Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

My mother and I both had appointments today, so I decided to let her take my car and just drop me off for my rehab. I was tempted last night to just walk to meet up with her when I was done my appointment, but she said to me no, you can't do that, that is way too far and you won't make it, besides, your diabetic! 

:blink:

So, I decided not to. Then I came across @Jen581791s latest blog, and was super inspired. What stuck out most to me was that she wasn't even sure if she would be able to do all the walking that she was hoping to do - but figured she will never know unless she tries. So I went for it. And I did it. I completed a 55 min walk, apx 3.6km - which is the longest walk I have been able to do in years. Was I super sore? You betcha - I have never felt so alive and so dead at the same time either lol. But I couldn't be prouder of myself. And when I made it to our meet up spot, I was sure to inform my mother that her lack in faith of whether I could do it or not was actually my biggest motivator. 

Yes, I may have some 'authority' issues, but whatever works lol. 

2 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

...........I went for it. And I did it. I completed a 55 min walk, apx 3.6km - which is the longest walk I have been able to do in years. Was I super sore? You betcha - I have never felt so alive and so dead at the same time either lol. But I couldn't be prouder of myself. And when I made it to our meet up spot, I was sure to inform my mother that her lack in faith of whether I could do it or not was actually my biggest motivator. 

Yes, I may have some 'authority' issues, but whatever works lol. 

I'm so proud of you and I'm sure everyone else here is too and just to show how slow I am with getting with the metric thing, I had to convert that to miles.  You walked almost 2 1/4 miles in under 1 hour.  That's outstanding! 

Tyvm @cinwa :D I am quite happy about it. :wub: 

7 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

I completed a 55 min walk, apx 3.6km - which is the longest walk I have been able to do in years.

I love this! Yay for you!!! Sometimes you need to show yourself what you can do :) Honestly, it gets easier and easier the lighter you get. You'll be so pleasantly surprised. 

Very pleased my blog had a direct effect on your day. I'm so happy to pay it forward, as I found so many inspiring stories here to draw from. 

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The biggest leap I read is that you believed in yourself. That's a more powerful muscle than your sore leg muscles. SO GREAT! I'm glad you shared this!

I had an unexpected NSV just now. I've been walking as my form of exercise, working up from the one lap of the surgery hospital hall walking to 3-4 miles 4-5 time per week. I love getting outside, even in Houston heat, as it's very calming for me. 

Anyway, I usually walk at a pace of 18-20 minutes, depending on the day. This morning my pace was measured for 4 miles at 16:40! Sub 17 minutes per mile!!!! That sounds like a walking person, and not a strolling person! And I wasn't huffing and puffing or trying to go fast! 

It's certainly not breaking any records, but it feels like a victory because it wasn't sought after or forced, just a healthy consequence of weight loss, and slowly getting in better heart health. I'm pretty excited! :rolleyes:

I went from having 4-5 drinks every day to having 2 glasses of wine in the last 3.5 weeks.  I was getting to the point that on weekends, I'd have to drink even more to "feel a buzz" but I'd never get drunk.  Either my tolerance got pretty high or my fat was absorbing a lot of it. But it was making me feel bloated but and not feeling good every day. I gained 35 lbs over the last 2 years as I continued to drink more each evening.  But then, as I it did for me with cigarettes over 5 years ago, something clicked in my brain.  Something I KNEW and I mean I really knew it - but drinking was stopping me from losing weight and feeling less bloated. And so I cut down. WAY DOWN.  So now, it's not about feeling good or loosening up or being social with my friends and every event revolving around drinking and hanging out, it's about being social without the alcohol.  Just a nice glass of water with lemon instead. (I make them still put it in a drink glass so I feel like I'm still participating!) The glass of wine I had twice over the last almost month? Were more enjoyable to me.  I could taste it better, I could sip it and enjoy!  I'd missed the simple joy of enjoying a drink instead of just mindlessly drinking because I was actually thirsty.  It's helped me be able to drink over 80oz of water a day ever since.  Because my body isn't immediately absorbing that water to rehydrate and heal, it's just naturally keeping me balanced.  And I know this is a NSV, but as you can guess it has affected the scale too...I've lost 8 lbs since. :D

@Brattykid, Fantastic!!!! Your taking charge of your new healthy habit will effect so many different parts of your health! Calories, liver, heart, mind, scale! Way to go! Huge accomplishment!!!! Kudos to you!!!! 

Fantastic job @Cindy Lou Who & @Brattykid! These are two awesome nsv's to have. Give yourselves a big pat in the back ;)

Ok this will only impress any of you who have ever been overweight.....;)

I make it a point to eat at my desk and then walk thru lunch. I have thirty mins and can get in at least a mile and a half. I've been doing it even through the heat wave with no problem. Today I nearly didn't go. It's the first day I wore a dress without stockings and ladies, you KNOW what that means!!! I decided I'd go and see how it went. A first I just walked around the plaza never going far from my building. When I realized I wasn't chaffing I took off for further streets. I did my 1.5 miles and made it safely back with out the rub!  Granted my thighs are still big and couldn't have gone much further without them fighting back, but I almost didn't go bc of them and I made it!!!!  Yeah me...yeah less thunder in the thighs!!!

