Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

7 hours ago, msmarymac said:

Lucky you!  I think I must have done too much damage to my poor knees being so obese for so many years.  I am doing a "Couch to 5K" with a friend right now, but I can tell I am not going to be a runner.  My poor knees just ache.  And I was already walking around 4 miles a day but there's something about the running that my poor old knees just don't like :(

Knees are tricky. Take good care of them!

On 10/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, Jen581791 said:

My NSV of the week is definitely one that's been a while in coming: I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday (5k). Running is something I like OK if I'm light enough, like now, but after a big knee injury last winter and the ensuing opposite hip problem due to compensating for a limp in the aftermath of that, I haven't been able to run. In the last few months, I've been slowly babying the joints into being able to do that, and I'm proud to say that I ran without any pain, and have no pain this morning. Thank goodness for my lighter body. 

I'm in good enough shape now that my cardiovascular system isn't really a limiting factor in running - I don't really breathe very hard, even after 5k. My muscles are all fine with it, too. It's the knee and hip that have been stopping me, and I think I've sensibly and slowly built them up so they can take it now. Feeling good! 

Congrats on the NSV Jen. I read your post and was just thankful I'll never have to run a 5k.....running is one form on exercise my orthopaedic surgeon has said is never in my future....and that includes no treadmills ever!!!!! You seriously couldn't have wiped the smile of my face at the time.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:35 AM, Aussie Bear said:

I'm in good enough shape now that my cardiovascular system isn't really a limiting factor in running - I don't really breathe very hard, even after 5k. My muscles are all fine with it, too. It's the knee and hip that have been stopping me, and I think I've sensibly and slowly built them up so they can take it now. Feeling good!

HUGE NSV! Congratulations!! 

4 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

HUGE NSV! Congratulations!! 

That was @Jen581791....definitely not my NSV.....I couldn't run to save myself, and with screws in my foot wouldn't even try!

OOOOPS! Sorry @Jen581791! Congrats!! 

3 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

OOOOPS! Sorry @Jen581791! Congrats!! 

I just did 8k last night and really felt it. I need to work up to that a little more slowly. Maybe it was just because it was hot out?? And muggy? Yeah, that was it. 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:33 PM, Jen581791 said:

I just did 8k last night and really felt it. I need to work up to that a little more slowly. Maybe it was just because it was hot out?? And muggy? Yeah, that was it. 

8K? That's terrific!!!! I don't know if I'll ever be able to really run again. Too soon to tell, but I hope so. 

Yes, make sure to work up slowly! I trained for a 1/2 marathon a few years ago and got a stress fracture in my foot. Stopped me dead. It was my own fault. I was running about 9 miles, and then one day I went out and ran 14. Duh! Not good! 

13 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

8K? That's terrific!!!! I don't know if I'll ever be able to really run again. Too soon to tell, but I hope so. 

Yes, make sure to work up slowly! I trained for a 1/2 marathon a few years ago and got a stress fracture in my foot. Stopped me dead. It was my own fault. I was running about 9 miles, and then one day I went out and ran 14. Duh! Not good! 

Thanks! Stress fractures sound scary. I'm sticking right around 6-8k now, with plans to not increase by more than 10% per week, so hopefully that will go OK. IN my experience, injury > less exercise > weight gain > no exercise > more weight gain, so I'm on high alert!!

15 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

IN my experience, injury > less exercise > weight gain > no exercise > more weight gain, so I'm on high alert!!

I agree wholeheartedly!!

Can I just say,  I LOVE this thread... so cool to read!!!

although I still can't figure out for the life of me what NSV is...? I'm sure I'm going to kick myself that it was so obvious when I find out!

1 hour ago, Prattlebangs said:

Can I just say,  I LOVE this thread... so cool to read!!!

although I still can't figure out for the life of me what NSV is...? I'm sure I'm going to kick myself that it was so obvious when I find out!

Non scale victory. Things we can all appreciate even when the scale might not be moving.

4 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

Non scale victory. Things we can all appreciate even when the scale might not be moving.

Nope,  never would have got that! I worked out the gist of it though, that was pretty clear!

Today’s NSV - I just crawled through my dog door because I locked myself out of my house. Lol!

