Quest Protein Bars

amandaelisabeth1

Hitting GNC again tonight.

Taking notes.

I'll have one for breakfast tomorrow and let you all know what I think.

When it comes to protein bars and the like, I've always scrutinized them and been hard on them. I'll be fair in my assessment, but I won't pull any punches. ; )

Eric

Eric - let me know what you think. Trying chocolate brownie, apple pie and cinnamon roll in the next few days. Will post my review. Interested to taste the PB&J also! Cashew coconut still makes me swoon.

I take half a bar for morning snack and eat the other half for my afternoon snack. I love cookie dough!

I just found out that Quest will be rolling out a new flavor in the beginning of Feb....Cookies and Cream. Trying not to get my hopes up because it sounds really good! Lol

I just found out that Quest will be rolling out a new flavor in the beginning of Feb....Cookies and Cream. Trying not to get my hopes up because it sounds really good! Lol

OMG - I will be in heaven!!!  I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy a PB&J to try, and I'm going to ask when they will get the cookies and cream in.  Yummo!

The girl at GNC told me about this. My only response was "Oh, sh**. I'm in trouble."

LOL

So, yeah. I managed to make it to GNC tonight. The bars are a little expensive at retail. They are $3 each, but GNC was having a "Buy 3 get one free" sale. So, I got 12. Dost me just over $28. If I like them, I'll have to start looking at ordering them cheaper online.

My 15 yr old really likes coconut. She wants me to eat the coconut cashew bar when she's around, so she can have bite.

The girl at GNC told me about nuking them, too. She said the brownie and... I forget the other... are really good nuked. She warned me sternly, though. Not more than 7 seconds and, if you've got a powerful microwave (which I happen to), start at 3 or 4 seconds. Otherwise, she said, "you'll have a protein mess in your microwave." Heh heh. Thank you GNC girl. : )

Eric

Quest ranked #1 in this rating of 30 different bars. Due to the raving here on TT :), I tried a couple when I went to The Vitamin Shoppe to pick up bars, calcium, etc... My go-to bar today is the Power Crunch Cookies and Creme. I don't like most chocolate, but this is choco on the inside and vanilla on the outside. I also like the crunchiness -- it is like a sugar wafer cookie sorta and I always liked those :).

I liked the Quest Coconut Cashew (two of my favorite flavors :)), the other one I tried a bit less. I will give a few more a try and also try the microwave trick!

So, knowing full well that I would not probably like it, I first tried the Coconut Cashew. I love cashews, but historically have not been a coconut fan. I liked the flavor, just not the texture of the coconut.
History has not changed. Two bites, and I gave it to my 15 yr old to have for breakfast this morning. She LOVED it. She, however, likes cashews and LOVES coconut. The wife wasn't a big fan, either... but that's no surprise. She's notoriously picky.
The texture (?) of the bar kind of threw me off. My previous experience with protein bars was that they were candy bar or granola bar in style and texture. When I opened the Quest, though, it looked like bit piece of laffy taffy, and the consistency of it was very caramel-like. I thought chewing it would pull the teeth right out of my head. : )

So, I had the vanilla almond crunch for breakfast today. It still had that "laffy taffy" look, but the texture was better. It was a bit less caramel-like and more... I don't know... Cake like? No. That isn't right.
The best description I can think to compare it to is the bottom layer of a Snickers bar, but a little bit tougher - in a good way.
I really liked the vanilla and almond flavors, but found the "crunch" in the name to be a bit of a misnomer. There was very little crunching going on. LOL

All in all, I give it a hearty and full approval.

I've got, I think, 8 more flavors to try (I bought a couple duplicates), so I'll update as I go.

Eric

So, knowing full well that I would not probably like it, I first tried the Coconut Cashew. I love cashews, but historically have not been a coconut fan. I liked the flavor, just not the texture of the coconut.

