Kgcoyne

Thyroid being removed

I was recently diagnosed with a large nodule and several small nodules in my thyroid and now I scheduled for surgery to remove my thyroid....  anyone out there had to get their thyroid removed after gastric bypass?  I am close to 3 yrs post op now.... Im worried about how the medications will work because of my bypass surgery... weight gain hormones, you name it.

Anyone have their thyroid out??  Issues?

I am pre-op, but after a few months they have regulated my medication very well and it is not a big deal. Your hair could come in thicker, your heart rate could become more regular, and your energy could be increased, but nothing bad should happen. Good luck!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis abouth 6 months ago and have a few nodules on my thyroid as well. Although removal hasn't been mentioned (yet), I would be ok with it if it does end up happening.

I have been on sythroid for 15 years now and the constant adjustments and blood draws have gotten old. I would imagine that having the thyroid removed once and for all and finding a med dosage that works for you will make you feel so much better!

Keep positive, you'll do great!

Update - Well, I ended up having suregry and taking out only half my thyroid, because the biopsy was "inconclusive"... my surgeon said why take out the whole thing if we are not sure? There was no right answer, other than some of it had to come out because of the large nodule.  ONce the nodule was out they send out for more advance testing.

Yesterday, I got my results.  I have thyroid cancer, and now I must go back and have a 2nd surgery to remove the rest of my thyroid.  UGH  what a pain!  After that, I will be given a dose of radioactive idodine to kill any other cancer & thyoid cells that may be left.  Its a very treatable cancer, and almost 100% success rate, so Im not too worried.  But I will have to start thyroid medication and take for the rest of my life. 

HI Kgcoyne, I discovered I had thyroid cancer last year, I had my thyroid taken out, did radiation. I had gastric bypass 3 years ago and after the thyroid surgery I am struggling to loose weight. My blood work have been returning good so my doctor has been keeping me on Synthroid 150 mg but if on the next 2 weeks if the weight still doesn't change I am going to have a serious conversation with my endocronologist and my surgeon about a revision. I still have 40 lbs to lose and in the past year slowly gained 10 lbs, I am very frustrated. The whole thyroid cancer process was a little scary since the word cancer was involved but I had a lot of support and my faith to keep me going and now I am cancer free. I don't have much symptoms except the weight problem, which is freaking me out, and my memory sometimes can be faulty. 

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis abouth 6 months ago and have a few nodules on my thyroid as well. Although removal hasn't been mentioned (yet), I would be ok with it if it does end up happening.
I have been on sythroid for 15 years now and the constant adjustments and blood draws have gotten old. I would imagine that having the thyroid removed once and for all and finding a med dosage that works for you will make you feel so much better!
Keep positive, you'll do great!

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos also. Did they say anything about your liver enzymes being affected at all? Just curious because mine seem a bit elevated after my weight loss surgery.

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos also. Did they say anything about your liver enzymes being affected at all? Just curious because mine seem a bit elevated after my weight loss surgery.

I never heard anything about liver enzymes, or had them tested really.

My Hashimotos diagnosis ended up leading to a thyroid cancer diagnosis and a total thyroidectomy and the removal of one parathyroid. Because of the malabsorption issued associated with RNY, I was hospitalized for a week trying to get my calcium levels up to the point where my hands, face and feet weren't paralyzed. It has been 6 months since the thyroidectomy and I still have to take large amounts of calcium everyday. As far as synthroid and thyroid levels...I'm taking 175mg and am still working with my endocrinologist in getting my levels regulated on that too.

Im so sorry. That is no fun. But you're right, I had thyroid issues, still do, and the doctor told me if I ever get thyroid cancer it's the one I want to get! I didn't think it was funny then. :-( Bad either way. Very curable still no fun though.

Edited by klynn

No such thing as a "Good Cancer."

I went through this in 2003. Luckily only one surgery, because they sent it to pathology while I was still on the table, and could get the rest at the same time.

Also did RI. The worst part of the entire process was the 9 months it took to get replacement levels correct- during which I gained about 40 lbs. Not a fun time.

Thinking about you and sending hugs!

Agree!!! Let us know how it goes! Sending healing hugs your way!!!!!

Mamacita, I just saw your post, that is awful! How are you feeling now? Were your vitamins not absorbing? Yes that is very scary! I'm not sure what happened with my liver enzymes, I know I had an ultrasound in October so I'm not too worried about cancer however I think my body is just adapting to the new way of eating. Also, I was taking more Tylenol then normal due to some endometrial issues. I just hope I can get them back down. I wonder if when someone is diagnosed with Hashi they don't do more ultrasounds or screenings to check for cancer? Did they routinely checked you after you were diagnosed with Hashi?

Mamacita, I just saw your post, that is awful! How are you feeling now? Were your vitamins not absorbing? Yes that is very scary! I'm not sure what happened with my liver enzymes, I know I had an ultrasound in October so I'm not too worried about cancer however I think my body is just adapting to the new way of eating. Also, I was taking more Tylenol then normal due to some endometrial issues. I just hope I can get them back down. I wonder if when someone is diagnosed with Hashi they don't do more ultrasounds or screenings to check for cancer? Did they routinely checked you after you were diagnosed with Hashi?

I feel "ok". I just recently had a lumbar spinal fusion and had to go through potassium and calcium level hell before the surgeon would even touch me. As far as thyroid....We're still working on getting my levels back to normal. I have gained quite a bit of weight, not sure if it's due more to the lack of thyroid hormone in my system or that I don't always eat well.....probably a combination of both ;). I can tell if my calcium starts getting low because my nose feels like it's vibrating, kind of funny.

For 15 years, I had doctors comment on my goiter and always ordered TSH blood tests to "adjust" my medication. Never was I once checked for hashimoto's, cancer or anything of the sort. It wasn't until I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last summer when a doctor felt suspicious and wanted to do an ultrasound and biopsy. Thankfully, It was the slower growing type of cancer, because who knew how long that was growing inside me.