jlweed07

Impressed with Tricare!

Submitted and approved within 4 days!!  I was thinking of worst case scenarios throughout this whole process but everything went so smoothly!  I couldn't be happier with Tricare and my doctor's office for getting me scheduled in so quickly!  Feeling on top of the world today!

I went through Tricare but as I had my WLS done at a MTF, there wasn't any waiting for approval.  The doc suggested doing a RNY at the same time as the umbilical hernia repair that I was referred to him for and that was it - I was on the programme.

Good Luck Jl! I have tricare also but they don't pay for the sleeve yet. I really wish they did. Keep us posted!! I see your surgery is close. You must be so excited.

Good Luck Jl! I have tricare also but they don't pay for the sleeve yet. I really wish they did. Keep us posted!! I see your surgery is close. You must be so excited.

No, tricare does not pay for the sleeve... yet.  they will eventually.  I would have chosen the bypass even if sleeve was an option.  I am down to less than 2 weeks, and I am so very excited, nervous, scared-- so many emotions!  I found out today also that the only cost I have for the surgery is a $25 co pay to the hospital.  That is so awesome!  Tricare is amazing! 

Hi I just wanted to share with you that Tricare does cover the sleeve effective 1 Jan. I have tricare and was orginally going to get the RNY in December. There was a family emergency at my sugeons office and I wasn't submitted. However, they re-verified my benefits this month and I got approved for the Sleeve. If your first choice is the sleeve, I encourgage you to have your surgeons office re-verify your benefits. I was totally caught off gaurd by that. Hope it helps!!

Congratulations and good luck!

I also was approved within a week if I remember correctly. I will forever be so grateful that Tricare allowed me this opportunity to Chang my life.

Mine was also only a $25 copay to the hospital and a few more small ones for appointments.

I suspect my surgery was one the highest billed to date on this forum too! Sometime ago there was a thread on this forum about what our surgery cost. Mine was high do to multiple other procedures done on my innards and longish hospital stay.

For fun reading-

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/61084-tricare-claim-amount/?hl=%2Btricare+%2Bcost#entry761959

Although I did have a nutrition class to pay for, I feel very blessed to have Tricare and it to work out so well. So glad this will be financially working out for you too!

This gives me hope! I'm going to see my PCP tomorrow to start my referal process with my bariatric surgeon! I have tricare prime. North region.

I'm nervous. I def quality for the surgery. I'm just worried I'm getting my hopes up...

So happy for you! Congratulations on jump starting the new you!!

My tricare experience was pretty similar. I was so worried it would take forever, but it took less than a week. Once my approval went through my surgery was scheduled a week after that.

This makes me feel much better!  I just took the last of my paperwork to the surgeon on Tuesday and I am hoping it will be submitted to insurance by the first part of next week.  I have been so worried that the process for Tricare approval will take forever because I have not always had the best of luck with them in the past!!!

All of my info was sent to Tricare tuesday for approval.  The status went to more info required for 2 days and it was approved today....4 days later!!!

Can anyone elaborate on the rule that lack of weight loss on WW must be documented in your draw office monthly? I have tried WW many times, and have never been successful, but I don't think it is documented. I tried LA Weight Loss a few years ago, but it is not documented either. Will I need to go to WW again, and document it with my MD?

I didn't have to show proof that I had tried these different methods.  I told the doctors but I had to go to my PCM once a month for three months and have him fill paper work out and show that his doctor approved diet wasn't working for me.

I have Tricare as well. I read that they approve with a BMI over 35 and 2 comorbidities. The way that I understood it, diabetes is NOT a mandatory comorbidities, but they will accept hypertension and high cholesterol with a 35+ BMI. Can anyone comment on this? I'm really nervous that I will get turned down due to not having diabetes.

Diabetes is not a mandatory co-morbidity.   I was approved without it, and didn't have any problems.   The St. Francis group is very familiar with Tricare and will know what to do to get you approved.   Best of luck to you going forward!

Thanks, Princessblog! Now that I have decided to do this, I am ready to go. My mind is set on weight loss and changing habits, and I know that I cannot do my usual of losing 20 lbs or I won't be accepted and then I'll have to start all over when I gain 30 back! :). I feel like a race car waiting at the starting line just revving my engine.

I did not have diabetes.  I was very nervous but was approved in just a few days!!

On January 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM, jlweed07 said:

Submitted and approved within 4 days!!  I was thinking of worst case scenarios throughout this whole process but everything went so smoothly!  I couldn't be happier with Tricare and my doctor's office for getting me scheduled in so quickly!  Feeling on top of the world today!

Hello! I see it's been a few years since you started your journey, mine starts at Portsmouth Naval Hospital tomorrow for their orientation! How was your experience? I feel like Tricare doesn't have as much info available online as the civilian hospitals, but I'm so grateful that they've gotten the ball rolling! Thanks for any info!