Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

15 hours ago, garnet dreams said:

This week's NSV is that I spent some time trying on clothes and sorting out things that are too big for me now. Yay for cleaning up clutter and packing up clothes for donation.

On the flip side, how do I deal with the anxiety this is causing that I will gain weight back and need these things again?

I gave away all of my large clothing as I lost weight. I did not keep any of my old large clothing since I have no intention of ever gaining this weight back, and I worried that having the old clothing around "just in case" would make it far too easy for me to accept gaining any weight back. 

I spent the day with my kids at our county fair. We go every year, but the last couple of years I just watched while they rode on all the roller coasters. I was too worried the seatbelt wouldn't close, or I wouldn't fit in the seat. I'm happy to say that  this year I rode everything! Spent all day walking and riding roller coasters. Every single one!!!!!!  Haven't had that much fun in a long time! 

1 hour ago, Cuban_Momma said:

I spent the day with my kids at our county fair. We go every year, but the last couple of years I just watched while they rode on all the roller coasters. I was too worried the seatbelt wouldn't close, or I wouldn't fit in the seat. I'm happy to say that  this year I rode everything! Spent all day walking and riding roller coasters. Every single one!!!!!!  Haven't had that much fun in a long time! 

That's awesome! I cannot wait to go on roller coasters again! Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

I bought a size 12 dress today! Size 12! Just a year ago it would have been a size 22/24!

Edited by HealthyJen

I can now do a full plank and hold it.  But what I noticed is that from being down on the floor I can get right up without groaning or using support to get me standing.  I'm pretty flexible but getting up from the floor always killed me.  I think I'm strengthening my legs quite a bit from all the exercise I do.

What is NSV?

NSV = non scale victory. 

1 hour ago, Readytotransform said:

What is NSV?

WLS verbage thinnertimesisms

I have a Jazz dinner this Saturday and decided my black dress pants were just not going to cut it. I went shopping last night and discovered I can now fit into a lovely pair of size sixteen's. I spent a few minutes tearing up as I have not been a size sixteen in over twelve years. It was amazing. Then I found out they were on sale PLUS I had an additional coupon. It just kept getting better and better! :) 

47 minutes ago, Sassypants said:

I have a Jazz dinner this Saturday and decided my black dress pants were just not going to cut it. I went shopping last night and discovered I can now fit into a lovely pair of size sixteen's. I spent a few minutes tearing up as I have not been a size sixteen in over twelve years. It was amazing. Then I found out they were on sale PLUS I had an additional coupon. It just kept getting better and better! :) 

I teared up in the fitting room at Old Navy when I out on a small sweater and size 6 jeans. Little did I know that I would ultimately buy a pair of jeans in size 4. I got smaller than the smallest clothes in my wardrobe, so in the past week I've bought three pairs of jeans and two pairs of slacks, all in size 6 except for the one pair of jeans, and I've bought two shirts and three sports bras (size small). All outer wear except one pair of jeans was on clearance, and that pair was 40% off with my Old Navy card, and two of the sports bras were on clearance.

1 hour ago, Sassypants said:

Don't buy too many size 16 items, as you should (and will) be in much much smaller sizes later this year. :). How would you feel about a size 8?

We recently took a family vacation across country to Disneyland.  I cannot believe how fine I was with the 6 hour flight in the tiny seats!  I also felt just fine riding the rides with my son.  Usually I feel like the lap bars are not secure enough for us to share because it fell so much higher with me sitting there... next to his tiny self.  I didn't feel like I was squeezing myself onto the rides!

More recently, I was moving things from a spare room and came across my 8 year old wedding dress.  Before relocating it, I asked my husband to help me try it on... We got it zipped all but about 3 inches.  He was afraid to hurt me, so it would probably go up all the way - tightly as it did on my wedding day.  Part of me would like to have a trash the dress party with that thing.... the other part of me still loves that dress the same as when I bought it!

7 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Don't buy too many size 16 items, as you should (and will) be in much much smaller sizes later this year. :). How would you feel about a size 8?

The smallest size I've got waiting for me currently is a 12, I can't wrap my head around an 8 :) I'm currently stocking up from thrift stores as I go and loving how many cute things I'm finding for pennies on the dollar

2 hours ago, Sassypants said:

The smallest size I've got waiting for me currently is a 12, I can't wrap my head around an 8 :) I'm currently stocking up from thrift stores as I go and loving how many cute things I'm finding for pennies on the dollar

You're only 5'2". You may very well find yourself in a size 2, maybe even a 0. I didn't think I'd be smaller than a 10 with the occasional 8. Instead, I'm solidly in a 6 with the occasional 4, and I'm not settled into a particular size yet. And I'm 5'6-1/2". Kind of freaky.

NSVs this week:

Starting in 2013ish I started having knee pain on stairs or riding a bike.  I was fine with walking, so I kept up with using the treadmill an hour a day 4 to 5 times a week.  When walking on stairs I'd have to put my right foot up first then bring my left foot to that step, doing the opposite on the way down.  My bike languished in the garage.  

