NSV of the Week - whats yours?

2 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

*whispery voice*

I think I'm seeing the beginnings of a thigh gap. It is the strangest feeling not to have my thighs chafe during the summer. 

(80s sitcom record scratching sound) WHAAAAT?! (80s sitcom live audience hooting and whistling)

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if you don't have one this week, come back and let us know when you do!     For me this week it was a NSV pointed out by my dad:   We were heading down to a relatives - my mom driving, me in

Great NSV!   I played the Kinecks today with my teenage son... it takes your picture at times. Later on he was looking them up on line (They are not the best quality) and I asked him who THAT person

Dancing! Dancing! Did I say I was doing the happy dance???!!!!! I just got my first labs - I'm five months out. Vitamin D was a smidge low, but all the rest are normal But wait, there's more... M

Posted Images

10 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

*whispery voice*

I think I'm seeing the beginnings of a thigh gap. It is the strangest feeling not to have my thighs chafe during the summer. 

Pre-WLS, I wasn't able to wear a dress/skirt because my thighs sweated and rubbed together so much that they bled - especially in the summer months.

10 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

*whispery voice*

Wow...that's awesome!!! I can't even imagine! Alas, I'll never know that feeling...I've never had one, never will. But I'm THRILLED for you!!

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

(80s sitcom record scratching sound) WHAAAAT?! (80s sitcom live audience hooting and whistling)

I love you!! You crack me up, girl!! :D:lol:

7 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Wow...that's awesome!!! I can't even imagine! Alas, I'll never know that feeling...I've never had one, never will. But I'm THRILLED for you!!

You might surprise yourself yet Trish. My gap started a while back now but has definitely gotten larger. I was sitting on the steps into my sunken lounge the other day, had my dining table on its side while I was cutting out new felt protectors for the legs of the table. Being fairly lazy I just let the offcuts fall on my lap while I worked away. After a while I looked down only to find none were there....they'd all dropped through to the floor. I guess the better NSV for me though was I spent about 10 days on hands and knees stripping and resealing my slate floors, hence the need for the new felt floor protection. While my knees were bruised at the end, I was able to get up and down from the floor what had to be at least a 100 times a day, without incident. I the past this particular job would cause ongoing arthriticpain for weeks afterwards.

18 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

*whispery voice*

The first time I realized I had a thigh gag, I dropped something and tried to catch it by clapping my thighs together to catch it and it fell right through to the floor.  No longer had boobs to catch it either...

4 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

The first time I realized I had a thigh gag, I dropped something and tried to catch it by clapping my thighs together to catch it and it fell right through to the floor.  No longer had boobs to catch it either...

@Cheesehead @cinwa

I wore a dress today and didn't think about my thighs once. What the what?!

I have a recliner at home. It's a nice big plush one with the button you push to automatically raise the leg rest and lean back. I got it for my back surgery last year. Anyway, my daughter always sits in one of the big cushioned arms while I'm sitting in it. It's always been too small to fit her and me in the actual seat, even  though the seat is a little bigger than the standard recliner. Well last night we were watching some Disney Princess movie and she kept wiggling a lot. Finally I noticed she had wiggled her way into the chair with me and wasn't on the arm rest as usual. Although she was like a packed sardine, she said, "Wook Mom! I'm sitting in you chair whif you!!" I actually shed a tear, because she was so excited to be in the same seat as mommy!!  Ahh... who's cutting onions in here right now?! Sniff sniff.....:wub: 

Edited by Trish13
7 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

I have a recliner at home. It's a nice big plush one with the button you push to automatically raise the leg rest and lean back. I got it for my back surgery last year. Anyway, my daughter always sits in one of the big cushioned arms while I'm sitting in it. It's always been too small to fit her and me in the actual seat, even  though the seat is a little bigger than the standard recliner. Well last night we were watching some Disney Princess movie and she kept wiggling a lot. Finally I noticed she had wiggled her way into the chair with me and wasn't on the arm rest as usual. Although she was like a packed sardine, she said, "Wook Mom! I'm sitting in you chair whif you!!" I actually shed a tear, because she was so excited to be in the same seat as mommy!!  Ahh... who's cutting onions in here right now?! Sniff sniff.....:wub: 

I swear it's all the little unexpected things that make the biggest difference! I'm sure that's not something you would have put on a list of "Things I Want to Get Out of My WLS" but it certainly is meaningful and motivating! :wub:

Edited by Jen581791
i kant spel

@Jen581791 - you stated it perfectly! I'm so blessed that I could even have access to this surgery as well as a supportive husband, family, and friends - including you all. I can't wait to see where the journey takes me and all the unexpected joys along the way! 

4 hours ago, Trish13 said:

This is everything...

5 hours ago, Trish13 said:

That had to feel awesome! I'm so happy for you and your daughter! 

I was getting back into my car at Costco today and the adjacent car's door was open, I turned slightly sideways to get through and the woman who was loading her back seat said "It's a good thing you're skinny".  I never thought I'd hear that from a stranger, although my wife calls me a skinny old man all the time. ;-)

5 hours ago, tmcgee said:

I was getting back into my car at Costco today and the adjacent car's door was open, I turned slightly sideways to get through and the woman who was loading her back seat said "It's a good thing you're skinny".  I never thought I'd hear that from a stranger, although my wife calls me a skinny old man all the time. ;-)

I may have run into the same woman.

