Tina s

10 weeks out and back at the gym?

10 weeks after getting gastric bypass now at the gym. Is there anything I could eat before the gym so I don't get that light headed feeling and is it true we are no different from anyone else at the gym. I thought we were coz we aren't having as much calories . Help xxxx

I had half a protein shake (Syntrax Nectar made with ff milk) on the car ride in and saved the other half for the ride home.

I never noticed a difference in my pre and post-WLS self but I did start gradually and built up my exercise level.  Fluids are your top priority - you need to be well hydrated before you start and have a drink available at all times.

And the other tip I'd recommend (although I understand it's a personal decision) - if you're using a trainer or the advice of a staff member, tell them about your gastric bypass and limited calorie intake.

What Cinwa said. I was back at the gym 4 weeks post-op doing everything except ab work and backed off just a little from where I had been with regard to resistance, but had worked back up to a full hour of cardio on three different machines but a little slower. Listen to your body. Some days I was tired and so did less; other days I felt like Superwoman. I made sure to drink before, during, and after--protein both before and after and water (or Crystal Lite) all throughout. Just remember that you're not competing with anyone--so especially at the beginning only do what feels right. You have plenty of time ahead of you to challenge yourself! Good luck! It gets easier as the weight comes off! (A personal aside: When I first went to the gym before surgery, I could barely do anything on the elliptical--had worked up to 3 minutes! When I returned after surgery and lighter, I was amazed at how much easier they had made the machine!)

I was amazed at how much easier they had made the machine!)

I am truely hoping they visit my gym while I am off and fix the machines for me too! :P

Thanks for All the help guys. I'm just wondering if you's are all from America as my surgeon has never told me about protein shakes but I see everyone is taking them. I'm from Scotland xxxx

Most of the people on here are from America. There are some from the uk and some from Australia. I think the pre and post operative care here is much more intensive then what I've seen with people outside of the us but particularly the uk. With you guys it seems like they do the surgery and send you on your way. There are a lot of eating plans etc on here that may be able to help you with the aftercare that you probably aren't receiving.

i was walking from day 1` post op, back at gym after 2 mos (cardio only) and light wts (10 lbs only) by 3 mos. i was back to reg strength training by 6 mos or so. i wore my abdominal binder for 6 mos.

i will eat a light meal (usu brekfst of cottage cheese, fruit cup and yogurt) pre gym. never work out on an empty or very full stomach. youll need fuel for the energy expenditure, but not so full that the exertion might make you throw up!

after 45 mins i will have a green tea shake w a scoop of protein in it. more water after depending on how long and strenuous my work out is for that day. when i get home i will have a hi prtein shake (25-35gms) then make lunch.

hope this helps some!

Yeah I think your totally right us in the uk pay for the op and only get a phone call from a dietician every month. They keep telling me to try eat normal which I'm finding really hard. I wish we had some sort of group I could go to and sit with people in the same boat as me. This is why I turned to this forum it's been a great help. Yeah that does help just hope the gym gets easier

It occurred to me in the shower this morning that the OP's original question re: calories and exercise was not really addressed. We are eating fewer calories, yes, but we have lots of stored calories (fat) that we are trying to use as we exercise and live! So--as you exercise, you first use the recently ingested fuel and then the calories stored in the fat. So--you want to eat fewer calories than you burn in order to lose weight. As I understand it, our bodies will become more efficient at using the stored calories the more we exercise. You want to be at a calorie deficit, to burn the stored fuel that fat is. Simplistic explanation, I know, but that's all my simple mind can do! Hope that helps.

Edited by Molly January

Yeah I think your totally right us in the uk pay for the op and only get a phone call from a dietician every month. They keep telling me to try eat normal which I'm finding really hard. I wish we had some sort of group I could go to and sit with people in the same boat as me. This is why I turned to this forum it's been a great help. Yeah that does help just hope the gym gets easier

Feel free to use us as your support group  :)

I've been going to the gym regularly for years and if I didn't eat at least a couple of hours before working out I would start to feel light headed about 30 minutes into my workout. I expected the same post-op but it hasn't even happened once. Sometimes I don't eat for 4 or 5 hours before I got to the gym and I work out for 60 - 90 minutes and I'm fine. Not sure if its just me? Sleeve specific? Or all WLS people? I have eaten a little before going to the gym and that's fine too. Not too much though or I can feel it bouncing around in my sleeve while I'm working out. Hope this helps answer your question.