History has not changed. Two bites, and I gave it to my 15 yr old to have for breakfast this morning. She LOVED it. She, however, likes cashews and LOVES coconut. The wife wasn't a big fan, either... but that's no surprise. She's notoriously picky.

The texture (?) of the bar kind of threw me off. My previous experience with protein bars was that they were candy bar or granola bar in style and texture. When I opened the Quest, though, it looked like bit piece of laffy taffy, and the consistency of it was very caramel-like. I thought chewing it would pull the teeth right out of my head. : )

So, I had the vanilla almond crunch for breakfast today. It still had that "laffy taffy" look, but the texture was better. It was a bit less caramel-like and more... I don't know... Cake like? No. That isn't right.

The best description I can think to compare it to is the bottom layer of a Snickers bar, but a little bit tougher - in a good way.

I really liked the vanilla and almond flavors, but found the "crunch" in the name to be a bit of a misnomer. There was very little crunching going on. LOL

All in all, I give it a hearty and full approval.

I've got, I think, 8 more flavors to try (I bought a couple duplicates), so I'll update as I go.

Eric

I describe the texture as "plastique".  :)

My favorites are Strawberry Cheesecake, Coconut Cashew, Apple Pie, Cinnamon Roll, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  I think the banana bread, mixed berry, peanut butter and jelly, lemon pie and brownie are good but not my favorites.  The first 4 that I listed are the ones I buy most often.  I saw a trend in them causing me to go up in weight so I started getting my protein from other sources and using these bars 1-2 times per week max and my scale started trending back in the right direction.

The girl at GNC told me about this. My only response was "Oh, sh**. I'm in trouble."

LOL

So, yeah. I managed to make it to GNC tonight. The bars are a little expensive at retail. They are $3 each, but GNC was having a "Buy 3 get one free" sale. So, I got 12. Dost me just over $28. If I like them, I'll have to start looking at ordering them cheaper online.

My 15 yr old really likes coconut. She wants me to eat the coconut cashew bar when she's around, so she can have bite.

The girl at GNC told me about nuking them, too. She said the brownie and... I forget the other... are really good nuked. She warned me sternly, though. Not more than 7 seconds and, if you've got a powerful microwave (which I happen to), start at 3 or 4 seconds. Otherwise, she said, "you'll have a protein mess in your microwave." Heh heh. Thank you GNC girl. : )

Eric

GNC has about the best price. You won't find them far cheaper online - the price may vary by a few cents to MAYBE a dollar or two, but you'd still be either paying for shipping or waiting for shipping.  I've searched high and low and the prices all seem to even out as far as I've seen.  The Vitamin Shoppe has them for about 20 cents cheaper than GNC, but you don't get the fourth one free so GNC works out better.  What I like about the GNC deal is that you pay the same price that you'd pay for a box anywhere else (online or retail) but you get the variety of choosing the flavor combo that you want rather than having a whole box of one flavor.  

The choice thing definitely makes a difference. That's for sure.
buying directly from Quest, you can gt a box for $24 with no shipping (at least, the cart populated a $0 for shipping, when I tested it, but I didn't go past the Cart stage). That's $2 a bar. At GNC, without membership, but using the 'Buy 3," they're $2.50 a bar. So, you're saving about $6 a box by buying them direct, and that's excluding taxes.

IIRC, Quest had an assortment box, too, but I didn't look to see if there were specifics included or if you could pick & choose.

Eric

I pay $28 a box at GNC with a membership. I only like 3 flavors. GNC is right behind my house so it's very convienent. I am a librarian at an elementary school and can't sit down and eat lunch, so I take one daily.

I've been buying for only $2.09 per bar when I buy a case of 12...here's the link! I buy enough at a time to get the free shipping. The price for single bars is good too, so I get singles of flavors I just want to try before I commit...

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/sb-quest

Edited by cherylm321

Ladies and gentlemen, the flavor of the day is...

::drumroll::

Strawberry Cheesecake

Being a fan of cheesecake, in general, in the past, adding this one into the group was a no brainer for me.