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

Ok this will only impress any of you who have ever been overweight.....;)

I make it a point to eat at my desk and then walk thru lunch. I have thirty mins and can get in at least a mile and a half. I've been doing it even through the heat wave with no problem. Today I nearly didn't go. It's the first day I wore a dress without stockings and ladies, you KNOW what that means!!! I decided I'd go and see how it went. A first I just walked around the plaza never going far from my building. When I realized I wasn't chaffing I took off for further streets. I did my 1.5 miles and made it safely back with out the rub!  Granted my thighs are still big and couldn't have gone much further without them fighting back, but I almost didn't go bc of them and I made it!!!!  Yeah me...yeah less thunder in the thighs!!!

This was such a revelation for me! Not too long ago, I wore a dress with nothing but my undies underneath out with friends because I didn't think I'd be doing much walking. I live in Arkansas, y'all, so it's basically like a sweaty armpit here from late April to October. Anyway, we ended up having to walk about a mile and I remember realizing, about halfway through the walk, that my thighs weren't ripped to shreds! It was like the heavens opened up and angels sang! Haha! 

I have a few NSV's for this week:

1. I rode my bike to and from the homeless day center where I work. Only about 6 miles total, but it was AWESOME and made me want to ride everywhere. It is so much easier to ride now! 
2. I went to roller derby practice last week and did not die! I hurt for 3 days (muscle pain and a couple of decent size bruises on my butt), but it was pretty great anyway. 
3. I did yoga! Also I might do this little tiny yoga routine every morning because it's really good stretching for the aforementioned bike rides and skating. 
4. I donated 5 bags of clothes to a local thrift store! FIVE BAGS. Those bags represented the 5 sizes I've dropped since surgery!

AWESOME @Cardamom77!!!  Great NSVs and love the five sizes gone.  I donated a few big bags myself yesterday!  (And bought a bunch of new ones...our salvation army was opened yesterday and all clothes were 50% off! All new jeans for me! All 14s and 12s!

New NSV:

Was at a big party in Texas on July 3rd... lots of friends of close relatives at their birthday event... and somehow I overheard myself described as that "...tall wiry guy over there; I bet he has been that way all his life."

Pffft. 

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

New NSV:

Was at a big party in Texas on July 3rd... lots of friends of close relatives at their birthday event... and somehow I overheard myself described as that "...tall wiry guy over there; I bet he has been that way all his life."

Pffft. 

You should have gone over and introduced yourself to them by name, and then said "but you can call me by my nickname, which is slim."  If you could pull that off, it would be amazing.:D

WOW, WOW, WOW! Love all the NSV's!! 

On 7/6/2018 at 11:41 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

"...tall wiry guy over there; I bet he has been that way all his life."

Incredible! Carry this one with you every day, every minute! What a great one! So glad you got to hear it!

On 7/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, Cardamom77 said:

1. I rode my bike to and from the homeless day center where I work. Only about 6 miles total, but it was AWESOME and made me want to ride everywhere. It is so much easier to ride now! 
2. I went to roller derby practice last week and did not die! I hurt for 3 days (muscle pain and a couple of decent size bruises on my butt), but it was pretty great anyway. 
3. I did yoga! Also I might do this little tiny yoga routine every morning because it's really good stretching for the aforementioned bike rides and skating. 
4. I donated 5 bags of clothes to a local thrift store! FIVE BAGS. Those bags represented the 5 sizes I've dropped since surgery!

These are all great! Love all the exercise and trying new things! And 5 sizes! Yeah, Baby! Way to go!!!!!

On 7/5/2018 at 12:39 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Yeah me...yeah less thunder in the thighs!!!

I can totally relate to this one! Will I ever not fear chafing? That's a huge accomplishment! 

I've had an NSV this week too. My husband and I got invited to go on a boat and swim with some friends of his from high school whom I had never met. Wait - I had to wear a bathing suit around people I had never met before? Anxiety for DAYS leading up to it! 

After the event, the next day, my husband said, "You looked really nice yesterday in your swimming outfits. They looked great on you." People, he NEVER comments on how I look. I've always liked that because I usually it makes me feel selfconscious, and I appreciate that he loves me for my "inside." Upon hearing his comment, I instantly got tears of joy in my eyes!  This journey has so many joy moments, and this is one I'll hang onto for a long long time. 

Here is a pic. I also had a solid turquoise top on underneath to swim in. 

Capture.JPG.37da10ae7ca9cbf82235b49f1a167584.JPG

Sorry, don't know how to turn the image! Haha!

