Is muscle milk protein shakes good to use?

Yep!

Just be sure to check the number of calories and the amount of protein per serving -- Muscle Milk has a lot more calories that Muscle Milk Light.

http://www.musclemilk.com/products/

Any kind of muscle milk is not allowed by my surgeon. Too many carbs. Cathy

Muscle Milk is fine as long as you're replacing a meal with it. You cannot possibly get too many calories right after surgery. My NUT recommended muscle milk both for my pre op and postop diet.

Premier Protein has more protein per ounce, but the texture just gagged me. If you can drink the muscle milk post op, it is an acceptable solution for a sleeve. Not necessarily a bypass, but for a sleeve, it works out fine.

I am sure it is okay. I was relaying what my surgeon/NUT told me. I didn't say that no one shouldn't drink it, but only what instructions I was given. I am anal retentive about following the instructions that were given to me. I want to do this right the first time.

Happy New. Year

Cathy

The best thing to do is ask YOUR nutritionist -- because opinions vary on this greatly.  They would not have met the criteria for my plan, and the one time I had a bottle of the rtd muscle milk I was NOT impressed, and didn't finish it.  It wasn't worth the calories. 

This is why there are so many products on the market, not everyone likes the same thing.

What do you think about the ensure protein shakes?

Muscle Milk is available in a light format, as well as a collegiate (which is missing stuff that shows up on college level sports drug tests). Light has very few calories compared to regular. 

All Muscle Milk is a mix of whey and casein protein. As such, half or more of a powder and water mixed from it would not be well absorbed by someone with an RNY.

I do not like any high viscosity pre-mixed shakes in cartons or cans. They sit for months in warehouses, then spend weeks getting to stores, then sit in the back of stores until put on shelves, then sit there for weeks. 

So they have to have emollients and other stuff added to keep the product from separating or clumping. Which it still does sometimes.

But a whey isolate powder mixed with water and consumed within 20 minutes is free of those additives. 

On the other hand, I do like Protein Ice which is basically colored SF flavored water with 42g of protein in 20 ounces. So while I sip it, I get a ton of protein and "water" too.

The ensure can be done as well.  I know someone that just got 'approved' for it with our NUT/doc.

Where can I buy protein ice?

Thanks

I get mine from Amazon, I'm guessing Trader Joe, Costco, and Walmart may have some, but haven't seen it anywhere locally.

Like I said before, the Watermelon is the best flavor, and if you are picky about protein taste, don't go there. It is unmistakably loaded with 42g of protein and tastes like it. The Apple is a close second in taste. I haven't tried anything else, the reviews are universally "gag" for the other flavors.

Protein Ice is not an easy sell to a lot of folks who are picky about taste, but I'm not. Or rather, I don't necessarily like the taste of Protein Ice Watermelon and Apply flavors, but its going down whether I like it or not. I need the protein, and the water, and it gives me both in spades. 

Edited by JRH
  • 7 years later...

It’s been 2 1/2 years since my sleeve only my stomach was cut not my intestines so I’m starting to gain a few pounds back and for up and down not getting my protein like I should trying muscle milk powder with skin milk taste good I can tolerate it better than whey protein can not drink it it gags me is it ok to do the muscle milk 50 gram protein I can’t stand the ready shakes premier etc etc all whey protein!!!