Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

That IS great!!!  Good for you!  Now go give them away or toss them ;)

 

Already gone :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

That is hysterical...And wonderful at the same time!!!    Wonder if your hubby ever wonders what happened to that woman, or if he is just content to keep living with the one he is with now...haha!

My hubby died in the run up to my surgery CJ. My surgery was delayed by my surgeon when my husband died, he wouldn't allow me to make that kind of decision.....probably more to the point the commitment to lifestyle change.....at such a stressful time. The appointment where I was to give my decision was a mere 5 days after he died.

That said my hubby always sabotaged my weightloss attempts. I met him shortly after my original surgery and he ended that weightloss, and kept up the sabotage on every attempt at weightloss that came after that. I have no doubt whatsoever that I would not have been as successful as I have so far if he were still in my life.....harsh but true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

My sister has always been the tiny sister forEVER.  When we were little, even though she was 2 yr older than me, my mom  dressed us alike and we were always asked if we were twins (I was younger but her height and weight...eventually i passed her weight by a ton and they stopped asking!  Then I just became the big sister and she was the tiny sister).  It was a hard thing to live with....she was so tiny (so 0 or 1 tiny and I was the size 14 fatty...which in retrospect is amazing that I was a 14 and felt sooooo fat!).  Anyway, we were sitting on the hotel sofa and my sister remarked at how small my legs were....then she (not me) brought her leg over next to mine to compare and lo and behold for the first time in my 51 years, I was SMALLER THAN MY TINY SISTER!!!!  I was literally speechless and trying to not react bc I know how hard it is being the bigger one, I just ignored it but my insides were leaping up and down screaming!!!!! I love my sister and it wasn’t a put down but man, what an accomplishment!!!  I knew YOU guys would understand...no viciousness, just glory in my accomplishment!  

Ditto CJ, only I have two older sisters who until now we're always smaller than me. The middle sister is planning for her revision now.  I'll be seeing all my family at my mother's 90th birthday in about 6 weeks. Not only will I be the skinniest sister, I'll likely be as small as my skinnyist nieces. I'll be doing secret cartwheels in my head that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

My hubby died in the run up to my surgery CJ. My surgery was delayed by my surgeon when my husband died, he wouldn't allow me to make that kind of decision.....probably more to the point the commitment to lifestyle change.....at such a stressful time. The appointment where I was to give my decision was a mere 5 days after he died.

That said my hubby always sabotaged my weightloss attempts. I met him shortly after my original surgery and he ended that weightloss, and kept up the sabotage on every attempt at weightloss that came after that. I have no doubt whatsoever that I would not have been as successful as I have so far if he were still in my life.....harsh but true!

Yikes, I did know that, I forgot....sorry! 

I'm sorry for having to go through his loss, but I am.glad.you found the new you after it all!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Ditto CJ, only I have two older sisters who until now we're always smaller than me. The middle sister is planning for her revision now.  I'll be seeing all my family at my mother's 90th birthday in about 6 weeks. Not only will I be the skinniest sister, I'll likely be as small as my skinnyist nieces. I'll be doing secret cartwheels in my head that day.

I totally get that and we would never gloat bc "there but for the grace of God go I"....but I know we can do a victory dance like no other in our hearts!!!  What an accomplishment!!!!  And....come back.here and celebrate with us bc WE totally get it and will cartwheel with you!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MY NSV? I wore a bathing suit, granted i didn’t look great in it and underwater, it looked even worse bc of lose skin but i wore one w/o a skirt. (The only reason i did was bc i didnt’ have one that fit...my old swimsuits were grossly oversized in the bosoms department and i’ve Always been big so i always got the kind w/ underwire bras built in but they were humongous now....so I had to pull out an old one i bought but never used....and it had no skirt!  It was too late in the season to find one in the store and I didn’t want to order one at this point bc i don’t know what size i’ll be next summer, so this was it.  

