Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

3 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Amen to that!! I always feel like I'm wearing maternity tops!! I haven't encountered others wearing the same clothes as me, but I order everything from Roamans.com. I have, however, seen other beautiful obese (love it) ladies wearing the same outfits. I can't find anything off the rack that fits, but I think part of that is that I wear everything loose, and it needs to fall at least 32" long. 

I just noticed from your stats that you are almost under 300! Bravo!! This is an awesome milestone. :)

That's great!! You will be the driving force behind getting your friends to start getting healthy!! 4 miles is impressive :) I can't even walk to the end of my driveway yet...but I'll get there!

Trish, It's taken a while for me to walk that far. I couldn't walk down the street for the first couple of weeks. I had to rest halfway through the 4 miles, but I did it!

Sigh, all my friends are slim and athletic. I was always the "fat friend". :D

That is a huge change in shoe size! I never bought larger wedding rings, so my size 6's are patiently waiting for me in my jewelry box :) That's something I really can't wait for...to wear my rings again!

I can't wait to wear my wedding ring. It's sitting with my engagement ring in a safety deposit box at Bank of America. 

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Delicious. Did you get to buy all new shoes? 

My wedding band was immovable for years. It's still hard to remove - big knuckles are the problem now - but I woke up recently with the ring on my 5th finger, not my 4th... I fell asleep after delighting myself with the feeling of it on a different finger. It's now safely back where it belongs but what a thrill.  I am kind of hoping it rattles about. When we had the rings made, I was at my target weight, maybe I won't need it resized. Nice to think about. 

So am dreaming of a new suit, some custom shirts, and now.. more shoes. I could get to like this. 

Shoes, socks, bras and undies were the only things I bought new until I got into the normal BMI range for my height.  

I relied on Goodwill and Thrift stores for everything else although when I got into the single digit sizes, it was difficult finding suitable clothes for a woman in my her mid 50's.  And not being used to dressing fashionably, I ended up looking like a mid-50 year old cheap trick on a friday night!  :lol:

6 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Shoes, socks, bras and undies were the only things I bought new until I got into the normal BMI range for my height.  

I relied on Goodwill and Thrift stores for everything else although when I got into the single digit sizes, it was difficult finding suitable clothes for a woman in my her mid 50's.  And not being used to dressing fashionably, I ended up looking like a mid-50 year old cheap trick on a friday night!  :lol:

I'll have to tell my wife about this issue. She keeps me from looking too shabby... hates it if I don't look respectable with enough gravitas to match my age - and yet I still have many more pounds to go. 

35 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

Just prior to the beginning of the end (the start of this awful weight gain) in my mid 20's, I was very athletic. I biked, swam, climbed a nice mountain trail close by, walked 5-7 miles per day...and especially the walking was addicting, at least for me. I was not an overweight child or teen. It was very hard watching from the sidelines, when I was once a participant, many of the activities I once enjoyed. I can relate. I haven't heard of the book, but it sounds like something I'd like to read. I'd really really like to replace my food addiction with exercise again! I probably won't be able to return to the level and intensity of workouts I was used to, but I'm excited to at least be in the position to TRY :) There is definitely merit to discussing what activities are available to replace our food addictions!! I think we need more of that type of conversation here!

Nothing will come close to the intensity  of LIFE when we were young, and the whole world stretched ahead of us. Now of course all that intensity has been replaced by wisdom and experience (tears, tumult, joys, toil, time, and having somehow survived it all).  A perfect replacement. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I'll have to tell my wife about this issue. She keeps me from looking too shabby... hates it if I don't look respectable with enough gravitas to match my age - and yet I still have many more pounds to go. 

You are a lucky man.

Having never been anything less than severely overweight (except that I was born prematurely and was very skinny which lasted all of about 6 weeks when I started piling on the weight).  Prior to my WLS I have never had a time when I dressed fashionably.  Shopping when you need a 26 to 30 size is not an enjoyable experience. 

Loving this thread. So much support and inspiration here. :wub:

My NSV of this week: My jeans fit. They are a UK size 24 (that's a 20 in US sizing) so still "plus size" but every little bit counts.

