.

I had issues with the unjury chicken soup too :( I will try putting it in my tea. I don't know if it is an ulcer or a stricture because I have zero problems getting down tea, broth or water. I was just feeling really good and then I looked at this post and the thought of a protein shake made me nauseous again so I think it must be in my head. I'm afraid to try and drink because I'm afraid that I will puke and that will cause staple line disruption. I was still about to get in about 20g of protein today though still not the desire 60-70g. The non creamy shake really sounds like a good idea to me right now so I am going to have to get on that stat! I am so sick of getting nauseous whenever I think about my protein :( 

You might also try Carnation's Breakfast Essentials, more like chocolate milk than a shake. Rather than mixing to shake consistency, I make many of my protein drinks more the consistency of flavored milk by hand mixing with a spoon. Bariatric Advantage has banana, orange cream, and vanila flavors.Try adding unflavored protein to various things on your list of foods and drinks. Keep in mind that unflavored does not mean flavorless--it just means no flavors were added.

If the thought of protein drinks is making you nauseous, that suggests it is an emotional block, rather than a physical problem and a couple of visits with a therapist may be in order.  Check with your doctor, but I think you are worrying needlessly about disrupting your staple line and that may be the source of your mental block. 

they gave me the carnation breakfast essentials in the hospital but it's disconcerting to me that one packet only had 5g of protein. It didn't taste bad but I think I am having an aversion to creamy or milky textures. I have EAS and GNC shakes and they've been pretty good. I think my downfall was the GNC banana shake and that it may have jump started this whole aversion. And I know that I am definitely over

worrying about my staples but I am particularly nervous when at home with a 2.5 year old. I have people around to help but sometimes he gets really rambunctious and it makes me nervous but I don't want him to feel rejected.

Anyway, I woke up this morning with nausea so bad I felt fit to throw up and I also had a really bad pain on my left abdominal area about 3 inches below the rib and parallel to my belly button....basically near one of my incisions. I gave in and called my surgeon's office who put a prescription in to my pharmacy for an anti nausea med. I'd been giving pepcid but i guess that is only an ant-acid. They also suggested I got 24 hours without protein shakes to see if it helps me over this hump. Meanwhile I do plan on going to get some drinks that are more sport drink textured because I really do think that will help.

I asked the doctor about the incision and side pain and explained that it hurts less when I put pressure on it and the pain seems pretty muscular or surface opposed to internal. No redness or anything around the incision. She didn't seem concerned. She just told me to call back if the nausea meds don't work and I start throwing up but as long as I'm getting liquids down (I'm get 60+ oz a day) then I should be fine.

I took the nausea meds and they did help and I no longer feel fit to heave. I am going to try to rest a little bit and then go for a walk because I think I have some gases battling with my insides making this all much worse. I walked a ton in the hospital but not as much since I've been home because of the snow outside and my doctor advised me not to frequent the stairs in my house (we have 3 flights) as that was causing mr discomfort. I have been active though and I cook small meals for my son (my hubs handles bigger meals) and do some light picking up but I really think I would benefit from more gas-moving activity :(

I was reading through old forums and I guess this left side pain is pretty common but boy is it annoying. Did anybody else have experience with it?

The Carnation Breakfast has only 5 g protein, but 1% milk adds 11G and 16g is much better than getting nothing if you are having trouble with the shakes.

The Carnation Breakfast has only 5 g protein, but 1% milk adds 11G and 16g is much better than getting nothing if you are having trouble with the shakes.

I agree with this.

I know a lot of folks will say you MUST get in the protein shakes and others go so far as recommending only 100% Whey protein isolate since it is the best absorbed form. BUT, if what you need is a break while you find a different/better protein that works, the little bit of protein from the Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with milk is better than nothing. It's certainly NOT a long term choice... too much sugar and calories and too little protein for regular use, but definitely better than nothing for the next few days while you figure out what WILL work.

Some folks also add a bit of powdered milk to a regular glass of milk to up the protein a bit during this tough time.

I'm 3 weeks out today, and I can tell you I'm still having issues with nausea. I was told that it is normal - and a lot of people have had similar issues. I can say I have been to the emergency room once - to get a few IV's to re-hydrate. Keep an eye on it! Have you tried Boost Glucose Control? (ask your doctor before trying anything new though) They have vanilla and chocolate, I tolerate the vanilla better. 

Did you gt anti nausea medications? I know they gave me some - Zofran (not sure how it's spelled). 

I hope you feel better!!!

My issue with the carnation and other my gnc is that I'm having an aversion to anything thick or creamy at all. This means I'm also having an aversion to vanilla, strawberry, chocolate. It is an extremely strong aversion that all seemed to start when i tried a banana smoothie. I'm not really 100% sure what happened because I was totally finally on my pre-op diet and the first 2 days post-op. It's not that I don't want to drink the protein or that I am not trying.... I tried to put the unflavored unjury in my tea earlier and I legitimately started gagging. I literally couldn't take a sip of my protein drinks without gagging and breathing deeply trying to coerce myself into not puking. This is in no way a joke and I don't take my nutrition to be a joke. I don't want to get run down or lose more hair than necessary. 

On that note, you are an absolute life saver bugdoc because I got the isopure zero carb drink from gnc and it is amazing. I don't have any aversion at all (knock on wood, right?!) and I am pretty easily drinking it. The fact that there are 40 gs of protein and 0 carbs and sugars in a bottle is also amazing. I ordered popsicle molds too so that I can freeze some as eating popsicles seem a lot easier. 

I was actually in the hospital all last night for the acute pain on my left side that wasn't being helped with pain meds. I was in the hospital for 14 hours and they said I was hydrated but still put me on an IV. My glucose was low so they gave me glucose injections and also morphine and more anti-nausea meds. I could still feel the pain despite the morphine (which I hate because it makes my head feel icky). They gave me a CAT scan and said everything looked normal but told me to just be careful of any lifting or bending I may be doing inadvertently (which is possible I suppose with a 2 year old at home). It has taken two full days but the pain finally seems to be subsiding a bit. 

Thanks everybody for the advice and help as I know you all have my best interest at heart and have been at this far longer than I. I just keep thinking...only one more week left and maybe things will get better with pureed and soft foods. Though I heard that can be a point of a lot of nausea for some too. We shall see. Regardless, I appreciate everything you guys have to offer :)

Have you tried unjury chocolate classic or splendor? It's supposed to taste just like chocolate milk

Anything creamy or milky makes me instantly nauseous. As in, I think about it and I fight gagging. The isopure is an amazing solution.

Re: Left side pain. That's where I hurt the most too. It's on the lower left where they insert the stapler -- so apparently that spot tends to hurt more than the others for most people. 

Yeah, I have the ack creamy blah's too - but I'm not back on zofran so I'll have to deal and down it.