I went to the pool for 3 days straight in it and survived.  Here is my sunburn to prove that I was able to wear something w/o a skirt or long shorts....it was the first time in decades this part of my body saw the light of day (ignore the stretch marks....I am sure you’ve all seen the ugly critters before, so pretend they aren’t there!) My husband even had the camera out and I didn’t die!)

E4A73D2B-6478-4A03-8E42-2BCFDDD8A6A1.jpeg

A49A5B20-8ACF-4214-A397-B2EAACA5E4CD.jpeg

788EC47A-4EF6-4FD3-821B-32861A68C518.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

I went to the pool for 3 days straight in it and survived.

It looks like you thrived! Good for you - what a feeling of freedom. 

Now slap some sunscreen on yourself before you do that again, young lady!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

It looks like you thrived! Good for you - what a feeling of freedom. 

Now slap some sunscreen on yourself before you do that again, young lady!

Thanks....and I did have sunscreen on....that is the gift of the blonde hair and fair skin.  I scorch and waterproof sunscreen is a myth to my skin!  I am religious about putting it on my face but my scalp line is scorched so I guess I stopped before my face did!  :rolleyes:  We live an hour from the coast but I never go to the beach because it is a nightmare for my skin....leaving burnt with sand on my skin is horrible.  Which is hard bc my hubby grew up at the shore and is Italian with gorgeous olive skin that just tans!  Most of my kids have the same skin as him which is fortunate but one of our daughters got my Irish skin...poor kid.  

(Oh and you can see I totally cover my face when I am there too bc I don’t want to get sunspots and wrinkles! Ha!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

Thanks....and I did have sunscreen on....that is the gift of the blonde hair and fair skin.  I scorch and waterproof sunscreen is a myth to my skin!  I am religious about putting it on my face but my scalp line is scorched so I guess I stopped before my face did!  :rolleyes:  We live an hour from the coast but I never go to the beach because it is a nightmare for my skin....leaving burnt with sand on my skin is horrible.  Which is hard bc my hubby grew up at the shore and is Italian with gorgeous olive skin that just tans!  Most of my kids have the same skin as him which is fortunate but one of our daughters got my Irish skin...poor kid.  

(Oh and you can see I totally cover my face when I am there too bc I don’t want to get sunspots and wrinkles! Ha!)

Yes, my natural tone is a rather bluish- white :( Living in the Middle East, I have just learned to cover up most of the time! Even so, I always look sort of tan, just from it being so sunny here all year long. Hats, sleeves, etc are my saviors. Don't you envy those people who don't have to worry so much about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Yes, my natural tone is a rather bluish- white :( Living in the Middle East, I have just learned to cover up most of the time! Even so, I always look sort of tan, just from it being so sunny here all year long. Hats, sleeves, etc are my saviors. Don't you envy those people who don't have to worry so much about it!

Absolutely!!!!!  And. I do tan too....after. I burn the red turns tan.   I am tan on my chest and arms from walking and being outside but that poor thigh was shocked by the sun!!! Haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 1:15 PM, CheeringCJ said:

How is potty training going?  My son (on the spectrum) had a difficult time w/ it....IM me if you want, i’ll fill you in more

@CheeringCJ Potty training was a bust. Little Miss K was acting out and we had to scale back. Her neuropsych told us that it was too soon and that the training would come in time. She occasionally sits on the potty, so I consider that a win! 

I will ping you when I have a few minutes free. xoxo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2018 at 7:13 PM, Aussie Bear said:

Ditto CJ, only I have two older sisters who until now we're always smaller than me. The middle sister is planning for her revision now.  I'll be seeing all my family at my mother's 90th birthday in about 6 weeks. Not only will I be the skinniest sister, I'll likely be as small as my skinnyist nieces. I'll be doing secret cartwheels in my head that day.

You better wear your hottest outfit for that party @Aussie Bear! I can’t wait for you to report back to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 9:46 PM, CheeringCJ said:

MY NSV? I wore a bathing suit, granted i didn’t look great in it and underwater, it looked even worse bc of lose skin but i wore one w/o a skirt. (The only reason i did was bc i didnt’ have one that fit...my old swimsuits were grossly oversized in the bosoms department and i’ve Always been big so i always got the kind w/ underwire bras built in but they were humongous now....so I had to pull out an old one i bought but never used....and it had no skirt!  It was too late in the season to find one in the store and I didn’t want to order one at this point bc i don’t know what size i’ll be next summer, so this was it.  