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:33 AM, Aussie Bear said:

And because the scale isn't the only thing to celebrate...far from it in fact :)

6 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

Today’s NSV - I just crawled through my dog door because I locked myself out of my house. Lol!

That is totally awesome and also totally not doable last year!!!!!

15 hours ago, Cardamom77 said:

That's a great one!! :D

Bought a kid's size (L 14-16) vest at Costco! Made me feel cute and youthful! :) 

12 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Bought a kid's size (L 14-16) vest at Costco! Made me feel cute and youthful! :) 

I love shopping in the kids section! Check out Old Navy too. Their girls XL (14/16) & boys L (10/12) is usually equivalent to a 0/2 in their women’s clothes, but their sizing is so generous I’ve even worn my 7 year old’s size S (6/7) shirts.

14 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Fun!!!  Pics???

12 hours ago, athenarose said:

I love shopping in the kids section! Check out Old Navy too. Their girls XL (14/16) & boys L (10/12) is usually equivalent to a 0/2 in their women’s clothes, but their sizing is so generous I’ve even worn my 7 year old’s size S (6/7) shirts.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm in clothes shopping mode now (for the first time in my entire life!), so I will definitely check out Old Navy. I had totally forgot that I can shop there now! Yay! I've always been embarrassed to go in there because they don't carry size 22. 

10 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Fun!!!  Pics???

haha! Sorry, I still hate pics of myself! I'm working on it! :P

5 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

haha! Sorry, I still hate pics of myself! I'm working on it! :P

I get that. Work in progress, right?

It's official! I just got back from my overnight sleep study. I don't need the CPAP machine anymore!!! YAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've worn it since May 2013 when I had a BMI of 38. (Little did I know then that I would go up to 43.) 

Anyway, I am thrilled. That machine was number 1 on my list of most hated obese issues. Sleeping with my face buried in my pillow never felt so good! :D

The sleep technicians were amazed at my story of 110# weight loss. They said they had no doubt that the weight loss was the reason for the sleep apnea going away. Suprisingly, it  felt really good to tell a health professional that didn't know me before surgery. They only met me last night and were very interested in how I lost the weight. I could tell they were excited too to see how I would sleep.

This experience gave me a new perspective on my recent struggles with maintenance. After surgery, as I was working on new foods and new habits, I felt very motivated. I remember telling my surgeon that I had NEVER had surgery before, and it was super strange for me to seek out this major surgery as I'm very conservative in my healthcare. So if I went to ALL this trouble to have major surgery, I was going to use this new tool to the BEST of my ability, and do everything right! I wasn't going to waste one day sabotaging this opportunity!

Well this morning when I think about how it felt to tell the sleep technician of my success, I have a similar feeling. Now I have not only gone through the surgery, but have gone through 9 months of postop work! I have worked hard at healing, eating right, taking vitamins, starting an exercise program, working on eating mindfully, changing my lifestyle, working on emotional eating - every day for 9+ months! And it has made a major impact on my weight. Now I should look at my current status and be super motivated to take the benefits of all my hard work. Just like before when I was determined to let nothing wreck the benefits from the surgery, now NOTHING is going to wreck the benefits of all this work I did to get to a healthy BMI! No fear, no motivation lapses, no holiday stress, no laziness is going to stop this girl! I have come too damn far to let anything take away my current health! I deserve to be happy and thin, and no one is going to take it from me, NOT EVEN ME!! 

(Sorry for the self-cheerleading. It feels more like a strong kick in the tush to quit whining and get working! :lol:

27 minutes ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

(Sorry for the self-cheerleading. ......

No need to apologise Cindy -  your surgeon gave you a tool and you have used it wisely.  Own your success and have pride in it.

Last night I was chatting with @CheeringCJ and showed her a pic of myself from yesterday.  My intention was to dress up to go in to work, then post a snazzy picture in the "what are you wearing today!" thread.  Instead I dressed super casual but at the end of the day took a selfie in the bathroom mirror.  Always in the past I've been super embarrassed to share pics of myself with friends.

And I was still pretty embarrassed.... because the bathroom mirror was FILTHY!  :D 

But I wasn't ashamed of myself or how I looked... and that is a big, big step forward for me.  (Or maybe a LITTLER step!)