I bought two pairs of jeans about two years ago and they quickly became too small. I refused to buy more because I was determined to find a diet that would help me lose weight to get back into them. Needless to say, I never did. So I've been living in leggings and my work trousers for about a year and a half. Just on a whim I got them out today and they slipped on with total ease. In fact they are a bit lose. I couldn't and still can't believe it.

34 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I bought a couple of suits and some dress pants (at Brooks Brothers, since I am an attorney) after I lost 50 pounds and another set of smaller work clothes a few months later after I lost another 50 pounds.  I did not buy a full wardrobe of clothing until I reached my current weight (at around 180 pounds) and maintained it for a month or two.  At this point I had lost a total of about 125 pounds.  I donated all my old clothing to Goodwill.

I kept on wearing my 18.5 inch neck Brooks Brothers cotton dress shirts as I lost weight.  When I reached my goal weight, I went into Brooks Brothers for new ones as the old ones had become unbelievably baggy.  The Brooks salesperson measured me and said that I would wear a 15.5 inch neck - I explained that she surely was wrong as this was way too small, but to humor her I tried one on.  The 15.5 inch neck shirts fit me perfectly and I still wear that size. 

It is truly wonderful to buy smaller sized clothing. 

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

I can't wait to wear my wedding ring. It's sitting with my engagement ring in a safety deposit box at Bank of America. 

It's coming!!!

3 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

It is truly wonderful to buy smaller sized clothing. 

Truthfully, I went through a spell where I dearly wanted to wear my clothes inside out so everyone could see the label stating a 4 or 6.

Trish, It's taken a while for me to walk that far. I couldn't walk down the street for the first couple of weeks. I had to rest halfway through the 4 miles, but I did it!

Oh boy, do I know that feeling! I'm the one that some of my friends like to be around, because I make them look thinner, ugh, lol. None of them know about my surgery. Should be interesting the next time I see any of them :) my friends aren't really slim and athletic, except for one, but more like "thinner than me" and like to hide behind that. Major denial going on there. One friend keeps asking me how I'm losing weight (this was all pre op), and I told her I gave up carbs. And I did. She says she could never do that. I say that's what you gotta do. What else can I say, right? She doesn't even want to try. At least I've tried, and tried...and tried!! As far as the walking...sighs...I can't make it to the end of my driveway...yet. :( But I will get there. Then a bit further. And so on. 

You are amazing and inspire me to try harder!!! 4 miles is just so awesome! :D You are no longer going to be that fat friend!!

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Nothing will come close to the intensity  of LIFE when we were young, and the whole world stretched ahead of us. Now of course all that intensity has been replaced by wisdom and experience (tears, tumult, joys, toil, time, and having somehow survived it all).  A perfect replacement. :rolleyes:

Yes!! :) 

I just noticed from your stats that you are almost under 300! Bravo!! This is an awesome milestone. :)

Thank you!! I cheated and hopped on the scale this morning. I've lost a whopping pound since surgery, lol. I know there is still swelling and water retention going on, so I didn't let it upset me too much. I'm horribly neurotic when it comes to the scale, and that's gotta change!! So I won't be updating my stats again until June 14th, my post op appt. I've gotta not let the numbers derail the big picture. But it is awesome that I'm almost under 300 :D

I was feeling a little A LOT overwhelmed emotionally and mentally today - trying to get my head together and my ducks in a row since getting my surgery date last Friday - July 11th is the big day (YAY!). I think I started the whole Hmmm....am I making the right decision? Will I feel left out when my kids are eating "yummy" things that I always joined in on? Am I strong enough to do this? Mourning food...etc. I know all of those things are for a different thread/topic, but I wanted to let you know that everyone who posted on this topic today just made me feel excited again about what is coming down the road - smaller bra sizes, clothes, shoes, ring sizes, keeping good friends around you constantly who inspire and uplift (and family too), and ability to physically move and appreciate it! I appreciate your words and the inspiration you all seem to be every time I need it - no matter where I am on the site! Here's to a bright future for all of us!

