"on the go" foods after RNY

Hello,

I am constantly on the go all hours of the day.  I volunteer/work a lot for a youth sport organization and my husband and I have 3 teams so we always seem to be on a field of some sort. I am scheduled to have RNY on 1-31-14 and am afraid to have a hard time finding quick and easy, on the go snacks. I do realize this is a life change and one of my biggest changes is going to be taking care of myself!! I just need things I can grab when in a rush.  Any protein bars that might work?

I have bought Premier Protein shakes that I really enjoy.  Of course, who knows how my body will react to those after surgery :/

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)

you can always keep a cooler in your car with those frozen freezer packs and keep yogurt and the protein drinks in it.  Greek yogurt is a quick protein fix.

oh... the Premier Protein bars aren't bad, either.  Still 30 grams.

Edited by Happy-Camper

String cheese, little baggies of nuts (and raisins or other dried fruit), roasted edamame (Seapoint Farms) and fruit are things I have available.

String cheese, nuts, little travel hummus cups, chicken broth in a thermos, yogurt

and veggies - snap peas, carrots, broccoli, cauli

Edited by GAviv

CONGRATULATIONS!! on your up-coming date! 

For the first couple of weeks you will need to keep a thermos of protein drinks -- Unjury makes a chicken protein powder that a lot of TT members have recommended for a hot broth.  I'm glad you have bought protein shakes to have on hand.   I also mixed protein powder with decaf coffee and crystal light that first week or two.

When you get to the soft food stage, I'm with HAPPYCAMPER, load up the cooler with Greek Yogurts, Applesauce (watch out for the added sugar kinds), Tuna Foil Packs, sugar free fat free puddings, and Cottage Cheese.  All of these are easy to grab at the grocery store and keep on hand for the two-three weeks of this stage.

Once you are cleared for "real" food -- keep the cooler stocked with lean deli meats, cheeses, fresh fruits and veggies.  One of my favorites is a deli roll up -- string cheese and a dill pickle spear wrapped in a slice of lean deli meat.

Congratulations again!  God Bless You!

~ Carol

Edited by clthomas

CONGRATULATIONS!! on your up-coming date! 

For the first couple of weeks you will need to keep a thermos of protein drinks -- Unjury makes a chicken protein powder that a lot of TT members have recommended for a hot broth.  I'm glad you have bought protein shakes to have on hand.   I also mixed protein powder with decaf coffee and crystal light that first week or two.

When you get to the soft food stage, I'm with HAPPYCAMPER, load up the cooler with Greek Yogurts, Applesauce (watch out for the added sugar kinds), Tuna Foil Packs, sugar free fat free puddings, and Cottage Cheese.  All of these are easy to grab at the grocery store and keep on hand for the two-three weeks of this stage.

Once you are cleared for "real" food -- keep the cooler stocked with lean deli meats, cheeses, fresh fruits and veggies.  One of my favorites is a deli roll up -- string cheese and a dill pickle spear wrapped in a slice of lean deli meat.

Congratulations again!  God Bless You!

~ Carol

Thank you so much for the great ideas and also for the encouragement!!

String cheese, nuts, little travel hummus cups, chicken broth in a thermos, yogurt

and veggies - snap peas, carrots, broccoli, cauli

Gotta look for those hummus cups. I can also handle small packages of cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers, not my top choice but available everywhere.

Quest Protein Bars! I just found a new flavor I like. Brownie, Cookie Dough, & Chocolate Chip Chunk. You might have to wait a month or two before your stomach can handle them.

If im on the run:

1.  unsalted natural peanuts
  2.  turkey slice with feta cheese in the middle (like a taco)
  3.  atkins protein bar
  4.  Chia seeds in my water bottles
  5.  refried beans with feta cheese in a small container
  6.  liverwurst with saltine crackers
  7. bumble bee Tuna /chicken salad in a ready to eat can

Baggies of nuts

VeganDream jerky

Baggies of dehydrated veggies

Those all-natural squeeze pouches of vegetables and fruits that are meant for kids

Make protein muffins or cookies and bag them

• 2 weeks later...

A piece of ham or turkey lunch meat wrapped around a string cheese.

If only a cooler would work in Phoenix in the dead of summer.  A cooler out here in a car will be water instead of ice within about an hour give or take :(  But I have a bag that I carry that's full of premeasured mixed nuts, or just almonds, or just cashews, etc.  I also keep a lot of beef jerky on hand.  I have to steer clear of cold stuff unless I know I'm going into buildings with a public fridge to put my stuff in temporarily.

The world according to eggface has this amazing "bento box" and she fills it with some super yummy foods for on the go - on amazon you can even get the outer case (I'm sure you can put freezer gels in there to keep stuff cold) 

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-bento-box-rocks.html

Edited by PinkGal

• 2 weeks later...

Habanreo Almonds from Blue Diamond are the Bomb!  (ok any almonds work if you are on the road)  Just chew chew chew...

• 4 weeks later...

The world according to eggface has this amazing "bento box" and she fills it with some super yummy foods for on the go - on amazon you can even get the outer case (I'm sure you can put freezer gels in there to keep stuff cold) 

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-bento-box-rocks.html

Thank you for mentioning this website. Amazing recipes! Can't wait to chew, again!

in the very early days I agree with a thermos of chicken broth w/ protein powder or I like the Unjury chicken soup protein powder.  Warm things tasted very good to me right after surgery.  If you need to "drive thru" somewhere, Wendy's chili is the only option for me, even at 4 months.  I eat two packs of saltines w/ my chili just to get in a few carbs.  Wendy's chili is "thinner" than chili I make at home and I could digest it in month 2 or there abouts.  

I loved Quest bars before surgery but somehow have a diversion for them after surgery...if you can do protein bars, I do think they are far and away the best I have tried.  I carry one in my purse all the time just in case I get stuck somewhere and need some protein.  

I still cannot eat tuna in month 4...not sure why.  But most people in my support group seem to live on it! :)

Like Happy Camper said, you can always put a lunch bag w/ blue ice in the car w/ your Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, etc.  It takes minutes to pack.  Yes, it's an extra thing to do before you leave home, but it's all in how you look at it...being prepared is the key to making the right choice.  

Good luck to you!  Let us know how you are doing! :)

I still cannot eat tuna in month 4...not sure why.  But most people in my support group seem to live on it! :)

Tuna packed in oil is much easier for me than tuna in water, even though I ate the water kind all my life.

I'm going to be traveling in late June to visit family and I'm really glad this thread is here. I was talking with my husband just today on my lunch walk about needing to make sure my dietary needs are met during our trip, so this will be handy. We'll be traveling from Sacramento to Seattle, so I'll need a good cache of on-the-go foods in my trusty cooler.

Thanks for this one, it helps.   :)

Edited by naturemom