I don't regret it. It was extremely not bad.

Yes. Very "not bad." Note that "not bad" is not the same as "good," however.

The consistency was somewhere between the "firm nougaty" consistency of the Vanilla Almond Crunch and the "plastique" (Thank you, Sherell) of the Coconut Cashew. Not bad, but nothing to get excited over.

Flavor wise, it DID deliver all of the tastes associated with a strawberry cheesecake. There was the strawberry flavor, the cheesecake flavor and the crust flavor. What was unfortunate about it, and I guess it's kind of to be expected, is that all of these flavors were delivered simultaneously. It was as if someone put a piece of strawberry cheesecake (I'm getting tired of typing that out. LOL I'll call it SC if I type it again. ;) ) with 2 or 3 times as much crust as is typical in a blender and turned it into a big bar of laffy taffy. You do not get the layering effect of SC, or the texture (obviously), so it seriously changes the experience. Also, with the integration of the flavors, there's something lost in that you cannot isolate them as you could if you were eating a piece of SC. There's no scraping off the layers one at a time, until you're left eating just the (usually graham cracker) crust. That is not necessarily a condemnation but, if you're anything like me, you could eat a piece of SC and gladly leave the strawberry & crust behind, eating just the cream cheese mixture.

If you have a SC fetish or really Jones for SC, it's worth giving it a try. It might just hit that spot.

Personally, while I'd be willing to eat it again, it's not likely one I'll be consciously choosing in the future. While it wasn't bad, I suspect that there will be enough that I think are GOOD that I won't really need to settle.

Eric

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try them, I just can't do the shakes anymore they make me want to barf!

GNC has about the best price. You won't find them far cheaper online - the price may vary by a few cents to MAYBE a dollar or two, but you'd still be either paying for shipping or waiting for shipping.  I've searched high and low and the prices all seem to even out as far as I've seen.  The Vitamin Shoppe has them for about 20 cents cheaper than GNC, but you don't get the fourth one free so GNC works out better.  What I like about the GNC deal is that you pay the same price that you'd pay for a box anywhere else (online or retail) but you get the variety of choosing the flavor combo that you want rather than having a whole box of one flavor.  

Vitacost website has them for $24.99 I think.  Check it out.

Cinnamon roll and banana nut bread are my favs. Someone here said don't try the Lemon ones, so I haven't. :)

Cinnamon roll and banana nut bread are my favs. Someone here said don't try the Lemon ones, so I haven't. :)

The Cinamon Roll and Banana Nut Bread are both "in the queue." I'll probably give at least one of them (probably BN) a shot this weekend.

As I have never EVER liked lemons in my life, I didn't even bother looking for anything with lemons in it. : )

Eric

I tried lemon-not a thrill.

My new fave is the cookie dough. I think I'll try the microwave idea next!

I told the guy at GNC I could get them for $24.99 on line and that's what he let me get them for. Got PB and j today, not bad. Cooke dough is still my fave.

Edited by Cheesehead

The chocolate brownie and chocolate peanut butter are my favorites. I haven't tried the pb & j, and the cookie dough and chocolate chunk are too sweet.

Ugg. . .  my variety pack arrived yesterday and I was thrilled to see it was full variety - no two of the same flavor.  Very nice.  So I started to try some today - I did do the microwave. . . . . and I gotta say. . . .  yuck

I will take the time to try them all, . . . .  but I am not digging them.  I also notice the high amount of fiber in the bars - they have something similar to what fiber one stuff has in it (or the same thing) - and that can cause stomach upset just like sugar alcohols.    So if you notice some yucky stuff in your tummy - this is it.

I did feel like I needed a wheat thin to clear my mouth after I tried them. 

I can't do protein bars, tried but they don't make me feel good. I spoke to my NUT and she said that was pretty common. She also said that maybe my stomach is pretty sensitive. I have sensitive skin and now a sensitive stomach. And I have to admit I'm a pretty sensitive myself.