I went to the pool for 3 days straight in it and survived.  Here is my sunburn to prove that I was able to wear something w/o a skirt or long shorts....it was the first time in decades this part of my body saw the light of day (ignore the stretch marks....I am sure you’ve all seen the ugly critters before, so pretend they aren’t there!) My husband even had the camera out and I didn’t die!)

E4A73D2B-6478-4A03-8E42-2BCFDDD8A6A1.jpeg

A49A5B20-8ACF-4214-A397-B2EAACA5E4CD.jpeg

788EC47A-4EF6-4FD3-821B-32861A68C518.jpeg

Ouch @CheeringCJ! That looks painful. You couldn’t tell by your final picture because you look completely happy! 

Its funny that you mention your stretch marks because I wouldn’t have noticed them at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 1:06 AM, Jen581791 said:

Yes, my natural tone is a rather bluish- white :( Living in the Middle East, I have just learned to cover up most of the time! Even so, I always look sort of tan, just from it being so sunny here all year long. Hats, sleeves, etc are my saviors. Don't you envy those people who don't have to worry so much about it!

@CheeringCJ @Jen581791 You would think with all my melanin that I would be safe from the sun. I blister and burn even with sunscreen. BOO! The next time I go to the beach, I will post a picture of my suit. SPF leggings and a rash guard. Sessy! 

I hope your burn healed quickly, CJ!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@CheeringCJ @Jen581791 You would think with all my melanin that I would be safe from the sun. I blister and burn even with sunscreen. BOO! The next time I go to the beach, I will post a picture of my suit. SPF leggings and a rash guard. Sessy! 

I hope your burn healed quickly, CJ!

Thanks,  i just had my husband rub aloe and lotion on my back.  I’ve been doing my legs but not my back bc i can’t reach it and it is getting itchy now but boy does it hurt when i try to gently rub it.  I hate sunburn but i did it to myself.  I was out about an hour and in the pool about 45 mins of that time and the sunscreen washes off too easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CheeringCJ said:

Thanks,  i just had my husband rub aloe and lotion on my back.  I’ve been doing my legs but not my back bc i can’t reach it and it is getting itchy now but boy does it hurt when i try to gently rub it.  I hate sunburn but i did it to myself.  I was out about an hour and in the pool about 45 mins of that time and the sunscreen washes off too easily.

Owww. For the future Vaniguard and Blue Lizard make pretty good sunscreens. Gentle hugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@CheeringCJ Potty training was a bust. Little Miss K was acting out and we had to scale back. Her neuropsych told us that it was too soon and that the training would come in time. She occasionally sits on the potty, so I consider that a win! 

I will ping you when I have a few minutes free. xoxo

My son wasn’t trained for BMs until he was 6! You know the old saying “he won’t go off to kindergarten in diapers?  Well, it didn’t work for me!  The problem is he couldn’t sit on the potty bc there was nothing under him...it is a spacial awareness thing and he couldn’t stand the sensation of sitting on something w/ no bottom to it, so he really struggled with it.  He knew he had to go, just couldn’t sit on the potty so he would ask for a diaper and then go squat in the corner, poo, then bring me the wipes, I would clean him up and put his underwear back on him.  It was a little frustratiing hearing others complain about it, but I had potty trained my first 4 kids triumphantly so it wasn’t my skill....and they didn’t seem to understand his limitations.  (Btw, he was urine trained at 5 bc he could stand up but still that was pretty late.  It wasn’t a sensation he was famliliar with so it didn’t register well for him....all sensory things)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

You better wear your hottest outfit for that party @Aussie Bear! I can’t wait for you to report back to us. 

Maybe not "hottest outfit" because it's in the country, but I'll definitely be aiming for something that highlights the "skinny". Gotta rub it in with a few people while I can.....haha!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New NSV: Fastest ride of the year to date on my bike today.