Yesterday I was in a local supermarket picking out some Lean Cuisine frozen meals and a woman came up to me and said: You don't need those, you're skinny. :D

I took my 10 year old granddaughter to the county fair tonight and rode every single carnival ride with no fear of not fitting on the seat or of being too heavy.  I felt very free.

20170803_182932.jpg

@msmarymac You look like you're having a great time! What a good feeling :) It's moments like these...

8 hours ago, msmarymac said:

I took my 10 year old granddaughter to the county fair tonight and rode every single carnival ride with no fear of not fitting on the seat or of being too heavy.  I felt very free.

20170803_182932.jpg

How wonderful. You look so happy.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 7:52 AM, DorkyCool said:

I didn't tell many people before I got my sleeve.  I've told just about everyone after the fact, with a predictable range of reactions, but I'd done my research, made my decision, and didn't want to be deterred.  But I have two friends, both very skilled and experienced nurses, who I turn to for med advice, so I talked to them.

They both got very serious and warned me that it is a terrible idea.  They've seen "so many" bad outcomes.

One works in peds and one in a pain office.  While their general knowledge is very good, neither has any experience with bariatrics, endicrinology, cardiology, etc.  So after a few frightening moments I had to realize that the outcomes they've seen are the same as the outcomes all of my negative relatives have seen -- they know somebody, or a few somebodies, who had the surgery.   No doubt a lot of people suffer badly after the surgery -- years of obesity takes a horrible toll, and we humans are more inclined to whine about our suffering than bleat about our triumphs.

If you tell people before your surgery, you may get the same -- the dire warnings, the pleadings not to do this.  Although some people are invested in you not changing, most people are sincere in their concern.  Advice is cheap, but when smart people you trust are staging an intervention, you should always stop and listen.

You should also trust your doctor(s), and yourself.  This is your health, and your life.  You have to make your decision based on the most reliable, tested information available.

If you're considering WLS, you already know the information:  People who struggle with obesity can sometimes lose weight, but they will probably regain it.  People who have WLS will lose, and will almost certainly keep at least part of that weight off.  If they stay engaged with the process, they will almost certainly reach and stay at a healthy weight.  People who stay obese suffer co-morbidities -- diabetes, heart disease, cancer, sleep apnea, loss of mobility, etc, and, as a result, and shortened life-span.  People who have WLS may already have some of those conditions, which increases the risks of the surgery and the complications afterward.

No matter how many individual cases are put before you, how anxious your daughters are, or how anxious you are, the simplified version of those facts is:  If you are obese, you are in danger.   Assuming you meet the criteria, WLS can save your life.

It's like chemo.  If you have a potentially deadly but treatable cancer, do you take the treatment?  The chemo is poison, basically.  You'll feel sick.  There are scary risks.  You may have pain, be on an emotional roller coaster, struggle with changes in your appearance.  But you swallow hard and give the nice nurse your vein, because you want to get to the other side and live.

Obesity is a life-threatening medical condition.  Seriously, dude, this isn't about fitting into the cute clothes or showing up your sister.  This is about saving your life.  And transforming your life -- being able to do some of the other things the normals have been doing all along, savoring the textures of our all-too-short time here.

So, speaking as a woman who is about 6 weeks out, struggling with body issues, nauseated about 20/7, can't figure out what the heck to eat (almost to the point of tears and I don't cry), can barely swallow even small pills so gags every morning, still has some pain, and sleep-walked through my first weeks back to work:

I would do it again.  I mean literally, if they said that I had to go back and do it again tomorrow to keep what I've got, I'd go without hesitation.

You aren't choosing between getting the surgery, with all that means, or not getting the surgery, and avoiding that pain.  You're choosing to live.

Live.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:28 PM, msmarymac said:

20170803_182932.jpg

My heart danced as I read this post!

Bending over forward to tie my shoes and not having to suck in my stomach while holding my breath to get it done is an awesome feeling! 

4 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

Bending over forward to tie my shoes and not having to suck in my stomach while holding my breath to get it done is an awesome feeling! 

Outstanding job, @Dtrain84! What an awesome milestone!  I am personally looking forward to that myself. 

All I want is to succeed. Nothing else matters. It's major surgery and there was a huge reason why you chose it! I know people screw up, I don't get it.

This week am hiking (can't  believe I am using this word; more like moderately strenuous walking) in the Italian Alps. Bought new hiking boots - first pair in > 30 years - and have been wearing lightweight synthetic fabric shirts that hang from my shoulders and chest and do not blob out around my stomach. My wife banned me from wearing those in public some years ago as they were not, um, flattering. It feels so liberating... I walked 10 or 12 kilometers with my 19 year old son, we were just walking and talking the two of us for 5+ hours -- and I kept thinking how precious this is. :wub:

I know, I know, none of you will believe this until I post a $!@#*& picture. Will do as soon as I can get a good internet connection....

3 words. Button. Up. Shirt. Silly, I know but man it feels good. A friend brings me bags of clothes as she's on her own weight loss journey. In the bag was the cutest button down denim shirt and I immediately threw it in the not keeping pile. I can never get a non plus sized button down over both my boobs and my belly. Also, this wasn't even an XL. Not going to happen.

I walked by a few times. Curious but not wanting to set myself up for disappointment. I finally pep talked myself up enough and put it on. Every single button buttoned. There's even room in it. What is life??

This morning I moved two button down shirts and a polka dot tiered top from the doesn't-fit side of my closet to the I-CAN-WEAR-IT! side.

P.S. How do you know if a shirt is button-up or button-down? What if I choose to start buttoning from the middle?