Almost right after surgery in November 2015, the pain got worse, where even walking would hurt.  It was so frustrating because I could not do much cardio that I was supposed to be doing after surgery.  We all know the surgery is a tool, along with diet and exercise, and I could not use the treadmill, bike or elliptical to really kick weight loss into high gear.

I went to see an orthopedist who diagnosed arthritis and a shifted patella.  He sent me to PT, which I have been doing since January.  At first I was improving but then stagnated.  There were lots of exercises in my physical therapist's arsenal that I just could not do without stabbing pain.  I still can't do stairs.  Standing on my right leg with my left leg slightly bent (open chain) hurt like hell.  My balance is beyond terrible.

In a follow up with the ortho, he sent me for an MRI.  The results show chondromalacia.  No soft tissue damage, but the patella is shifted over and is tilted.  There is a significant bone bruise on the inside of the patella from rubbing.  Oh, and the snap-crackle-pop noises when I bend my knee are deafening!  How had I not heard that before?  He gave me a cortisone shot, which is just starting to kick in.  I tried walking up a step yesterday and it hurt but not nearly as bad as before.  So, yay progress.  I have fingers crossed that it will work well enough for me to start doing the workouts I should have been doing all along and to do more doing PT, which should only help too.

Take away for NSVs:

• Getting a diagnosis.
  • Getting treatment.
  • Getting more active soon.

Garnet

Edited by garnet dreams

Garnet, it's great to have a diagnosis and some relief from the inflammation, but what is the long term prognosis? You've had physical therapy, cortisone provides temporary relief, and your fitness goals require more than just basic function. By the way you describe it, would surgery to reposition the patella provide a durable solution?

1 hour ago, WendyH said:

Garnet, it's great to have a diagnosis and some relief from the inflammation, but what is the long term prognosis? You've had physical therapy, cortisone provides temporary relief, and your fitness goals require more than just basic function. By the way you describe it, would surgery to reposition the patella provide a durable solution?

Wendy,

I have a follow up appointment in July to see,where things are.  If cortisone isn't working for me I maybe looking at a kneecap replacement first and maybe a full knee replacement down the road.

Garnet 

1 minute ago, garnet dreams said:

Wendy,

I have a follow up appointment in July to see,where things are.  If cortisone isn't working for me I maybe looking at a kneecap replacement first and maybe a full knee replacement down the road.

Garnet 

I am so sorry that you are having all these health problems, but hopefully you will find a real solution soon.  In the meantime, most of us find that exercise has very little to do with weight loss after weight loss surgery (although it does contribute to feeling healthy), so you should still be able to continue to lose lots of weight even with minimal exercise as long as you stick to the proper post-surgery diet and drinks lots of liquids.  We are all here to support you fully on your quest to reach your goal weight and become skinny,, to gain a truly healthy body, and to maintain these conditions for the rest of your life (which should be very long at at a healthy weight).  You can and will do it!! :)

9 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I am so sorry that you are having all these health problems, but hopefully you will find a real solution soon.  In the meantime, most of us find that exercise has very little to do with weight loss after weight loss surgery (although it does contribute to feeling healthy), so you should still be able to continue to lose lots of weight even with minimal exercise as long as you stick to the proper post-surgery diet and drinks lots of liquids.  We are all here to support you fully on your quest to reach your goal weight and become skinny,, to gain a truly healthy body, and to maintain these conditions for the rest of your life (which should be very long at at a healthy weight).  You can and will do it!! :)

Res,

Thanks so much for your kinds words and encouragement.  I am sticking to plan and I am still losing weight but it's slowing down since I am about 25 lbs from my doctor's idea of a goal weight.  I am trying to be pragmatic.  Stalls happen.  The weight will come off when it comes off.  I know the exercise isn't the be all end all for weight loss, but it is important for toning muscles and feeling healthier, mentally as well as physically.  I WANT to be able to get on an elliptical or bike and work up a sweat.  I've been watching Extreme Weight Loss (love that show) and see how hard the people on it work out and I want to do that too, not solely for the weight loss, but for the increase in health and fitness.

I appreciate the support that everyone here gives to each other.  It's why I read and post here.  You guys (and girls) are all amazing!

Garnet

Edited by garnet dreams

Chores that used to take an entire day- like washing and grooming the dog, I knocked out in my morning this weekend which left me time to do a few day's worth of stuff in a few hours. I didn't realize how much my weight impacted my life and what I was doing on a daily basis.  

It's scale-related but not.  According to Fitbit, from where I started, I am now 80% of my way to my goal weight.  

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hadn't used my camera since 2011 and I was going through stored pictures from the last photo session. My girl friend and I couldn't figure out who the person was in the video and still shots...then I reaDSCN0569.JPGP7030010.JPGSenior Shopper - Copy.jpglized ....it was me!!!

quite a transformation.  i did that with a christmas photo.  it's mind-blowing when you don't recognize your old self.