Have a set ride on the Minuteman Bikeway that connects Cambridge, Arlington, Lexington and Bedford (yes, all of Revolutionary War fame). Modest up and down hills (nothing brutal). 13.77 miles today in 47'14" or 17.5 miles per hour on average. :D Plus my cycling jerseys are now so big some of them flap in the wind and must be aerodynamic hindrances, and my cycling shorts that were way too tight are at risk of falling off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

New NSV: Fastest ride of the year to date on my bike today.

Have a set ride on the Minuteman Bikeway that connects Cambridge, Arlington, Lexington and Bedford (yes, all of Revolutionary War fame). Modest up and down hills (nothing brutal). 13.77 miles today in 47'14" or 17.5 miles per hour on average. :D Plus my cycling jerseys are now so big some of them flap in the wind and must be aerodynamic hindrances, and my cycling shorts that were way too tight are at risk of falling off.  

They are ALL great NSVs!!!!!!  Congrats!  Job well done!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

New NSV: Fastest ride of the year to date on my bike today.

Have a set ride on the Minuteman Bikeway that connects Cambridge, Arlington, Lexington and Bedford (yes, all of Revolutionary War fame). Modest up and down hills (nothing brutal). 13.77 miles today in 47'14" or 17.5 miles per hour on average. :D Plus my cycling jerseys are now so big some of them flap in the wind and must be aerodynamic hindrances, and my cycling shorts that were way too tight are at risk of falling off.  

Performance-based NSVs seem extra meaningful. You can do things you couldn't before! That means you are getting younger instead of older ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, NerdyToothpick said:

@CheeringCJ Potty training was a bust. Little Miss K was acting out and we had to scale back. Her neuropsych told us that it was too soon and that the training would come in time. She occasionally sits on the potty, so I consider that a win! 

I will ping you when I have a few minutes free. xoxo

My littlest has ASD and potty training was an event for us. . . Good luck with your little one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took my measurements again last night. Haven’t done it in a while. I did not measure my thighs pre op for whatever reason...but I’ve lost a total of 109.5 inches on the body parts I did measure :) 

Neck-4, each wrist-.75, right bicep-6.5, left bicep-7.5, right calf-3, left calf-3.5, waist-26.25, under breast (band size?)-13.25, breast-21, hips-23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My NSV of the week is definitely one that's been a while in coming: I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday (5k). Running is something I like OK if I'm light enough, like now, but after a big knee injury last winter and the ensuing opposite hip problem due to compensating for a limp in the aftermath of that, I haven't been able to run. In the last few months, I've been slowly babying the joints into being able to do that, and I'm proud to say that I ran without any pain, and have no pain this morning. Thank goodness for my lighter body. 

I'm in good enough shape now that my cardiovascular system isn't really a limiting factor in running - I don't really breathe very hard, even after 5k. My muscles are all fine with it, too. It's the knee and hip that have been stopping me, and I think I've sensibly and slowly built them up so they can take it now. Feeling good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

My NSV of the week is definitely one that's been a while in coming: I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday (5k). Running is something I like OK if I'm light enough, like now, but after a big knee injury last winter and the ensuing opposite hip problem due to compensating for a limp in the aftermath of that, I haven't been able to run. In the last few months, I've been slowly babying the joints into being able to do that, and I'm proud to say that I ran without any pain, and have no pain this morning. Thank goodness for my lighter body. 

I'm in good enough shape now that my cardiovascular system isn't really a limiting factor in running - I don't really breathe very hard, even after 5k. My muscles are all fine with it, too. It's the knee and hip that have been stopping me, and I think I've sensibly and slowly built them up so they can take it now. Feeling good! 

Lucky you!  I think I must have done too much damage to my poor knees being so obese for so many years.  I am doing a "Couch to 5K" with a friend right now, but I can tell I am not going to be a runner.  My poor knees just ache.  And I was already walking around 4 miles a day but there's something about the running that my poor old knees just don't like :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now