3 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

I was feeling a little A LOT overwhelmed emotionally and mentally today - trying to get my head together and my ducks in a row since getting my surgery date last Friday - July 11th is the big day (YAY!). I think I started the whole Hmmm....am I making the right decision? Will I feel left out when my kids are eating "yummy" things that I always joined in on? Am I strong enough to do this? Mourning food...etc. I know all of those things are for a different thread/topic, but I wanted to let you know that everyone who posted on this topic today just made me feel excited again about what is coming down the road - smaller bra sizes, clothes, shoes, ring sizes, keeping good friends around you constantly who inspire and uplift (and family too), and ability to physically move and appreciate it! I appreciate your words and the inspiration you all seem to be every time I need it - no matter where I am on the site! Here's to a bright future for all of us!

Trish13,

All of us have been there. I'm a newbie, but after my surgery I had all the same thoughts you expressed. Heck, right now I'm thinking of a nice warm brownie but being around for my daughter is more important than the immediate pleasure of food. If you search my name, you'll find that I made a tearful plea to the group a few weeks ago. This group has been wonderful to me and I suggest that you find support here or at a hospital support group.

Hooray for getting healthy! congrats on your surgery date.

I would like to say I'm feeling great today. It's almost 90 degrees outside today which is very warm for may in Oregon.... I was able to throw on a pair of Capri jeans and a tank and go! Never would have don't that before. It felt great, getting in and out of my car for appts and running errands, I was not overwhelmingly hot, sticky and irritated! I haven't felt that since my teens! August will be 2 years and I have not gained 1 pound nor lost 1 pound in almost 2 years!! That's amazing! I weigh myself maybe once every couple weeks because I do not Journal my food anymore and I eat pretty much what I want when I want now mind you, it is small portions, and I stop when I'm full but I do eat normal things I used to I just cut the sweets and carbs to a minimum. 

10 minutes ago, Amber76bailey said:

August will be 2 years and I have not gained 1 pound nor lost 1 pound in almost 2 years!! That's amazing! I weigh myself maybe once every couple weeks because I do not Journal my food anymore and I eat pretty much what I want when I want now mind you, it is small portions, and I stop when I'm full but I do eat normal things I used to I just cut the sweets and carbs to a minimum. 

This is the dream. Congrats, you're LIVING it!

38 minutes ago, Gretta said:

This is the dream. Congrats, you're LIVING it!

Totally!! Thank you!

8 hours ago, cinwa said:

You are a lucky man.

Having never been anything less than severely overweight (except that I was born prematurely and was very skinny which lasted all of about 6 weeks when I started piling on the weight).  Prior to my WLS I have never had a time when I dressed fashionably.  Shopping when you need a 26 to 30 size is not an enjoyable experience. 

Cinwa, all of that must have just been preparation (in some cosmic way) for your new You. Your postings breathe empathy and smarts.  Thanks for being there. 

11 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

That's great!! You will be the driving force behind getting your friends to start getting healthy!! 4 miles is impressive :) I can't even walk to the end of my driveway yet...but I'll get there!

Trish1967, you will get there. You have indomitable will. We'll celebrate your length-of-driveway walk.  

8 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Congratulations. Every step will beget the ability to do two more. You'll be your friends' hero for having been the "formerly fat friend" who conquered her diabetes too. 

8 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Cinwa, all of that must have just been preparation (in some cosmic way) for your new You. Your postings breathe empathy and smarts.  Thanks for being there. 

I didn't have my WLS until I was 52 1/2 and truthfully, I was at the bottom of a dark hole with just one hope of digging myself out.

WLS helped me lose my excess weight but at over 9 1/2 years post-op, it will not keep me there.  Thinner Times does that.

Me! Me! I have a(n) NSV! *waves hand*

Well, I don't know whether it counts, but I'll throw it on here anyway. My acupuncturist exclaimed that my face and neck are clearly thinner. She had to be very careful about placement because of the new situation. 

giphy.gif?response_id=5924580fff078e0e5a

1 hour ago, Carina said:

Me! Me! I have a(n) NSV! *waves hand*

Well, I don't know whether it counts, but I'll throw it on here anyway. My acupuncturist exclaimed that my face and neck are clearly thinner. She had to be very careful about placement because of the new situation. 

giphy.gif?response_id=5924580fff078e0e5a

Yes!