1 hour ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Incredible! Carry this one with you every day, every minute! What a great one! So glad you got to hear it!

These are all great! Love all the exercise and trying new things! And 5 sizes! Yeah, Baby! Way to go!!!!!

I can totally relate to this one! Will I ever not fear chafing? That's a huge accomplishment! 

I've had an NSV this week too. My husband and I got invited to go on a boat and swim with some friends of his from high school whom I had never met. Wait - I had to wear a bathing suit around people I had never met before? Anxiety for DAYS leading up to it! 

After the event, the next day, my husband said, "You looked really nice yesterday in your swimming outfits. They looked great on you." People, he NEVER comments on how I look. I've always liked that because I usually it makes me feel selfconscious, and I appreciate that he loves me for my "inside." Upon hearing his comment, I instantly got tears of joy in my eyes!  This journey has so many joy moments, and this is one I'll hang onto for a long long time. 

You look GREAT! Where did you get this?! I want one! (Nice legs by the way!)

Before I went to the hospital last week I decided to have a piece of my favorite cake ever. I knew this blood clot was at least kind of serious so I thought if anything goes really wrong, I'd like that cake one last time. I bought it on a Friday and nibbled on it on and off until Sunday afternoon. I wondered if I'd be craving it in the days to come. I didn't crave it while I was in the hospital. The only thing I wanted was to get out of there. And, once I was home, I didn't think about it. Yesterday I took some goodies from the bakery where I get this cake to my ICU nurses as a thank you for taking such good care of me. I saw my favorite cake in the display case, waved to it and moved on. I didn't even have to argue with my food demon about  if I should buy a piece for myself or not. 

Sooooo glad it wasn't your "last meal"!!! and also glad your demon was sheepishly silent :)

9 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Before I went to the hospital last week I decided to have a piece of my favorite cake ever. I knew this blood clot was at least kind of serious so I thought if anything goes really wrong, I'd like that cake one last time. I bought it on a Friday and nibbled on it on and off until Sunday afternoon. I wondered if I'd be craving it in the days to come. I didn't crave it while I was in the hospital. The only thing I wanted was to get out of there. And, once I was home, I didn't think about it. Yesterday I took some goodies from the bakery where I get this cake to my ICU nurses as a thank you for taking such good care of me. I saw my favorite cake in the display case, waved to it and moved on. I didn't even have to argue with my food demon about  if I should buy a piece for myself or not. 

Great restraint!  How are you doing?  Recovering well?

What an awesome NSV @Stephtay, and I am so glad you are OK! 

@Cindy Lou Who, you look amazing, look at the muscles on yah! 

Great work guys :)

On 7/11/2018 at 11:53 AM, Cindy Lou Who said:

Love the cover up!  You look great!

On 7/11/2018 at 12:56 PM, Stephtay said:

You look GREAT! Where did you get this?! I want one! (Nice legs by the way!)

Land's End. The top is a sunscreen. And the skirt is a swim  skirt. Then they have tops to make. Lots of colors and styles...

Thanks for the kind words, @Stephtay!

Tops to match!

I ordered some size 12 jeans from a store where they said they "run small," thinking I would shrink into them. I took them out of the box and went "Oh, there's no way these will fit!" Except they did fit. Which I should have expected as ALL of my size 14 things are too big now.

I know I shouldn't complain, but I feel like I'm constantly having to run to the thrift store to buy things to wear to work. Haha! Pretty much all of the plus size places that I shopped started at a size 14, so I guess I'm out of plus sizes now. That's so strange!

Hubby has a nice job perk. Reciprocal program...which allows us to enjoy a bunch of activities for free, because his company does the same for the company he vendors for. Anyhow, we went to a nice little aquarium for the day on Tuesday. No charge to get in. I got to pet stingrays, and feed coy :) It was a lot of fun. 

Problem is, the aquarium is almost 2 hours from home. I didn't pack food like I usually do. So, of course, by the time we were done, I needed to eat. We stopped at a local chain restaurant...and I'm thinking great, there goes my plan for the day. But, luckily, they had baked scallops and fresh steamed veggies. The scallops came covered with bread crumbs, which I scraped off. I did eat a few bites of hubby's mashed potatoes, and enjoyed EVERY morsel, lol. But there were 12 scallops. I ate 6. Plus I ate 3 mini steamed carrots. I had one TINY bite of hubby's ice cream desert. 

This was a huge win for me!! I kept thinking of how much I would have eaten pre op, and what I would have chosen, and how proud I was of myself that I don't do that now. I still want to sometimes, but I don't anymore. I'm still amazed at how much I've changed when it comes to food choices and eating out. 

Do I always make the best choices? Hell no!! But the fact that I analyze every food choice I do make, and about 90% of the time I make good choices...that's huge!! Loving life right now ❤️❤️❤️